2012 Exercise and Fitness Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weclome Garydemo and Instagator!!!
Garydemo- I'm a runner too, but not up to the numbers you post.. someday.. someday...
(I can be a bit blunt so forgive me).. your DM is full of himself. Let's put this in another view. As a runner, are you a more efficient runner being fit or unfit? I know, stupid question.. but ANY exercise that you are more fit, you are a better conserver of energy and the oxygen exchange that happens during a breath is more efficient. Scuba is no different. As a fit person you are more efficient underwater. The fact that you are a new diver, for now, pretty much negates all that. Sorry. Once you get more comfortable in the water, get your buoyancy control figured out and become streamlined, your air consumption will drop dramatically. Maybe Coach Izzy can explain it better, he's the fitness guru here.

Gary, glad you are starting the C25K program!!! Awesoome!!

Beautifully put together Jenny! One of the things I remind fitness trainers whenever I lead education workshops is how lately a little bit of information mixed with a lot of speculation and spiced by imagination are being passed as facts. What the DM said is the perfect example.

Garydemo, as Jenny was saying, gas consumption in scuba diving -provided there are no unforeseen circumstances- is a function of skill and experience rather than physical fitness. That's why even folks who are not physically fit can manage the activity... until things go awry.

Fitness is of tremendous importance for environmental transitions and managing emergency situations, that's why we need to be physically fit, and in my super-biased opinion, fitter than any other aquatic sports. A physically fit body also increases our confidence, which allows us to relax more in the dive, thus improving our gas consumption.

I would recommend adding strength training and alternating running with other activities to avoid overuse injuries. Best to you!

Well, turns out the store that I wanted to visit for my running shoes is closed on Mondays. I could have gone somewhere else, but I want to check them out first since they specialize in Running, Bicycling, Swimming sports.

So, I decided to head on back to the house, put on my oldest, most comfortable sneakers and start the week with a good brisk walk. Not too bad for day one, week one.

Total distance: 3 miles
Total Time: 47:14
Min/Mile/Avg 15:37
Mile 1: 17+ IIRC
Mile 2: 15+ IIRC
Mile 3: 14+ IIRC

Very cool!! Congrats on your first walk! HC twisted her ankle on Saturday, so we are taking it easy. Might go running this evening, playing it by feel.

Hope it's not serious. Maybe a ace bandage to help support it.

I walk for 45 minutes today, my longest walk to date. Could have done longer, but didn't want to push things with my blood sugar. Checked blood sugar before the walk and it was 107. The guidelines say if under a 100 eat 15 grams of carbs for every 30 minutes of planned exercise. I was planning on a 45 minute walk so I drank 4 oz of orange juice. BS reading was 65 at the end. A little below the low end range that I should be at.

Another 15 minutes of walking would probably have put me at a very low sugar level, and after experiencing how that felt last week I do not plan on pushing the envelope again.

Thanks for the real truth about fitness and breathing. It makes sense to me that a very fit person would use less energy so now I know I need to work on getting more comfortable and buoyancy.
Coach - I do strength training 2 - 3 times a week (resistance) and run 4 days a week. I really love working out and keeping fit. I wish I had started scuba many years earlier in life, but I'm excited about diving much more in the future.

We did day 2 of week 1 this afternoon. HC's ankle didn't hurt! Yeah! I plan on running in the morning... have a time constraint, so probably more of a sprint for under 2 miles. Us slow runners take a bit of time to cover that distance! LOL

Diver G, congrats on the walk! Impressive! There was somebody on last year's thread that lost a ton of weight and his diabetes went away! I hope the same for you! I mean the diabetes.. don't know if you are planning on losing weight or not.. sigh.. you know what I mean, right? :)

We did day 2 of week 1 this afternoon. HC's ankle didn't hurt! Yeah! I plan on running in the morning... have a time constraint, so probably more of a sprint for under 2 miles. Us slow runners take a bit of time to cover that distance! LOL

Diver G, congrats on the walk! Impressive! There was somebody on last year's thread that lost a ton of weight and his diabetes went away! I hope the same for you! I mean the diabetes.. don't know if you are planning on losing weight or not.. sigh.. you know what I mean, right? :)
Thanks Jenny. I've been on two a days for the past 3 days. Saturday and Sunday did the swim and walk. Today I did another 15 minute walk after dinner. My legs are a little sore. Tomorrow will probably be a rest day as I will most likely not have the time to swim. May be able to get in a walk just depends on my work schedule.

As mentioned above today's schedule will probably be a rest day, but I might have to find some time late this evening. I feel guilty when I don't at least walk. This morning I stepped on the scales and am dowm 3.6lbs this week!! That is a total of 17lbs since January 13!

Hang with it DiverG. Every positive achievement is in itself a victory.

I was a little sore and stiff from Monday's walk. Played golf on Tuesday and that just added upper body soreness to the lower soreness. But it's all good.

Did not want to walk today. Procrastinated most of the day. Finally I was able to shame myself into going out at 4:00. Ankles and knees don't like the uneven sidewalks (they tend to slope left or right depending on which direction you are going.) So, I slowed down a little to cut the joints a little slack. Did my 3 miles in 50 minutes.

Found that my Android will run Endomondo (workout tracking with GPS) and play FM radio at the same time. Walking is nicer while listening to the radio.

Keep it moving, y'all.

Back
Top Bottom