$170 1400 lumen 120 degree spill video light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think the price of the Big Blue is comparable, is it? Why did it have to go by PM? Why not just offer it as a full comparison?

I really wasn't trying to compare the Bigblue light to the light the OP purchased. The "retail price" of the Bigblue light is $599 I believe. That is not what I paid however. I have no idea about the quality of the other dive light but I can tell you that after purchasing a Bigblue light a few years ago at Beneath the Sea, they are the only dive lights I buy. They are rock solid and I have not seen any dive light that beats their quality. There may be some just as good but I looked at a lot of lights at this past DEMA show and I found none better.

This is also a 120 degree spill.

I have taken about 100gigs of footage on these on this trip so far. I thought I would upload a quick clip showing the three modes in action in two different environments.

I've picked these two offcuts from yesterday's dives because I had the light off centre on them, which clearly shows what the light edge looks like. The depths and time of day are listed in the clips. Here you can see the flicker I am noticing on 'medium'. I wonder if a different frame rate of video would impact this (currently shooting 48fps).

For a simple setup like my gopro, price is paramount (for me anyway). To clarify my own little niche, I was after something that would work well in daylight conditions suitable for a cheap hobbyist gopro rig. I wanted something that would cover the entire FOV of a gopro, with no hotspot. I'm not sure comparisons with expensive lights are germane. That said, yesterday another videographer had a Light and Motion SOLA 1200. The light quality was comparable. One big difference of course is that this little Archon light isn't dimmable or anything like that. (EDIT: and there is no spot option with this - only flood). You just twist on and off to cycle through the three modes.

Here's a pic of it on my gopro rig (hero 2):

gopro.jpg

And here is the test footage:

[video=youtube;2XrHkDFeX8I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XrHkDFeX8I[/video]

Here is another tiny clip. The shrimp (and my dive buddy) are about 50cm away. This is also at dusk.

[video=youtube;3io9xNpGA6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3io9xNpGA6[/video]

Yesterday I took some footage of a group of flame fileshells doing their bioelectric dances. Absolutely amazing stuff!!! Had to get to the back of a tiny little cavern to see them. I had the light on medium rather than full by accident, and so the footage looks like crud. It's a drawback for sure.

If you wouldn't mind - after you get home - could you post a picture of this on a white background? From about a meter away?

TIA.

No problem. Only too happy to.

If anyone has other requests please fire away. I'm an amateur so don't know what kind of info is most useful.

Here's a pic of it on my gopro rig (hero 2):

How do you like that base unit for your GoPro? My wife has purchased a GoPro and we have yet to get a base unit but we are leaning towards the one you have by SRP.

How do you like that base unit for your GoPro? My wife has purchased a GoPro and we have yet to get a base unit but we are leaning towards the one you have by SRP.

It seems expensive compared to some other similar ones but is tough as nails, very well thought out (a beautiful piece of industrial design) and makes 100% difference to the stability/smoothness of the videos (the above cutting room floor example notwithstanding). The light arm is holding up really well also, although I do plan to attach the lanyard mount on the back of the light to the tray just for insurance in case the rubber rings go kaput at any stage. Good accessories seem to make all the difference with the gopro stuff. I'm a fan of their dome filter too. Marty C here at scubaboard seems an expert on all such things!

Yep. Marty has some good info on the GoPro threads. He also has the SRP set-up. Will probably end up going with that one.

Looks like a very interesting alternative to Sola1200 yes. And it HAS Three output levels. White high>White low>Red

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/White-Red-CREE-LED-1400-lm-LED-Diving-light-Divingde-Diving-suit-Diving-dress-Divingdress-Divingsuit/913156_667868956.html

Mantra, that light has potential to be my light of choice, I couldn't justify paying the premium price for the SOLA lights. I looked around and couldn't find any details on how to attach it. Are there any sockets/screws? It seems you used the rubber bands from SRP, I'm wouldn't be very comfortable with that.

Also, do you see an easy way to remove that front cover? I'd like to be able to install a holographic diffuser inside to break that sharp beam edge and spread it even more. Those screws look easy to remove.

ps. You seem to have suffered from fogging towards that end - that tunneling out-of-focus vision brings bad memories from college drinking days..

Back
Top Bottom