12-24 or 10-24 underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D200

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Given the choice of just these two lenses for underwater wide use on a crop body do either of these give sharper results at around the f/7.1-f/8 mark (behind an Ikelite 8" dome)?

I did a search, but I'm sure this must have been asked previously :idk:

I have never been very happy with my 12-24 on my D200 (Subal). Just not a crisp in most cases, especially for the price of the lens. I think a 10-20 Sigma would have been at least as good of an option for about half the price. I use my 16mm Fish eye more often. I am looking to pick up something in the 20-55 range for mid-distance open water creature shots.

Interesting... the 16mm was on my shortlist, but along with the Tokina 10-17 I'm not sure I can justify the expense for a lens only really useful to me underwater. Decisions decisions, maybe I should just bite the bullet and think of underwater as a completely separate lens decision making process (which it is really)

In your choice, the 10-24 is the only lens that made me (fisheye lover) happy underwater

It was interesting to see Ken Rockwell compare the Nikkor 10-24 against the Tokina 11-16mm and even recommends the Tokina over the Nikkor if your camera can AF with it and dont need the longer zoom range of the 10-24. Also the Tokina 11-16 is $200 cheaper than the 10-24.

I would really like to have a comparison of the Nikkor 10-24 with the Tokina 10-17.

Regards Mark

Thank you guys for your replies, very much appreciated :cool3:

If only the 11-16 Tokina was available anywhere here in the UK to even try it, it appears to be on back order constantly.

Thank you guys for your replies, very much appreciated :cool3:

If only the 11-16 Tokina was available anywhere here in the UK to even try it, it appears to be on back order constantly.

warehouse have it in stock fella

Had the 10-24 got rid of it, don't use my Nikon 10.5, LOVE my 10-17mm Tokina. Shooting Nikon D200, Aquatica, 9.5 dome.

Samples
4522283486_5a2dbc47aa_o.jpg

4476730133_77699e72e0_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom