1k Shorty Dive Light is here....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finally got my lights (the full size 1k and the shorty 1k) in the handles this weekend. Now I just need the weather and conditions to improve so I can dive with them.

Wish List:

Spare battery packs for this light.....

Is there anyone using this light with diffusor for video? The size and brightness and runtime seems perfect for this purpose. If so, what diffusor and what sh ould I use to mount the light?

I have experimented with several diffusers for their original light:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/425784-my-gopro-3d-setup.html

I'm currently using 4 of their lights with internal 60 degree holographic diffusers:

ready-to-go.jpg

I'm using modfied Fenix flashlight/handlebar adapters to mount the lights to a pair of Nikonos strobe arms.

Videos here:

Wayne Grabowski - YouTube

Has anyone tried modding the shorty? I got it and love it, but hoping I can switch out the reflector for a more diffuse beam with no hotspot so I can use it as a focus light. Any advice? Truth be told, I don't think the front housing opens up- I can't unscrew it at all, but if anyone else has opened it- please let me know.

Thanks, Peter

---------- Post added March 11th, 2013 at 06:31 PM ----------

Just a follow-up, I found a really easy solution to using the shorty as a focus light. I made a diffuser for it to remove the hotspot. Get a 1.5 inch rubber pipe cap from Home depot, Lowes, etc. These are the kind that usually have a metal pipe clamp attached around the outside. Remove the metal clamp, and the rubber cap fits perfectly over the shorty- nice and snug. I got some frosted acrylic from Tap plastics (they actually usually have 3" squares of samples for free- and they gave me 4-5 different types to try for free.), cut a hole in the rubber cap leaving a lip, glued in the acrylic circle. I got a red circle too, for use on the focus light for night dives. You likely don't even need to glue in the diffuser material- the rubber cap fits that perfectly. Happy DIY-ing!

Runs on Single Battery

The Shorty can run on a 25500 Li-ion battery. This cell simply replaces the AA battery carrier.

This is just like exchanging a 3 AAA battery carrier with a single 22500 cell.

It seems some ppl would like an alternative and just run on a single cell. I know I like it better.

Fitting - Because the 25500 cell is not as wide as the AA carrier I use a cut piece of cardboard as a battery sleeve. see pics...

IMG_1320.jpgIMG_1323.jpg

Voltage - Because the Shorty's driver is at least 4.5V max voltage, there is no issues with the 4.2V fully charged Li-ion battery.

Burn time?? my Li-ion battery reads 5500mAh. I think that's an overrated capacity. However I predict it should run at least as long as alkaline cells.

where to buy batteries? FT, CN, DX
or an IMR 26500 (from Fluid, Ep, Ali) - this battery is a little wider (26mm vs. 25mm)

the 25500/26500 requires a compatible charger - the UltraFire WF-188 (lygte review) can do up to 32650 size, so it's a good option for those who have or plan to have Li-ion cells in different sizes. (CN, DX, BG, eS)

Last edited:
25500 battery only yielded a 2 hr burn time, so poor result. :depressed:

my test: I put the light in a tub of water and ran it till it looked like a weak beam of light. At that point I pulled the battery and it was 2.6V so it was done.

I may see if I get better results with different battery.

on the positive side all my twisting on & off of the light head and cleaning made it a lot smoother and easier to turn ON/Off.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom