1st Set of Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually they recently are. For just about every major brand they sell except Aqualung. Including - most importantly for the OP:

View attachment 191814

The list also includes:

Scubapro
Oceanic/Aeris/Hollis
Zeagle
Atomic Aquatics

etc....

LeisurePro makes most recreational divers top 5-10 list - it's also mentioned 5 times in 50+ replies in the thread you referenced. They sell the same product as everyone else for the same or slightly better price and ship fast with a 100% fit guarantee. Or is it your contention that all 1900 of these divers are wrong also? LeisurePro - Customer Comments Page 1

Thank you, you're absolutely correct. The only brand we're not authorized dealers for at this point is the Aqualung family, but that's why we offer such a discount and our in-house warranty. To the best of my knowledge, the most recent change from unauthorized to authorized was Scubapro almost 2 and a half years ago.

We also have the following Amazon feedback above and beyond our customer comments page you referenced: 4.7 (out of 5) stars over the past 12 months

Last edited:
How does a BP/W compare to a Back Inflated BCD as far as comfort. It seems like a BP/W would be very hard on the back since it's just a metal plate with a lil bit of padding. Also I feel like I'm loosing features and paying more for a BP/W. I'm not trying to knock them I'm just trying to figure out what's so great about them aside from the fact that they're modular and interchangeable? They cheapest quality and comfortable looking BP/W setup I could find is a Dive Rite Transpac XT w/Voyager EXP Wings and weight system for $550 and that's a package that's already on sale so I can't get it any cheaper than that.

toddville393,

When you are underwater you are neutrally buoyant. I don't even notice the plate when I'm diving. Additionally, you add to the harness exactly what you need. For example, I started with a harness, wing and plate. I then figured I needed a pocket to keep some stuff in so I added a pocket on my left hip. There are plenty of d-rings to clip things to. I bought some bike innertube and use that for holding things to the harness. Bought clips and cave line to attach things to the d-rings. This is where having a mentor or a good dive shop makes a difference.

You are near one of my favourite dive shops in North America, ScubaToys. Have a look at Extreme Reg and BPW Setup discounts on sale ScubaToys. This is a VERY comfortable package. If you have mobility issues then you might want to get a deluxe harness but if you are in reasonable shape a basic harness is very comfortable. This is a package ScubaToys has on their website but if you call them they can make some substitutions. I also find if you drop in the shop or call them you might be able to work out a deal on something else.

If you just want the BP/W and are going to buy the regulator separate you can look at BackPlate and Wing Package discounts on sale Dive Rite.

By the way, if you have to select your size it is not a BP/W setup. The Transpac is a nice system but it is not a real BP/W system. Remember, underwater you want to be neutrally buoyant. Just because it is comfortable above water doesn't mean it is comfortable in water or underwater.

What about this?

BCD - Mares Pure - $240
Reg - Mares Abyss 22 - $375
Octo - Mares Rover - $80
Computer - Hollis DG03 w/Transmitter $500
Total: $1195

Hi Todd - Welcome to Scubaboard: Home of 100 experts and 1000 opinions. YMMV.

You have tapped in to a very diverse and VERY knowledgeable resource. Most times also very opinionated. But WE are right. Most of the time...

In order to get useful & relevant feedback, I suggest you confine each post to a single area of conjecture / dispute. As you already have discovered, there are way too many correct answers.

Trying to deal a a number of equipment choices all at once often leads to confusion as there may be a mix up of different "styles" of diving. One of our picks may be proper for one style, but your other choice is verboten.

Definitely split BCD and computer into 2 different discussions.

My feedback / opinion on the BCD question is to first establish whether you want a BCD or a BP/W thingy. Big can o worms. Figure this question out first before you start to argue about which model of BCD. It may (likely?) be a question your LDS does not want to deal with.

Computer? Well do I have a deal for you. Hang on. What type of diving do you intend to do? Answer that and it will lay a foundation for selecting a computer. My default guidance to noobs is to purchase a base level computer and either consider it disposable or a resale item.

The recall is for models with 1A firmware. If you have one that has 1B firmware you're ok.

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2014 at 11:43 PM ----------

Hi Todd - Welcome to Scubaboard: Home of 100 experts and 1000 opinions. YMMV.

You have tapped in to a very diverse and VERY knowledgeable resource. Most times also very opinionated. But WE are right. Most of the time...

In order to get useful & relevant feedback, I suggest you confine each post to a single area of conjecture / dispute. As you already have discovered, there are way too many correct answers.

Trying to deal a a number of equipment choices all at once often leads to confusion as there may be a mix up of different "styles" of diving. One of our picks may be proper for one style, but your other choice is verboten.

Definitely split BCD and computer into 2 different discussions.

Yeah I think you're right I just bust this up into 2 threads. Thanks.

What about this?

BCD - Mares Pure - $240
Reg - Mares Abyss 22 - $375
Octo - Mares Rover - $80
Computer - Hollis DG03 w/Transmitter $500
Total: $1195
At some point add a small SPG on a short hose - if the transmitter loses the signal (It happens occasionally to most of them) it's good to know how much air you have while surfacing. Dive Gear Express sells "naked" gauges and HP Miflex hose in all lengths. It's more flexible than a standard rubber hose so will tuck neatly out of the way somewhere. The Abyss 22 has 2 HP ports so you're all set.

While googling the Abyss to be sure, I came across this deal. Not better or worse than yours necessarily but another option. Online Scuba is also a real dive shop in Las Vegas. Mares Abyss 22 Regulator, Octo & Mission Puck Dive Comp Console Package - $799 plus the cost of the Pure. Your price on it is better than theirs.

The apparent differences appear to be the Instinct Octo and a 2 gauge console but the Puck in the console is a stand-alone model inserted in the upper spot so it's not reading the tank pressure - hence the SPG.

Hard to say which is the better deal, yours or theirs. I might go with the DG03 since it's somewhat more convenient. Sometimes if you've got something in your right hand, are surfacing so holding your inflator in your left, it's harder to read a console mounted computer also if it's clipped off on near your waist. I have a Gekko on my wrist - I often wear it on my right wrist so I can watch it while surfacing till I get to safety stop depth. Mine has a 4' range - 15-19' - if I go outside that the 3min. countdown starts over. I don't always wear a wristwatch when diving plus it has the timer built in so I use it.

The recall was in 2012 so except for eBay/Craigslist they've all been repaired/replaced most likely. Somewhere like Dive Gear Express or Scubatoys probably returned all theirs as soon as they announced it.

Yeah I think you're right I just bust this up into 2 threads. Thanks.
2 threads? Ask yourself: Are you happy going through life as just an average underachiever? Hell No! Make it 3 threads...

Sorry, what was the question?

P.S. As a beginner, I would stay away from a high priced AI computer. The transmitter is very large part of your cost. Considering that you can bag a fully functional non AI used computer off ebay for around $200. That extra money buys a lot of dives...

spend the $350 on the transmitter on better gear to begin with. After 20-30 dives if you feel like having AI is worth the cost, then just get the transmitter on the DG03.

BS on the Transpac not being a real BP/W, it is every bit as real as any other hard plate out there and many of us regularly dive them with singles and doubles. It is not a hard bp/w, it is not a one piece webbing bp/w, but that has nothing to do with not being every bit as real as a one piece harness.

Keep in mind the scubatoys deal listed is discontinued products in the form of the AL backplate and the Oceanic reg set. Not to deter you, but just something to keep in mind. Not sure why you're stuck on Mares from LP, but I still stand by the set listed by DRiS, it is a much better bang for your buck than any deal LP will cut you because if you call DRiS they will likely give you a much better deal if you buy it all in one go, OR you get like 10% back in loyalty points if you buy online and can use that to help fund the transmitter or anything else that you might need/want from them.

Back
Top Bottom