13 Divers Rescued Off North Carolina Coast As Boat Springs Leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
From: 13 divers rescued after boat takes on water | StarNewsOnline.com | Star-News | Wilmington, NC

bilde

A yacht that rescued passengers from a boat that began taking on water arrives Wednesday at the Bridge Tender Marina in Wrightsville Beach. Thirteen passengers were rescued from a dive boat operated by Aquatic SafariS when the boat started taking on water more than 20 miles southeast of Wrightsville Beach in the Atlantic Ocean.
Wrightsville Beach - The divers came from as far as Baltimore to explore a wreck, not go down on one.

But for a moment Wednesday afternoon, the 13 customers and three crew on Aquatic Safaris I readied themselves for just that more than 20 miles offshore.

About 2 p.m., a propeller shaft to one of the boat‘s two 540-horsepower engines sheared, sliding out of the boat and exposing a 3-inch hole that gushed in water into the engine room. Passengers said the break sounded like they had hit a log or even a whale.

The crew prepared for the worst, handing out life jackets, sunscreen and drinking water, and telling everyone to put their wet suits and buoyancy controls back on.

“We were preparing to float for hours,” diver Kevin Annas said.

As it was, the drama passed about 30 minutes after the Mayday call with no one getting wet but the crew.

The boat’s mates dove beneath the boat, straining to push the couple-hundred- pound shaft back into its hole and stuffing in trash bags to stop the leaks. The bilge pump emptied the water. And a passing yacht picked up the divers who soon seemed less concerned about what happened than impressed with the presence of mind of their crew.

“I’d go back with them to dive to there again because they know what they are doing,” Jerry Bentley, a visitor from Hickory, said after arriving back in Wrightsville Beach.

Capt. Roy Taylor, a co-owner of Aquatic Safaris who was not on board at the time of the accident, said the crew’s performance reflected rigorous training that stresses passenger safety.

An amateur crew would probably have gone down in the same circumstance, he said. But even with no help, the Aquatic Safaris I could have taken everyone back to Wrightsville Beach on its remaining engine, he said.

The Coast Guard sent one rescue boat from Wrightsville Beach station, two from Oak Island and a helicopter from Elizabeth City. By the time the boats arrived, the situation was under control, Petty Officer Josh Weaver said.

“It had huge potential of being bad,” Weaver said. “But with the Good Samaritan offering help and the crew of the Aquatic Safaris reacting the way they did, it turned out good.”

Taylor said he didn’t know what caused the shaft to break -- an occurrence that Coast Guard responders called rare. A team from the Wilmington Marine Safety Unit interviewed returnees to try to find out. The 43-foot boat received its annual Coast Guard inspection in April.

“It’s very unusual,” Chief Warrant Officer Kenny Raifsnider said. “That’s why we’re here.”

Wednesday’s accident occurred after the divers were returning to shore after making two dives near Frying Pan Shoals, including one at the Capt. Greg Mickey, a ship deliberately sunk last year to create a reef in honor of its namesake, a Wilmington diver who was lost at sea three years ago.

Looks to me like a very competent and resourseful crew turned this into a non-incident.

If anything, it's a positive reflection on Aquatic Safaris.

-Charles

Recently inspected boat
Sharp and resourceful crew
Helpful good samaritan

Good to hear stories like this...

A number of boats I know keep a selection of premade plugs in the sizes of any through hull fitting - head, raw water, shaft, etc. just for one of these rare events.

Any through hull below the water line can shear and make a good day go bad.

Yep, and they were on the way in; would have been sad if they missed the day of diving, but didn't. I guess there are other what-ifs, but it turned out good.

Bet it was a little exciting for a few moments. :11:

job well done by all nice to see a happy ending

I dove with them about 2 weeks ago and they were obviously well trained and concerned about safety. Nice roomy boat too. When some divers got a little careless, Captain called a meeting and made it very clear that you either dove safe or sat on the boat.

I was diving with Express Watersports out of south Myrtle earlier in the week, and they had a blade come off a prop on the way in. They shut down, crew inspected it, and we had a loong ride on one engine at 7 knots. Somehow they located and installed a replacement prop - this was sunday night of mem. day weekend). The claim they got it from a supplier, but I'm still convinced all the crew did some "night diving" until they found one the right size :wink:. Another first-rate operation - boat was ready

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom