(2/12/02) How Many dry suit divers are out there? what kind of dry suit do you own?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two drysuits -

A Viking PRO 590 - a great suit, used a lot by the local fire/rescue divers and the metroparks divers.

A Scubapro Hyperthane - a similar suit, but this one has a front zip.

both have latex hoods and I have dry gloves, I'm only missing the ffm and I'll never feel the cold!!

Poseidon Unisuit Exclusive, and shorts and a tee or maybe sweats under if it is really cold.

Northern Diver Cortex FEZ (Front Entry Zipper), with Polypropelene long johns and 200ct polartec top and bottom. Dry and warm.

I currently own three drysuits ...

My newest, and preferred suit, is a DUI CLX450. Awesome suit, but if I had it to do over again I wouldn't get the zip seals (the rings make them cumbersome and replacements are expensive!).

My "backup" suit is a Northern Diver Cortex. I just dived it yesterday to remind myself how much I don't like it. The suit is heavy, stiff, and doesn't fit me very well. After getting used to the freedom of diving the DUI, this suit felt like jail.

My "second backup" suit is a Diving Concepts UltraFlex Pro. In its day I loved this suit ... but it's mostly patches and aquaseal nowadays. The material is delaminating from old age, and I can't even find most of the leaks. I keep it around mostly for working dives during warmer months where I don't mind wearing a "semi-dry". But my next suit will either be another one of these or an Andy's DS3 cordura.

I have two undergarments ... the Diving Concepts TPS 200g thinsulate and the SoftWear 300G fleece. I prefer the SoftWear because it's more flexible ... and I need all the help I can get in the flexibility department. But the thinsulate stuff is warmer.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Mverick:
I have a Gates VSN Pro 1100. It's rear entry with latex hood, neck seal and arm seals. The boots on it are great and has never leaked. It is a trilam that will stretch 200% or so. Most trilams are nylon and wont stretch at all. That's why I like the Gates. I'd definately buy one again. The material is pretty tough to. Compressed is probably stronger but I'd think it's like the DUI clx 450 but with stretch in it......

I'm looking at a Compressed neo and a Viking rubber suit now. But those are for wreck and contamination use. Would wear the Gates over them any day.

Leisure pro is the only one I know who sells them and they don't show up on the online catalog. I got mine when a dealer quit carrying the line. I had been looking for one for 2 years and when it popped up I grabbed it. Nobody I asked carried them or they didn't know if they could get it in.

OH, under suits are a Bare Polar Extreme and a DUI 400g thinsulate. I also have about 6 sets of Poly pro tops and bottoms in different weights. Also 2 poly pro farmer johns. Makes outfitting for different temps a breeze.

OK, well. Now I bought a DUI CF200 sig. Custom cut. And have 2 Gates 1050's for contam use. And guess what. I'm still diving the Gates VSN1100... Because I like it the best. I dive the CF200 sometimes. But, I'm thinkin about sellin it. Because it doesn't compare to the VSN... For me...

new drysuit diver

got a (used) DUI TLS 350

so far, it's a love-love relationship (other than the first few dives, until we managed
to locate the signifcant leak that was soaking me on every dive)

Back
Top Bottom