2014 accomplishments & what is next

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2014 -- realized some dreams. I dove with giant mantas in the Socorros -- amazing, awe-inspiring animals, and I will NEVER forget the trip or the dives.

I got to the Philippines, finally -- twice. Absolutely fabulous diving and warm and wonderful human beings. I could retire to the Philippines.,

I rode my wonderful new horse to a reserve championship, something I never dreamt I could do.

The end of 2014 begins my weird devolution . . . I am retaking GUE Cave 1 this month, and Fundies in January; doing both for peculiar reasons, but I'm looking forward to a bunch of exposure to great instructors, and recalibrating and fine tuning skills. After that, 2015 is almost unnervingly unplanned . . . I might take a rebreather class, just for fun. I might do my AI class, just to be able to help my husband a bit more. I really don't know what the coming year will bring.

2014 -- realized some dreams. I dove with giant mantas in the Socorros -- amazing, awe-inspiring animals, and I will NEVER forget the trip or the dives.

My shop has a group returning from Soccorro tomorrow. They said it was absolutely amazing! Whale Sharks, Mantas, porpoises & the like.

---------- Post added December 8th, 2014 at 05:28 AM ----------

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzcvQnZPbQBPbUd2UUx3aXJWZmc/view?usp=sharing

Got certified, logged 6 dives and made this video.

2015 - work on buoyancy control, hit the ocean and acquire AOW.

I see that you are from Covington, I'm in Owensboro. If you ever find yourself down in Hopkinsville to dive, look me up. I pretty much live down there during the summer, teaching.

I dived Soccorro a couple of years ago. It was truly brilliant diving. I'd love to go again.

In 2014, my main ambitions were related:
1) Buy a drysuit, and get the hang of using it.
2) Do plenty of UK dives

1) took a while. I had done around 100 dives in warm water diving and in semi-drys. For some reason I thought adjusting to a dry suit would be easy. It wasn't. It took me at least 20 dives for buoyancy control and trim to become reasonable. However, it now makes some sense.

For 2), I got around 50 dives in the year (all but 5 in the UK). That's the most I've ever done, so I'm reasonably happy.

My 2015 ambitions are to do a lot more diving, mainly in the UK but with one foreign trip added. I'm booked on around 60 dives already. A number of these are likely to be blown out. But hopefully I can supplement these with day-trips on the club rib. I'm diving Scapa Flow for the first time, which I'm really looking forward to.

Last edited:
Looks like our shop is planning another Soccorro trip in 2016... I'l make sure I'm on that one! I backed out of this year's trip becuase I wanted to concentrate on my technical diving. I have done some similar diving in the Galapagos & thoroughly enjoyed that. Our shop's group is sending back some amazing pictures.

---------- Post added December 8th, 2014 at 05:28 AM ----------

I see that you are from Covington, I'm in Owensboro. If you ever find yourself down in Hopkinsville to dive, look me up. I pretty much live down there during the summer, teaching.[/QUOTE]

I'll be looking for more local venues come spring!

2014 accomplishment: GUE Fundamentals (Rec)

2015 goal: drysuit

Early 2014 was all about preparation, I spent most of February and March preparing for cave in April.
After Full Cave I left directly for Mexico for some relaxation.

Much of the summer was spent teaching. This was a strange year for courses. There was a lot of Open water and "higher level" or specialty courses; Divemaster, side mount, solo/self reliant, Tec basics and tec40.

Personally I spent as much time as possible from mid July till November in one local cave.

2015? Who knows. Considering an Advanced Wreck course or seek another cave course or just diving in Florida.
After a few meetings at DEMA, adventure and new life chapters may be the theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was finally able to dive with back mount doubles earlier this year. Thanks to Yoga and diving, my back is the strongest it's been since college. Prior to this, I only felt comfortable carrying twin tanks in sidemount.

I also added two new overseas destinations, the Philippines and Cozumel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sidemount doesn't offer much advantage for diving locally in Puget Sound. I started it in preparation for cave diving in Mexico. I still dive with the independent twins to stay in practice, and occasionally just for fun. Sidemount feels great in the water, but it's a little more of a hassle when gearing up.

Next year I plan to finish Full Cave certification in Thailand (in sidemount). I'm also considering starting the DM training program with one of the local shops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom