Instructor Professionalism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaredy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently had a jarring experience during a TDI technical diving internship. I observed the instructor demonstrating numerous dubious behaviors, which persisted over several weeks. For instance, he would repeatedly raise his voice at students when not required (ie when filling out unrelated paperwork). He would belittle trivial student mistakes. He would 'name and shame' students in their absence (repeatedly name students and reiterate the mistake they made weeks ago). He would humiliate student's by pantomiming their efforts at a 'skill' then ask "why did you even bother trying?" He would swear at his students underwater and I heard of other prior students crying. It progressed to a point where some learners in my group were fearful of asking questions.

But what I found even stranger was the response of my classmates. Although, this behavior met the textbook definition of bullying, they normalized it. One even said to me "I have seen other technical instructors act this way, it's normal in Technical Diving".

So now I am left with some serious questions.

For instance:
What does professionalism in tech instruction look like?
Should I be looking for another tech instructor, or is this actually the norm?

I would run. This would not be the person I want as an instructor, or mentor.

That's not normal and it's an incredibly inefficient teaching method. I would assume that the instructor is compensating for either a tiny d*** or a failing scuba business.

Taking students to the breaking point by setting up situations underwater, letting students fail in a controlled environment to create a learning moment - and then coaching them is good, hazing is not...

I recently had a jarring experience during a TDI technical diving internship. I observed the instructor demonstrating numerous dubious behaviors, which persisted over several weeks. For instance, he would repeatedly raise his voice at students when not required (ie when filling out unrelated paperwork). He would belittle trivial student mistakes. He would 'name and shame' students in their absence (repeatedly name students and reiterate the mistake they made weeks ago). He would humiliate student's by pantomiming their efforts at a 'skill' then ask "why did you even bother trying?" He would swear at his students underwater and I heard of other prior students crying. It progressed to a point where some learners in my group were fearful of asking questions.

But what I found even stranger was the response of my classmates. Although, this behavior met the textbook definition of bullying, they normalized it. One even said to me "I have seen other technical instructors act this way, it's normal in Technical Diving".

So now I am left with some serious questions.

For instance:
What does professionalism in tech instruction look like?
Should I be looking for another tech instructor, or is this actually the norm?

My experience is that the US Government utilizes those exact same tactics in military basic training.

My experience is that the US Government utilizes those exact same tactics in military basic training.
I can attest to this ^^. In the context of basic training 50+ years ago — turning many lazy and poorly educated civilians into motivated, disciplined soldiers— it works. But it is a lousy teaching method for civilian dive students, at any level.

That does not make it acceptable in tech diving instruction.

Maybe yes, maybe no. My comment was based on my personal opinion and experience.

Have you ever participated in military basic training? Or any military training?

Many of us who received standard OW training in the 1960s and 1970s were trained by ex-military instructors. While there was some "hazing" during stations [e.g. masks removed, cylinder valves turned down/off] it was never done in a negative manner. If your instructor is humiliating your fellow students, its time to find another instructor.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom