2 more upper keys dive fatalities, 8/6/2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

400 dives! What the hell..

Wow, did I call this one wrong.

ditto: Hopefully we'll find some answers and learn something from this tragedy.....

400 dives! What the hell..

Wow, did I call this one wrong.

ditto: Hopefully we'll find some answers and learn something from this tragedy.....
You and everyone else on this thread, I suspect. Given a diver with that much experience, absolutely nothing in this situation makes any sense to me.

I dunno. I've got over 400 and my next screw-up is just around the corner if I don't pay attention to detail. Goes to show that experience does not make us infallible.

...experience does not make us infallible.
I suspect, at times, it may even contribute to a too casual approach to a seemingly innocuous dive...

I dunno. I've got over 400 and my next screw-up is just around the corner if I don't pay attention to detail. Goes to show that experience does not make us infallible.
I don't know. A diver with 400 dives should be in the ballpark for proper weighting. A properly weighted diver with an empty tank will have a hard time sinking, not a hard time floating. A fairly overweighted diver with an empty tank should be able to stay on the surface with minimal effort.

A diver with over 400 dives should be able to ditch weights easily. If not, that diver should be able to remove the BCD in a few seconds.

A diver with over 400 dives should be able to inflate his BCD orally.

I just can't see how all three could happen to a diver like that, unless there is something else we don't know.

1. How can any experienced diver buy a new BC and not bother to figure out how to ditch weights?

My LDS had a problem with a newly-received BC - sorry, I don't remember the brand. One weight pocket was STUCK. We all looked at it and couldn't figure it out. After I removed, checked out, and replaced the other weight pocket, it stuck, too. The LDS sent it back, and the Manfctr had the replacement out the door before he shipped the defective one. That means they were aware of a problem, IMO.

I hope this isn't another one of those.

I don't know. A diver with 400 dives should be in the ballpark for proper weighting. A properly weighted diver with an empty tank will have a hard time sinking, not a hard time floating. A fairly overweighted diver with an empty tank should be able to stay on the surface with minimal effort.

A diver with over 400 dives should be able to ditch weights easily. If not, that diver should be able to remove the BCD in a few seconds.

A diver with over 400 dives should be able to inflate his BCD orally.

I just can't see how all three could happen to a diver like that, unless there is something else we don't know.

Maybe I missed some details. But I don't think that is all accurate that a fairly overweighted diver with an empty cylinder can stay on the surface with minimal effort. Was he muscular build or fat? If he was slightly chubby, maybe, but if he was a muscle man it could mean overweighting would make him sink like a rock.

Maybe I missed some details. But I don't think that is all accurate that a fairly overweighted diver with an empty cylinder can stay on the surface with minimal effort. Was he muscular build or fat? If he was slightly chubby, maybe, but if he was a muscle man it could mean overweighting would make him sink like a rock.

We don't know what his weighting was, but whatever it was, he could have dumped the whole kit and survived.

I have ran OOA in my pool while playing UW poker. Since i never ran OOA before i played around with the empty tank and learned my octo still had 1 breath, and my power inflator still worked. my primary stopped functioning at 375psi.

being a few lbs heavy (new gear and not knowing proper weight or starting back from a break from diving) i still find it easy to swim up to surface.

Someone did state they were lobstering which alot of people like overweighting so they could stick to the bottom and explore holes better which could account for being even more overweight.

An Air2 type device would explain lack of AAS if it was disconnected due to leak, in efforts to save a dive.

some weights are in pockets that pull out (mares dragon, the newer aqualungs) I dont think the zippers are accessable for a ditch senario with quick release buckles jammed (i may be wrong though)

Recently had a 1st stage diaphram go out on a reg which rendered all the air useless which could be another contributing factor.

either way it is sad what happened to these divers and we will probably never know the full compilation of events, but hopefully we will learn something

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom