1733 Wreck Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey thanks for the input rick! From what i read about the wrecks they were en-route to Florida when strong winds and rains came on (hurricane). Put into perspective, I would think they would have known of their impending doom brought on by the hurricane a ways before they actually struck reef trying to get to land. Either way there are WAY to many stipulations to the underwater recovery hunt for treasure. I can almost guarantee half the sites that are owned by fisher (or who ever else) aren't being worked. It seems pretty selfish to me to keep everyone and anyone from trying to get their own piece of booty. I mean sure they're trying to preserve the wreck site... but nearly all of them are just a pile of ballast stones and MAYBE a few exposed timbers. It just seems a little unfair to make it nearly impossible to hunt for treasure without having a bunch of money for a boat and countless equipment (which i don't have)

The state controls the submerged wrecks. When you subcontract to work the wrecks you must show that you can properly document your finds. You are given numbered tags. Every find must have a tag and GPS position. Items are stored until there is a division with the state. The state gets to pick what they want and gets the data from the subcontractors. The state of Florida is very possesive of their wrecks and doesn't want anyone working them. Only leases that have been in place for decades are allowed to have items removed. If it wasn't for the old leases, no one would be allowed to get anything from them. Describing them as wrecks is a bit misleading when it comes to the 1715 fleet. They are spread over acres and miles, not feet.

Jesse Martian,
Why do you refer to the San Jose as a "Figurine" wreck?

States have gone crazy over this stuff... In Maine, They have laid claim to all sunken logs... that's right ... Sunken logs... You have to pay the state a % of the full retail value before removing the logs... Not worth it.... The days of treasure hunting are long gone... The GOVERNMENT owns / whats everything..

Jim...

Last edited:
The state only controls 3 miles outside in the open seas. U.S. 12 miles. Also wrecks have to abandoned and embedded in bottomlands for them to even make a legitimate claim. If you take something, then keep your mouth shut and say you found it in the river. And tell the state of Maine to shove it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom