1st camera purchase HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee,

Sea and Sea makes lenses for the Nikonos and they are great, in my opinion. My only complaint about the
S&S cameras is feel--I just like the "feel" of the Nikonos. The S&S lenses that can be changed underwater just do not have the optical quality of the single lens--but the S&S lenses for the Nikonos, in my hands, have the vitually identical opitical quality compared to the Nikkor lenses. However, the Nikkor lenses seem sturdier.

I am not completely in the "new age" so I cannot scan and send photos over the net. Maybe next year... But, I have some wonderful photos from Cozumel, a place that I love to dive and love to photograph. You seem to like Cozumel, too. I was there in June and October of this year and loved both times.

joewr

Joewr, I was referring to the Nikkor lenses, just didn't make that distinction. When I did my research, the S&S lenses for the Nikonos were more expensive than those for the MMII. I agree the S&S lenses for the Nikonos feel a bit more substantial but either I haven't seen good enough photos from both cameras, or I'm blind because I can't see any really noticeable difference.

I have to admit I haven't dived with a Nikonos. You're not the first who has said they like the feel of it better. Maybe I better not try it!

In answer to Herman's query, the closeups were with the Aquashot macro kit, which includes a framer and a little external macro lens that is mounted in front of the regular lens. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality I was getting with this little camera. Some of Dee's MMII shots are truly wonderful, aren't they? I just love the anemone backed by the open water...
Rick

Dee,

The quality of the S&S lenses that can be changed underwater do not show up until you make an enlargement. At 11x14, you can tell the difference. I do not make too many enlargements bigger than 8x10, but I must occassionally crop because I could not get close enough to a fish or another diver creeps into the side of a photo, etc. At any rate, I have seen fine photos taken with the S&S cameras/lenses and believe they are a good by because the company is committed to continuing development while Nikon is not.

The future seems to be with housed cameras and I have been looking at housings for a Nikon. However, the cost of this option is prohibative if you are just starting and have no experience with uw photography. I have been doing photography since high school--still have my first camera, a twin lens reflex Rolliflex (which I bought almost new in 1958 and it tells you about how old I am!)--and I was suprised at how different the "rules" of uw photography were compared to those of surface photograhy. So I would never encourage someone to start out with a super expensive housed camera! But, if you read the credits that pros use when they publish photos, they all use housed cameras for most of their shots.

This message has gotten too long. Sorry.

joewr

I appreciate your opinions. You're apparently a more experienced photographer than myself. 1958, huh? We won't go there!

I've thought about a housed system. I'm a macro person and I'd love to be able to get those really close ups from a zoom lense. Auto focus would also be nice. But here again we get into the cost of it all. I'm a diver who takes photographs, not a phtographer who dives. And since I only get 2-3 trips a year to clear water, I can't justify the cost of one of those perfect systems.

So until then I'll puddle along and do the best I can with what I've got!

Dee,
I've been wanting to go to your link to see your shots,:wink: and I finally have. Great pictures indeed! I really enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing.
Is one of those guys in the Cozumel 2000 shot you?
I have an easy point and shoot, Bonica Snapper. I must say spending more money really makes a difference.
While my camera is an easy one, the pictures are no where the same in quality. Now I know what to ask for next Christmas. ( of course only if I'm a good girl which is highly unlikely).

My mug isn't anywhere to be found. I'm usually the one with the camera. There's one of my husband and I in the Diverlink Gallery, I think.

Glad you liked the photos.

I can't say enough good things about it. Give it a good look before you buy the MX-5 since it has the capability to add an external strobe (very important) and a macro lense which the MX-5 doesn't. This will let you move ahead as you learn before jumping into the big dollars.

I've had some really good luck with this rig but it has shown me that I've got a lot to learn too. I think a 'learner' camera is the way to go for beginners. Until you get so you are consistantly limited by the camera itself, the more expensive camera won't help you make better pictures.

Hi everyone, I've been following this link with interest and would like to raise another option for consideration.
For the past few months (honestly !)I've been weighing up the options ,if I lived in the States, would probably go for a 2nd hand Nikonos V (I've seen a few advertised at very reasonable prices - comparable with a new MM11 or full Ikelite Auto 35 kit etc. etc.).
That is until I started noticing the other option - housing a camera or camcorder that I will actually be able to get substantial use out of sans aqua !
Does anyone have any opinions regarding the new range of digital cameras (Nikon 990 / Canon Optura / Olympus 3030Z / Canon PS G1) etc. ? BTW I think the Optura has 20 - 30 mins of video as well ! The others only a few seconds. Camcorders anyone ? Stills quality ? Editing stills from the video ?
ALL opinions equally valid and welcome !
Don't want to make this too long but I live in China and do all my diving in SEAsia so usually good vis is not a problem.

Thanks in advance !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom