Question 2nd second stage tapping, why and how much

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phgachoud

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Why do we want a minimum amount of space between the 2nd stage lever and diaphragm making us able to hear a bit of tapping before closing with the cover? I guess we want as little as we can but dont want any tension on the lever as well to avoid being close to freeflow. So why and how much? can somebody give me/us a more extended explanation for that? thx guys!

Why do we want a minimum amount of space between the 2nd stage lever and diaphragm making us able to hear a bit of tapping before closing with the cover? I guess we want as little as we can but dont want any tension on the lever as well to avoid being close to freeflow. So why and how much? can somebody give me/us a more extended explanation for that? thx guys!
It should be in the SM for your regulator. The G260 per the SM requires you to be able to push the purge button 1mm before flow begins. I find that generous and set mine tighter. Lever rattle is not something I like. But you are right, there should be no preload on the lever by the diaphragm. Generally, if not addressed specifically in the SM the procedure accounts for proper lever to diaphragm interface.

A diaphragm that is in contact with the lever is prone to slight freeflow with any pressure, as might occur in current or scootering. Allowing a little spring pressure from the purge button spring before the lever is depressed helps keep the valve closed.
Additionally, a few designs have additional pressure placed on the skirt of the diaphragm as the faceplate is screwed down. If you have the diaphragm lightly in contact with the lever, once the faceplate is screwed on, the elasticity of the diaphragm skirt puts a hint of pressure on the lever, and cracking effort becomes very unstable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom