2/3 shorty for Oahu in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Monkey

Registered
Reaction score
Is a 2/3 shorty warm enough to dive with at Oahu in June? My only other suit is a 7mil farmer john which I'm sure will be over kill. Maybe I should leave them both at home and rent a full 3mil there?

I dove the north shore of Oahu a few weeks ago (1st of May) and the water temp was at 73 degrees. I'm told it it doesn't get much above 76 at any time during the year. I dove there in a 3mm shorty and was fine, but your mileage may vary. Most people I saw while in Hawaii were diving full suits 3 to 5mm, a few shorties, and even one guy in a tee shirt (but he was a big guy :)).

Sea Monkey,

June is probably a little early for your shorty. July, August and September would likely be okay. In fact a lot of people dive in shorties or less in August/September.

Depending on your sensativity to cold, a 3mm or a 2.5 dive fleece would likely work. If you e-mail most dive shops over there, they will tell the water temp. Thus, a week or so before you go, e-mail them and then go out an buy the appropriate suit. You can also wait until you get there, but prices of suits are significantly higher in Hawaii...

By the way, did you know that Honolulu means calm harbor in Hawaiin? Hono=harbor, lulu=calm, peaceful, or quiet.

Joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom