29 Dec 10 Fiji Diving Incident (Amy O'Maley Fatality), Part I

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom cudos to you for the life saving efforts and posting this sad story of Amy's tragic demise...... very sad but true!!! I love to dive as most do who post on the board do, and this story will make me tighten up on my safety planning for each and every dive. After all there are many distractions and changing conditions that occur, as many have pointed out on any given dive. Amy's story should be included in PADI's or other agencies training manuals for open, honest discussion. The old boy scout motto "Be Prepared" seems applicable.

Quote:
Dive operators are a niche market and we expect them to operate on shoestring budgets--paying ~$100 for two tank dives doesn't leave a lot of room for operators to pay operating costs in many places.

This goes to why they didn't shut down, too, quite likely.

I try not to be judgmental about these kinds of things. When I was in Egypt, the state of the carriage horses had me in conniption fits, but it's probably that the horses were not much worse fed than the humans who owned them. Where people are very poor, the concept of a $1200 piece of equipment to deal with the very rare near-fatality probably seems absurd.

Any respectful shipping authority would never let any cargo ships leave their sea-port without having ALL the necessary / unexpired equipment onboard. If unable to provide for safety then stay clear away off any seas and oceans at all! It does not have anything to do with the money. No money can buy lost human lives! Regulations for small boats are a little different but their main point is the same!

deleted

Such a tragic lost. May Amy rest in peace. Many heartfelt prayers to her family.

Now down to business. This is not the first time reading of such a lack of emergency response from a non-english speaking dive operation. Effective quality control and professional oversight is paramount to make the diving community safe in all environments.

I truly wish the effected diving organization publish a investigative response to this incident to help further educate the diving community.

Until then there goes my business to them. :mooner:

There is no question that the boat should have had a working 02 system and divers, before getting into the water, should assume the responsibility that the boat does indeed have one.
That said, and maybe because I am getting old, why go into the water with ripping currents in the first place. The DM should have told the captain to find a better spot. I find it no fun, and certainly not a good way to film, when I have to dive for the bottom and still hold onto a rock for dear life. That is not diving, that is breathing underwater. It is one thing to do a drift dive where a skiff is following a groups bubbles but to have to fight hard and breath down your tank just to come back to a mooring line is, to me, pointless. Several years ago I led a group to Tahiti. On one dive we all used half our tanks just to get to the bottom and then spent the rest of the dive holding on to a rock, hoping the current wouldn't blow our masks off. The bubbles were not just horizontal but were actually horizontally going down. Trust me, it was no fun at all.
Just because a DM says that is the spot to dive, the divers should be able to say yea or nay.
I am surprised that no one could have reached DAN as they have an excellent reputation. The boat's captain certainly had the time to make sure an ambulance and medical facilities were prepared as they motored back to port. That part is certainly criminal.
Steve

Thank you for sharing this story with us. Tragic event.

It made me think about whether I would be able to judge the conditions correctly as a newbie, and would have ended up as Amy did.

I have two questions for the experienced folk.

Is there any way to know in advance which dive shops can be trusted to plan dives safely? Or does it come down to not trusting anyone but yourself?

As a newbie in that situation, would the correct thing to do be to surface (alone if necessary) as soon as I saw that I could't fight the current effectively and my air was getting low?

I have never seen a diver ask to inspect a boat's O2 emergency kit before leaving dock and I am bad about that myself. Do any of you, ever?

I used to try to get info about an operation's CO monitoring and testing program. :laughing: Now I know I must do that myself, ever tank. Do any of you, ever?
I am surprised that no one could have reached DAN as they have an excellent reputation. The boat's captain certainly had the time to make sure an ambulance and medical facilities were prepared as they motored back to port. That part is certainly criminal.
Steve
I also wonder how many of us check on destination medical and dive accident treatment abilities? Do any of you, ever?

From the US State Deportment: Fiji
Water Sports: Many visitors to Fiji participate in water sports, including surfing, scuba diving, snorkeling, and operating jet-skis. Surfing on Fiji's numerous reef breaks can be highly dangerous. If you scuba dive or snorkel while in Fiji, please be sure to check the references, licenses, and equipment of tour operators before agreeing to or paying for a tour. Only rent equipment from trustworthy operators and ensure you receive training before using the equipment. Some rental diving equipment may not be properly maintained or inspected. Local dive masters may not consider your skill level when they organize the trip. Deaths and serious accidents have occurred in the past since basic safety measures were not taken during diving and snorkeling trips. Remember that safety precautions and emergency responses may not be similar to U.S. standards. Fiji has only one decompression chamber to provide medical assistance for dive related injuries. The chamber is located in Suva, which is far from most resorts. Please note that the chamber is not always fully functioning.
I'd really expect dive boats there to be modified fishing boats with only as much as it takes to attract dive business, and most shop by price more than anything else. I'd expect one to have a marine radio, altho I would might take one of my own 5 watt portables, but I'd question their abilities to contact DAN from sea.

There are a number of warnings on that page that most visitors probably never read. Here is just some more...
MEDICAL FACILITIES AND HEALTH INFORMATION: Health-care facilities in Fiji's urban areas are adequate for routine medical problems. In the rural areas, staff training is limited and there are often shortages of supplies and medications. Emergency response is extremely limited. Ambulance availability is minimal, and ambulances are often poorly equipped and staffed. Two major hospitals, the Lautoka Hospital in the western city of Lautoka and the Colonial War Memorial Hospital in Suva, provide limited emergency and outpatient services. A recompression chamber at the Colonial War Memorial Hospital in Suva can treat decompression sickness (See also Special Circumstances, Water Sports). A private hospital in Suva provides Western-style medical care, and other hospitals and clinics provide only a limited range of health services. Medical emergencies may be evacuated to Australia, New Zealand, or the United States. Serious medical problems requiring hospitalization and/or medical evacuation to the United States or elsewhere can cost tens of thousands of dollars. Doctors and hospitals expect immediate cash payment for health services.
If I were to plan a trip to Fiji, regardless of the group or dive Op, I think I would discuss possible emergency plans with DAN extensively - how to contact them from there, how to quickly arrange evacuation to Australia, how best to survive the local situation, etc...

This particular accident still seems like one of diver error first to me: Forgetting or ignoring training on certain basic safety issues. I often shudder when I read about new members here with new C-cards planning their first dive trips to far off locations.

It made me think about whether I would be able to judge the conditions correctly as a newbie, and would have ended up as Amy did.

Is there any way to know in advance which dive shops can be trusted to plan dives safely? Or does it come down to not trusting anyone but yourself?
You can check all you can but it comes down to your own call.
As a newbie in that situation, would the correct thing to do be to surface (alone if necessary) as soon as I saw that I could't fight the current effectively and my air was getting low?
My gawd yes! Grad your bud if needed but start a safe ascent when you see air getting low sure. If your buddy does not descend with you, stay with you, and ascend with you, find a good buddy as he is not.

Your first responsibility is to yourself and your family, bring your a$$ home safely not in a box. Next it is to your dive buddy, if he/she has screwed off on you don't wast your air looking for them. If you are low on air you go strait up, they should know the way to the surface.

With regards to finding out if a shop is going to put you in over your head so to speak, you have to ask all the right questions prior to booking your charter and don't forget to tell them exactly how experienced you really are.
Ask them which dive sites they plan to go to and the back up sites, get all the info on the sites including currents and recommended skill level.

DO NOT FEEL YOU HAVE TO DIVE OR CONTINUE A DIVE IF YOU THINK IT MAY BE TOO MUCH FOR YOU!

I have posted a thread on the SB support / suggestions forum, requesting the SB staff to perhaps put together a Dive Trip Advisor forum something like the Trip advisor web site. This could be used to rate dive operators and average out the scores. If you would like to see this on SB or not then add post to the thread or just click on the likes button and maybe if we get enough responces the staff will action this request.
ZDD

I have never seen a diver ask to inspect a boat's O2 emergency kit before leaving dock and I am bad about that myself. Do any of you, ever?

In Ontario, I know they have to have an O2 kit, so when I book, I ask how many O2 bottles they will have on board. If during the briefing they forget to show us the O2 kit, I ask to see where it is, but I have never inspected it. I just assumed they were full and working correctly, which are not good assumptions.

It's funny that in other countries, I often don't ask to see the O2 kit. It may be because my dives here, typically wreck dives, are a lot deeper and a little more square profiled while typical reef diving is shallower and more multi-level diving, so I haven't worried about it as much. Being complacent about warm water diving is not a good thing either.

I used to try to get info about an operation's CO monitoring and testing program. :laughing: Now I know I must do that myself, ever tank. Do any of you, ever?

I do ask, here and away, but it hasn't stopped me when they don't have an inline monitor. I then base it on the shop's reputation.

I also wonder how many of us check on destination medical and dive accident treatment abilities? Do any of you, ever?

I always check on chambers and hospitals, around here and when away. The internet and email is such a simple way to check that information. I always make sure I know where the nearest chamber will be and if I can get their opening hours/days. You would not want to go to a chamber or hospital that is closed at the moment and waste time getting redirected. After beginning EMS, DAN should be the next call and they (or the EMS) will advise where the best place to go is currently.

Back
Top Bottom