1st Set of Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah after hearing the opinions and doing some more reaserching it's seems like Back Inflated is the way to go. It's like Jackets only benifit is how they float on the surface, but lets be honest this is Scuba gear if I wanted something that floated well on the surface I'd just buy a boat lol.

I can save a decent amount of money if I go with a Hybrid Pure which I can then put into a better reg so I think I'll go that route. Thanks

What about everything else though. No ones really said anything about the reg and only one comment on the octo and computer?

why are you stuck on mares for back inflate?
The back inflates still have huge disadvantages over backplates in wings in that they aren't modular and will not grow with you.

The regs have had quite a few comments but regulators are regulators. They all work, it just depends on how much you want to pay for them and pay to keep them. The cheapest you can get any of the Mares regs is $500 for first and two seconds. That's a yoke Prestige 12s and MV octopus. For $480 you can get a set of HOG regs, matching seconds *very important if you ever decide to get into technical diving*, full braided hoses, and an SPG. Now add the fact that parts kits are only $60 and you can learn to service them yourself, you can save a lot of money over the life of the regs. No idea what Mares parts kits are, but that is a huge turn off for most of us who save well over $100/year by servicing our own regs.

222064_1767241946538_586672_n.jpg

There's sitting on the surface no effort to lay somewhat back in a transpac, DiveRite classic wing, mostly full with LP72 doubles. If you have weight in the front, it will pull you forward, but if you have steel tanks or a SS backplate *not sure how much weight you had in your training dives, but a SS backplate and wing can take up to 10lbs off of your waist belt and with a comfort harness you are still in the price range of the Mares, just not from your LDS likely. $480 if you don't want a backpad which if you're in a wetsuit you don't need, $530 with one.

Computers:
Best computer on the market hands down is the Shearwater Research Petrel. Unfortunately it is also $850, but it's the last computer you'll ever need.
My criteria in a dive computer. User changeable batteries that are easy to find, and easy connection to a computer so I can download my dive log.
The other two options for that are the Nitek Q and the XDeep Black BT, both of which are right around $600. Those are above your budget since we're at $1010 for the regs and bp/w listed above.
Next best option now becomes the Hollis DG03 for $250
https://www.divegearexpress.com/computers/dg03.shtml

This does actually allow air integration should you decide you want that down the road, just have to buy a transmitter, I don't like them, but some do. It will run in Gauge Mode which is important if you get into technical diving and want a backup computer. Downfall is it doesn't integrate with your computer to download dive logs, and it does use one of the coin style batteries, but they last quite a while, so it's not that big of a deal. Would highly recommend swapping the watch strap for the bungee mount for $20, but it's optional.

Your total now is $1280 which is a bit more than your proposed budget of $1200, but you can cut $100 out of that if you don't go with braided hoses, the backpad, and the bungee mount. You have to buy from two different companies and not your LDS, but you save on sales tax, they both ship for free I believe, and if you wait on the regs and BC until Black Friday, you'll save a couple hundred more.

What I have listed above is by far the best bang for buck system that new divers should seriously consider before buying any other gear on the market. The $1280 price includes $100 for the upgraded harness, $25 for upgrade to braided hoses, $50 backpad, and $20 bungee mount, so you could feasibly be in for under $1100 for a full set of gear, that will hold it's value better than typical recreational gear, is easily serviced by the diver, and is all quality equipment that can be used for the rest of your diving career no matter if you stay diving 30' reefs, or go to technical cave diving *only thing you'd have to change is to a doubles wing and add an extra first stage*

Re-read the message from TSandM. If you configure your BP/W correctly it should not push your face into the water when you are floating at the surface.

This points out a very important aspect of buying gear. If you buy a BP/W (or even a back inflate) from a shop that really prefers jacket-style then you won't get the support you need. I loved the owner of the first shop I worked for. She was a good, old-school diver but when I asked her about BP/W she was insistent it was wrong and would push my face into the water. A distributor tried to get her to carry back-inflate but she was the type of person who would not carry anything in her shop she didn't personally try out. So she tried out the back-inflate. No one helped her with it. There were no instructions on how to configure it, where to wear your weights, etc. She wore it tight and high with all the weight in front. It pushed her face in the water. She decided it wasn't for her and that was the end of it.

The last shop I worked for was owned by two people. One of them was a tec diver and used BP/W with doubles. Every dive he'd show me some more things. When we were in the shop and things were slow he'd show me things. On slow pool days he'd get in the pool and let me use his BP/W. Recently I purchased a setup for diving in warm water (my previous setup was for cold water). First time I got in the water it face planted me. I made some adjustments. A little better. I made some more adjustments. A lot better. I knew from my previous experience what 'right' felt like. So I kept adjusting my warm water setup until it felt 'right'. I've fallen in love again.

I don't think I could have done all this on my own. So thank you to Norbert from PADI 5-Star scuba diving centre serving Toronto - Newmarket.

Maybe you need to find a shop or mentor (dive club) who can help you with setting up your gear. A good mentor and a back-inflate or even jacket-style might be better than a BP/W with no mentoring. This is way I'm suggesting you take your time and try some stuff first. Maybe after renting for a bit you'll find that shop or dive club that will make the difference. By the way, I was going to say there are some good shops and clubs I can recommend in Dallas but you are a good 2 or 3 hour drive from Dallas. Not sure if you wanted to make that trek.

A good option is shop around by going into a shop and seeing what they can do for you. I go to shops and I'm just straight up honest. I let them know I'm shopping around to find a good price because I don't have a lot of money and I'm trying to save enough money to have all my equipment AND afford a few dives. Some shops take offense. I don't shop there. Some shops see what they can do. When I bought my warm water setup ScubaToys started with a package they had advertised on the website, did a little mix and match and came up with something in my budget but a lot less than if I pieced it together myself.

And hey, if you are ever going to Dallas let me know. I'm not in town every weekend but if I am we can go for a dive or maybe just hang out. :)

P.S. tbone1004 reminds me black friday is coming. Start researching now. You want to know what you want and why before black friday. If you are set on ONE thing it might not go on sale and trying to figure out what is 'close enough' might be a problem if you don't have some knowledge.

If you decide on the Hog regs instead but don't want to work on them yourself, Scubatoys in Dallas is a dealer.

Personally I leave regulator servicing to someone who knows how.

Not that I couldn't do it but I have little or no desire to do so to save $60 biannually - what my Atomic reg service costs.

Ok so I guess I'm a lil confused as to the difference between Back Inflate and BP/W?
I was stuck on Back Inflate cause I thought they were the same, just BP/W had a wider bladder.
I can get the Mares Abyss 22 for $375 and every other Mares reg except the Carbon for <$500. I'm purchasing all my gear through Leisure Pro as a package deal and not from my LDS.

For a Mares Hybrid Pure, Mares Abyss 22 Reg, Mares Rover Octo, and Mares Puck Air w/Compass they quoted me $1000 for all of it.
I'm not stuck on that setup it's just an example.

A back-inflate is a jacket-style BCD but the air cell does not wrap around to the front. If you need to fix, upgrade, repair a back-inflate you are going to the original manufacturer because every back-inflate is different. BP/W or Back Plate / Wing is a plate with a wing attached to it. I can mix and match everything. I have a custom backplate with a new Halcyon harness and an old Halcyon Pioneer wing. I also have a Hollis backplate with a DiveRite harness and a Hollis wing. I can use the Pioneer wing on the Hollis BP. I can use the Hollis wing on the custom BP. I can use OMS or ScubaPro weight pockets on my Halcyon or DiveRite harness.

Why did I start with a Halcyon harness, custom BP and Pioneer wing? The shop I work at was selling the harness for half price. Some guy was clearing out old equipment and sold me the custom BP for half the price of a new BP. Someone I knew was switching to sidemount so he sold me his Pioneer wing. I put it all together and now I have a BP/W system.

Mind you, I've been diving for 13+ years. I've learned a bit and feel comfortable mixing and matching. Recently, I took a job in Dallas. My cold water rig was too heavy for warm water diving. So I just went to ScubaToys and bought what they had. Could I have shopped around and found something cheaper? Probably but I wanted to go diving that weekend. Finding everything used might have taken me a few weeks. So I just bought everything new and paid a little more. I still mixed and matched. ScubaToys had 3 wings I liked. I picked the cheapest one. They only had one aluminum BP in stock. I didn't like the steel plates with all the cut outs but I wanted something light. So I bought the Hollis BP.

My first set of gear I got almost everything so I could just get diving. For my BP/W I took my time because I could use my old gear to keep diving with until I had a complete BP/W set up. For you, if you are diving once or twice a year on vacation then maybe renting is an okay option. If you are diving a lot more you want to buy your own gear. If you want your own gear, buying something is better than taking forever to find THE perfect dive setup.

I would avoid LeisurePro as they are not an authorized dealer for most brands so you run a lot of risk. BP/W means the backplate is independent of the wing and you can swap wings depending on what tanks you're using. There is a thread about preferred US online dive shops, and LP doesn't usually come up in the top 3. DRiS is a very good shop with knowledgeable people that are real divers. I would highly recommend calling them because the package deal I listed above might be negotiable if you buy it all in one go, and I think they can get the DG03 since they are a Hollis dealer. I think the number was $1280 total for the setup that I went with, and I'm willing to bet Mike will knock at least 10% off if you buy it all at once. Still a bit more than LP, but if you need servicing on any of it, DRiS can do it quite reasonably. They are one of my two "LDS" shops even though I've never been there and likely never will due to proximity.

Scuba Dive Harnesses - Find harnesses and dive wings as well as lift bladders and more - Dive Right in Scuba
For reference, they have almost 50 different wings. From cute little 23lb warm water travel wings, up to the beastly 65lb doubles wings. With a BP/W you buy the backplate, in your case with a smaller single tank wing, 25-30lbs is perfectly adequate, and then if you choose to go to doubles or a rebreather, you just buy a new wing and bolt it on there. Your harness will stay the same and this is how many of us dive *I used to dive that way, but now with sidemount I have a backmount and a sidemount rig*. Your backplate will literally outlast you, and if you decide on a 1 piece harness, you can reweb it yourself every 10 years for about $20. The rest of it is stainless steel and will outlive you. I dive a transpac because I need to keep weight off due to my tanks and the fact that I sink, and I have one that is easily 15 years old and still going strong. Looks old, but it still dives like a champ.

I would avoid LeisurePro as they are not an authorized dealer for most brands so you run a lot of risk.
Actually they recently are. For just about every major brand they sell except Aqualung. Including - most importantly for the OP:

Capture.JPG

The list also includes:

Scubapro
Oceanic/Aeris/Hollis
Zeagle
Atomic Aquatics

etc....
and LP doesn't usually come up in the top 3.
LeisurePro makes most recreational divers top 5-10 list - it's also mentioned 5 times in 50+ replies in the thread you referenced. They sell the same product as everyone else for the same or slightly better price and ship fast with a 100% fit guarantee. Or is it your contention that all 1900 of these divers are wrong also? http://www.leisurepro.com/Info/CustomerComments.html

Last edited:
Wait until you have at least 20 or 30 dives under your belt. You don't know what you don't know yet. Rent, try different sets of gear from fins, BC's, regs, computers. You will know when a piece of equipment is right for you. I can't tell you how many people have spent a lot of money and a year later realized they bought the wrong stuff and are now stuck with it because of the cost. You don't even know what sort of a BC is best for you yet. Don't go by what one or two people tell you. What works for a diver with over 1,000 dives may not be for you.

hey, I learned to dive in a Halcyon Eclipse and couldn't have been more grateful for it.....

I stand corrected on LP, this is a relatively recent development, but I would still go to DRiS and see what they can do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom