Question Become an instructor or a rebreather diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fanling

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,

I have completed by TDI AN,DP,ER training last month and I enjoyed very much. I'm now in a thinking process what I should do next.. I know a lot of rebreather divers are OWSI or have more professional qualifications. I wonder anyone are just rebreather divers? My goal is to do more technical dives going deep, wrecks and eventually caves... I got a feeling being look down if I'm not an instructor. Another concerns that I'm 48 yrs old now, going instructor path would take me sometimes and I could not gain my experience in tech diving and I worry my physical would not be as good down the road. Anyone can share their experiences or comments? Cheers!

The only benefit of becoming an OWSI is if you want to teach.
Becoming an OWSI in and of itself will do nothing at all to enhance you as a technical/cave/CCR diver.

What do you want to accomplish and why? Instructor path may be rewarding for some, but the numbers do not add up for me. If you want cave and wrecks, go CC. Also please note - the easiest way to destroy a good hobby is to make it a business.

. Also please note - the easiest way to destroy a good hobby is to make it a business.
Ding ding ding.
OP: So am I unerstanding you're considering becoming an instructor because you feel it will benefit you becoming a technical, cave, or ccr diver? If I'm understanding that correctly, that logic makes zero sense. OW instructor and being a technical dive have nothing to do with each other.
Some of the worst divers I see in cave country are open water instructors who think they're bad a--es because they have a license to teach people to dive poorly at the cheapest possible price point.

Hi Guys,

I have completed by TDI AN,DP,ER training last month and I enjoyed very much. I'm now in a thinking process what I should do next.. I know a lot of rebreather divers are OWSI or have more professional qualifications. I wonder anyone are just rebreather divers? My goal is to do more technical dives going deep, wrecks and eventually caves... I got a feeling being look down if I'm not an instructor. Another concerns that I'm 48 yrs old now, going instructor path would take me sometimes and I could not gain my experience in tech diving and I worry my physical would not be as good down the road. Anyone can share their experiences or comments? Cheers!

This is the easiest question on SB. Get a rebreather. CCR is way better than teaching. :)

Thanks guys for the quick response. Really appreciate that! My tech instructor has taught a group of OWSI and instructor trainers so it's like a community of divers. He recommended me to consider to become an OWSI and mentioned all my skills like bouyancy, awareness... could make me a better tech divers. I do believe him in some ways but at this time I'm not into teaching scuba diving path and I do consider my ROI in this sports what could be better for my goals.

This is the easiest question on SB. Get a rebreather. CCR is way better than teaching. :)

For once, I find myself absolutely 100% in agreement with you.

For once, I find myself absolutely 100% in agreement with you.

I’d find that a bit hurtful if I had even an ounce of respect for you. :)

I'm not an instructor, just dive my rebreather with my friends, do a bit of project work, have fun. Time training to be an OWSI or otherwise would eat into the fun stuff. If you don't want to do it, don't. Use your leave and funds for stuff you want to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom