1st trip to Fiji and Australia - a few questions....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll be fine in Fiji. I would just go with the A/C room so you have a spot to relax in and cool off so you can get out and go again. It will be humid but manageable if you keep hydrated and spend some of the day in cool activities like diving and swimming. Then the evenings will be beautiful. Suitably equip yourself for the tropics and sun and you're good. That's what I do.

My comment about the eggs is in reference to how many days you spend in Fiji. If you're spending over 5 days, then I would consider multiple places. I find it rains in Fiji. So I try to spread time a little wider to ensure enjoying that paradise in its best sunny state.

As Taveuni takes a day to travel in and out, 4-5 days would be the minimum I'd suggest as well.

Being pilots you will love the experience of flying in through Savusavu. The plane was one of the Otter type they have there. We weren't treetop level but much lower than the direct flight we took back. We flew up along the coast of Vanua Levu, and you could see right down into the water as the edge of the land and reefs blends into the ocean. I'm sure I saw a shark. Multiple "what a life" spots. There's always clouds that will give a wonderful texture. Then you circle over a harbor before sweeping down to bank up on one wing through the hills to land at Savusavu. You pull up and there's one building. The pilot leaves the engines running, you swap people on and off and take off again for Taveuni. The direct flight back was higher where you could see a lot of large reef areas, but was much higher and lost that detail. Worth additional cost? Depends on how exciting my description was to you, I guess.

If no one has told you, Bula means Hello and Vinaka means Thank you. Vinaka vaka levu means Thanks very much. Senga ni lenga means no worries. Use the last one a lot. :)

Favorite Fiji story is people yelling Bula to us as we drove through their town at 30 MPH. Here at home, the neighbor doesn't talk to me.

CA_White

You are going during Fiji's rainy season (Apr-Oct), so be prepared. Not all I've talked to have had as much rain as Shasta, but some have. Either way it will be humid. One thing that helped us out....we got these quick-dry micro fiber towels from sport chalet (cheap, and come in a little compact carry case). That helped when going out on excursions, because sometime the towels wouldn't dry if we'd used them that mornign diving (of course you can always get more towels from front desk).

I agree w/Shasta-man: you'll be fine. I live in Ventura where it's much cooler than many of the inland or San Diego areas, and I acclimated pretty quick. My travel buddies live in A/C 24-7, so they used theirs in the room (I didn't), but only needed it for a quick recoup like shasta said. You'll be fine!

The flights: I've done both flights, and it depends on the pilot, the schedule, and the weather. The first time I stopped at Savusavu we had a 20 min layover that lasted 2 1/2 hrs (hot & boring!), and the flight out was nothing like Shastas. However the pilot on our direct flight from Nadi circled a few times (waiting for runway to clear) and took us low for some sight seeing. Basically no guarantee which flight is better. I recommend the direct so you don't waste time on a layover

Shasta is 100% right about the people being the friendliest ever, and the airlines (and everything else) being on "fiji time". I suggest bringing a change of clothes or at least swim suit in your carry on. I arrived in Taveuni at 8am wearing the long pants I had left LAX in. My luggage didn't arrive until 3pm, and having a pair of shorts to change into was great!

Garden Island is still answering emails, but be aware that at least 1/2 of the management team will be in the states for the DEMA show in Vegas next week. I don't know if they'll be emailing during that time. (I hear they're hoping to set something up so they can handle your airline bookings, etc).

Like Shasta, I have great "Bula" stories, and so will you! You'll find yourself saying it to everyone when you return!

Thanks Shasta Man - on what airline did you have that great flight? Sounds wonderful. We have been looking at Pacific Sun and looking at a direct flight (faster and less costly).

Yes, I know Bula and Vinaka... but didn't know Senga ni lenga. Thanks!

Michael71 - We live about 1.5 miles from the beach in Carlsbad... in fact, we can see the ocean from our balcony. People laugh at my at work because I always say I "don't go east of El Camino Real" (too hot, etc.). Kind of a joke, but we do prefer the not-too-hot climate of Carlsbad. I believe our weather is somewhat similar to that of Ventura... a few degrees warmer here.

I had really set my mind on Coconut Grove Beachfront Cottages... but they have no A/C... so I'm just going to continue to think about this for a while longer.

Carole

Carole: No time to respond right now, but I'll advise you to stay objective about the places you see listed for Taveuni. Basically that the image that they portray may not be the reality of the place. Not necessarily totally bad but not as described. Like many travel locations on the web.

For example, their image is secluded hideaway, with idyllic ocean front. Reality is it's decent place but the property is right next to regular houses, the generator runs from 6 AM to 9 PM, and the ocean is gone for half the day due to low tide.

I'm nearly certain that the place you mention was literally next door to the beach house I stayed in as the restaurant name is very familiar. The honeymooners we talked to were stuck inside just like us. While the grounds were pretty nice, it was literally across the street from the airport, and you could smell jetfuel when the planes, at least twice a day, landed and sat idling before leaving again. While you had beach, every morning, after the rooster started crowing every couple minutes, the neighborhood dogs would be up and chasing each other around barking on the beach. Yes, it was your beachfront, but the dogs have access to it all.

As one of the TravelAdvisor reviews mentioned, the ocean is there in the morning but gone by 11, with just low tide pools around. Swimming is available but beyond the reef which is not necessarily suggested as it's a good way out and that's where you may encounter the shark that doesn't just stay away from your bubbles. The sad thing was watching the locals walking around on the low coral heads looking for octopus and eels to take to eat. I was the polar opposite, out there walking in the pools marveling at the beautiful critters.

It's that kind of described paradise vs reality that we find is closer to the norm. I'll try to provide more info later.

Thanks, Shasta Man. I will wait for your response.

Yes, Coconut Grove Beachfront Cottages is near the airport. Although there is another place that I think is closer... it's called Matei Pointe (which makes sense that it would be near Matei Airport).

Carole

CA_White: You may need to decide which is your main goal for the trip (diving, beach, seclusion, etc).

Garden Island is the closest to the Rainbow Reef, making it ideal for diving, and is also close to land based activities like Waitavela waterslide, etc. But there is no beach. Your on the shore, but it's all rocks / hard coral. There is a beach on a small island about 300 yards off shore that you can kayak to. Rooms are nice & have A/C, but are connected like a normal hotel, not individual bures

If you're more interested in beach / seclusion and not diving as much, you may also wish to look at Matangi island off the North East corner of Taveuni. It's a small private plantation w/a resort. I met people diving at GIR who were staying there. Loved it, but had to come down to GIR to dive the great white wall. You can read about it & see video at Rob Kay's Fiji Island Travel Guide - Fiji information, Fiji Islands, tourism, travel, surfing, diving, scuba, online guide. Go to Fiji islands guide on the left, then click Taveuni. Scroll down towards the bottom...

You may also look at Paradise Taveuni. Further south than GIR, and I think a bit pricier, but also known as a more luxury type resort.

Just a thought.... :)

Hi Michael,

Diving and activities (hiking in scenic locations, waterfalls, etc.) is more important than a beach. If the beach was that important we'd be staying in the Yasawas (I took that off the list early on because it is not the best diving).

I did look at Matangi because people rave about it, and it's a reasonable price for how nice it is. Still, it is more $$ than we were hoping to spend and we want to be on an island with lots of activities. Also looked at Paradise... less $$ than Matangi, but it's farther away from Bouma National Park, etc... Coconut Grove is mid-distance between the Rainbow Reef diving and Bouma (good access to both). Paradise, like Coconut Grove, has no A/C but supposedly has great diving right there from the shore. Coconut Grove, however, is the #1 Taveuni hotel on Tripadvisor. The reviews are great and the food is supposed to be fabulous! I also have looked at Rob Kay's site quite a bit.

I'll wait to hear what Shasta Man says. The main negatives with CG, at this point, are (1) the A/C, and (2) if it happens to rain a lot we'll be "cooped up" at Coconut Grove... not a lot to do there.

Runner up to Coconut Grove on Taveuni is Maravu Plantation. They do have A/C. Paradise is 3rd choice and Garden Island I don't have ranked yet (they haven't gotten back to me yet on some of my questions).

I wish I could decide.

Carole

Best of luck CA_White,

Like I've said, for my money Garden Island was the best. I think I mentioned the management is attending the DEMA show, so you probably won't get an answer for another week, but they are there :)

Rooms do have A/C in addition to ceiling fan. It was soooo close to the diving (and offered shore dives / snorkel), and if it rains you're still close to other activities. There's a band that performs in the bar/dining area every night, etc.

Not familiar w/Coconut Grove or the plantation, so I can't offer anything there. Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. Let me know what you decide, and how you like it after you return!

-Michael

Sorry for the delay.

My point is that just too many times the reality doesn't match the description, so check carefully before booking. As in all travel these days, you have to take their "isolated oasis" description with a grain of salt.

We stayed next door to Coconut Grove, and shared the beach. My concerns are, it's on a tidal beach where the water is shin deep for most of the day. The water is sandy murky when it's in and seasnakes are prevalent in the area, which while beautiful is not good in murky water. It's across the street from the airport, with planes and smell of jetfuel in the air. It is close to a generator in the yard of the house I stayed in which ran from 6AM to 9PM.

I'll try to scan and post a couple photos of the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom