12 year old son getting too cold,so cal,water temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am trying to get an answer to that myself!!! Me in So Cal, and in redlands. Me get cold!!! I am 13 1/2 and it is cold in the ocean!!! I can only last an half hour but push myself. Check my post out, it may help out dearly!!

" Tips for staying toasty warm " (Or something like that)

Keep in mind that adding another layer will also mean he has to wear more weight ... you want to make sure he can handle that.

Unfortunately, with kids this age there's just not a lot of body heat to warm up the suit ... and they get cold no matter what you do. You may have to resign yourself to short dives with him till hormones kick in and he fills out a bit ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The item that will work the best for keeping him warmer will be a hooded vest. Having that hood to keep the water from flushing down the back of the neck makes a tremendous amount of difference.
You might also want to consider an inexpensive suit to go along with that hooded vest; I know a wholesaler in your area that might still have some inexpensive 7mm "semi-dry" suits for under a hundred bucks.
Check the size charts: http://www.scubaboard.com/t43915.html

saintsfan:
55-58 deg. i am trying to figure out the best way to keep him warm,he can last only about 20 min then its time to head in.I am leaning towards a 2 mil shorty under a 7 mil wetsuit and of course a hood,I am using rental wetsuits for him so he wont outgrow them every 6-8 months so i am limited there.any suggestions would be appreciated,any ideas on how to keep your face warmer I dont have any ideas for that

your idea might work. It's all about limiting the amount of water circulation in the suit. You can also buy neoprene vests.

Also if you look around you might find "semi-dry" wetsuits (just a better mouse trap) to rent. They have better seals, especially around the neck and that will help limit water circulation.

Finally, a trilam drysuit might be an option if he has good enough skills to handle one. That way you make it as warm or cold as you like. I usually switch from wet to dry at about 55F too.

R..

No matter what type of wetsuit you buy your son, taping the legs and wrists and pouring in lukewarm (NOT hot) water just before entering the water will aid in keeping him warmer longer. Wearing the hooded vest beneath the top is the other key item.

He'd be much more comfortable in a drysuit. One thing to watch for is specials. I outfitted two kids also, so am aware of the costs. Still, if they are to enjoy the sport and want to go with you, keeping them comfortable will be important. Used drysuits can be found from time to time that will work nicely. Here is one site to keep your eye on:
http://www.dui-online.com/newsite/fr.htm

Saintsfan,

You could try a custom suit for your son, I used Liquid Fit when my 13 year old son and I dove Lake Superior last year. Temps in the forties on two of our dives. Having a wetsuit that fits will make a big difference for your son. You will also want a hooded vest, thick booties and gloves.

Liquid Fit is recommended quite often on this board and here is why I will recommend them. They can alter your suit for less than $50 each time your son outgrows the current version. Yes you have an initial investment in a suit, but it will be worth it when your son tells you that he managed to stay warm during the dive. I could not be happier with the suit that James got and he was able to pick his colors and is already planning for the colors of the extensions on the arms and legs. Carolyn and her company can also expand the suit to accomidate additional girth.

My son James was 5'5" and about 101lbs. when I tried to find him a suit at my local LDS. We tried on every type of suit that they carried including combinations of womens and mens suits looking for the right combination. The suits were either to big in the chest neck area allowing for scooping of water or to big in the legs allowing for the circulation of water.

You could also look at the Bare line as they make some junior suits as well, I think price wise they were pretty comparable to the Liquid Fit suit.

Mitten Diver

I am 18 years old,In the cold water,I always wear my drysuits(DUI),It is warm and dry

saintsfan:
55-58 deg. i am trying to figure out the best way to keep him warm,he can last only about 20 min then its time to head in.I am leaning towards a 2 mil shorty under a 7 mil wetsuit and of course a hood,I am using rental wetsuits for him so he wont outgrow them every 6-8 months so i am limited there.any suggestions would be appreciated,any ideas on how to keep your face warmer I dont have any ideas for that

I have my 12 yo son wearing a 3 mil shorty and a hooded vest under his wetsuit. He is 5'3" and skinny as a rail, as well. I have finally determined that I need to either get him an additional vest to wear on the outside of the wetsuit or I need to have the wetsuit I did buy (for only $75 on sale) customized a bit. It fits well in the body, but under the arms allows too much circulation. The shortie and vest help, but also constricts him. There is a lady in Huntington that customizes named Barbara Mao, call Laguna Sea Sports to get the number. She also puts in zippers on the legs [his feet are too big! :wink:] for only $20.

I think, bottom line, when we start our kids diving young, we are responsible for investing in the proper equipment, including a proper fitting wetsuit. Although, I know my son would love a drysuit...If I don't have one, he doesn't get one either !!!

I am 16 years old,In the cold water,I always wear my drysuits(DUI),It is warm and dry

Back
Top Bottom