2 tanks: Nitrox and Air - Which one do you use first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you are going to do just that two dives at that shallow depths.

you may use nitrox first so you would be less tired (if it applies to you)

GrierHPharmD:
...snip....

The dives in question are shallow (~25 fsw), with long (90-120 minute) bottom times.

....snip....

You know.... At those depths I don't think it matters one little bit. The chances of getting bent on those profiles are so astronomically slim that I would be more worried about getting abducted by horny aliens.

As a general rule I would suggest using the Nitrox on the dive that puts you closer to your NDL.

R..

I really haven't researched it as I'd like (mainly because I breathe nitrox 100% of the time), but from practical experience, my breathing rate tends to slow down when breathing nitrox...go figure... On those two dives I was breathing 36% on the first dive, then went to 21% on the second, still breathing at the same rate. It wasn't a question of breathing shallow, it was a question of breathing so slow on 21% that too much CO2 built in my system.

I discussed the situation with a tech instructor friend of mine and right away he mentioned that it could have been due to my breathing rate for 21% being slower because I had been breathing 36% the previous dive.

But as I said before, I haven't researched it as I'd like. Grier, you being a PharmD, maybe you can shed more light into this...

In terms of tissue loading, always using progressively lower PN2s during decompression eliminates the possibility of causing a reverse gradient, which could result in ongassing when you would expect to be offgassing. Extending this concept to a no deco model over multiple dives, it would seem to make sense to use the lower PN2 gas for the second dive, as it induces a more favorable gradient towards offgassing of residual nitrogen.

Dive Safe
Adam

Scubaguy62:
I really haven't researched it as I'd like (mainly because I breathe nitrox 100% of the time), but from practical experience, my breathing rate tends to slow down when breathing nitrox...go figure... On those two dives I was breathing 36% on the first dive, then went to 21% on the second, still breathing at the same rate. It wasn't a question of breathing shallow, it was a question of breathing so slow on 21% that too much CO2 built in my system.

I discussed the situation with a tech instructor friend of mine and right away he mentioned that it could have been due to my breathing rate for 21% being slower because I had been breathing 36% the previous dive.

But as I said before, I haven't researched it as I'd like. Grier, you being a PharmD, maybe you can shed more light into this...
You might find this some interesting reading then: http://scuba-doc.com/CO2acclim.html

Thanks for the link glbirch. You're right, very interesting reading!!

The general rule of diving is to do your deepest dive first and use the mix with the lowest O2 first.

200fsw dive first, 80fsw dive 2nd, 60fsw etc.......

21% O2 first, 32% mix 2nd, 36% etc.......

Bigcape:
The general rule of diving is to do your deepest dive first and use the mix with the lowest O2 first.

200fsw dive first, 80fsw dive 2nd, 60fsw etc.......

21% O2 first, 32% mix 2nd, 36% etc.......

You realize this thread is 2 years old and the OP's tanks have surely been used by now?

in_cavediver:
You realize this thread is 2 years old and the OP's tanks have surely been used by now?

Maybe he got a reeeeeeaaaaaaaalllllllllyyyyy long bottom time out of that second tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom