1st camera purchase HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just starting to think about getting a camera, and your questions - and the answers that the group have posted will help me along the way.

Some of the images that others have posted have made me more eager to pursue the idea of adding photography to the fun of diving.

Hi DivingGal,

Yep that's also the road I'm taking. I've seen a posting in another forum here decrying U/W photographers :eek: the poster had one valid point though in that all U/W photographers should possess excellent buoyancy skills and put any potential damage to the environment before eagerness to capture a particular subject.
Back to the Digital theme :D Got to say that this might upset the U/W purist photographers but the equipment costs and learning curves are pretty steep and we all want to get the most out of our diving. From the research I've been doing almost everyone agrees that a 3.3 megapixel digicam will give you superb quality photos up to 8 x 10 prints and even possibly 11 x 14. That's probably enough for most people and if the bug really bites I'm sure most will then step up to dedicated U/W gear. If it doesn't you still have a great camera or camcorder for everyday use.
Has anyone out there had any experience of the following :
Nikon 990 with Ikelite housing (great macro on 990)
Optura Pi (expensive at over US$2,000 including housing)
Olympus 3030Z with Tetra housing (good lead to follow on this site) or other suggestions ?
Thanks.
Manta 888

I've been looking into the digital video. My business can justify buying one so there would be a tax savings there. I already got my digital still camera that way but it's not waterproof and nobody I've found yet makes a case for it. I like the Sony's, but again, for underwater they are very limited in choices.

Basically I don't have much of a recommendation yet but if I find anything, I'll let you know. I have a meeting with the Sony guy next week. He wants us to sell them in our store (he forgets we already do). Maybe something will come of that.

Tom

Hi Tom,

What's the digital camera you've already got ? I've checked out a lot of housing manufacturers recently and they really seem to be getting on the bandwagon.
I saw a posting here that referred to a company called Aquacam' that makes housings but can't seem to find their site even using search engines such as Lycos or Copernic. Does anyone know their site address ?
Thanks !

Manta 888

DivingGal

Glad to hear you are thinking about getting into uw photography. Your area has some amazing underwater photo ops. I've been using a S&S mmII for a couple of years and love it. It isn't the mmII ex or pro or pro II (not sure what upgrades have been made) but it works extremely well..and it reasonably priced. Lets face it...nothing beats beautiful, colourful ocean pictures, but the Rideau system right near you has some amazing oportunities. Just make sure you have a good stobe that you can stretch out and you are taking close shots, and you shouldn't have too much trouble with backscatter. The water there...with the right light, gives a really nice golden glow. And the Coney...oh the Coney (Cardinal)....I'm sure you know this..but if you go at a time when there isn't a parking lot full of cars......well the fish and invert life on the wreck are quite photogenic.

Good luck

Bio guy

Originally posted by bio guy
the Coney...oh the Coney (Cardinal)....I'm sure you know this..but if you go at a time when there isn't a parking lot full of cars......well the fish and invert life on the wreck are quite photogenic.
[/B]

The "Connie" (Connestoga) and I are old friends - I saw her last in October for a Turkey Hunt, and I know what you mean about being crowded. That's the problem with a wreck dive that's also a shore dive. You've reminded me that along the shore at one of "the" entry points, there is some real interesting u/w plant life - well it was there last summer.

actually did my open water on the conney..and from a dive shop in Ottawa believe it or not. They came up north at the time and gave a course. We all took a weekend and went to the coney and a quarry that I can't remember the name of for the open water stuff...good times and good instructors.

BTW: If it was red tufts of stringy plants that you saw, it was likely willow tree roots. Take a look above the water next time you see them and I'll bet there is a large willow tree nearby. The roots are common underwater there.

Manta - I have a Sony Mavica FD83. It saves the Pics on floppy, about 13 to a disk. I know I won't be able to change floppys underwater even if I find a case.

Tom

At canary islands you can buy the equipement for round about 50% less at Puerto La Cruz.

Lenses for round about 200 USD.

For video we have the Canon Optura in an Amphibico housing with a 30 watt light. It also takes stills, but the res is not up to regular print quality. It is a great u/w video setup! Light, compact, and takes amazing video!(Multiple ports available.)

Meanwhile, for u/w stills we use the MM II. We have a pair of 10 yr old units with multiple lenses & strobes. IMHO you can't beat them for value and the ability to build on the basic unit until you get what you want. As for how good the pics are, if I'm not mistake Dee uses an MMII and takes AMAZING photos! (I wanna be like HER when I grow up! :))

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom