2nd stage regulator face plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Along with it preventing us from hurting ourselves by "servicing" our own gear. Both sound like something SP would do.

Right, because someone with all the appropriate torque wrenches and other tools is going to get thrown by a little plastic pin in a hole. :D

Too funny.

Yes, its a real thing. Occasionally, debris can get lodged in the 2nd stage, and unscrewing the faceplate, popping out the diaphragm, and manually cleaning it is the only way to get it going again.

True story, happened to litehedded at cow spring when we went through the restriction. It was a quick fix and we were on the move again.

Something similar happened to my brother's reg at 90' at our local lake. It was a MDL dive and as we called the dive, I was able to fix it so he could use his own gas. It's nice to be able to prevent things from causing panic by fixing them quickly when in a jam.

I take the pins out of my faceplates so we <can> do this, but reality is with drygloves its unlikely to happen on the surface or UW. Maybe back at the truck.

That's what I had to do to my G250v's.

[sm]Duplicate Post[/sm]

It's a CE thing. So that your reg doesn't spontaneously fall apart under water.

For reals? Has anyone ever had that happen?

Do all threaded interfaces with only like .1 diameters of engagement (guess) in the EU need to be pinned to receive the CE mark?

I had a freeflow underwater once, and my Fundies instructor took my reg apart and sorted it out underwater. I was duly impressed.

It IS considered to be a highly desirable characteristic of a regulator, if you are working on all the GUE recommendations. It makes a lot of sense for dives where aborting is not an easy option. Like so many "DIR" things, it's unlikely to be a "you're going to die" issue with simple recreational dives -- but everything in the DIR system is thoughtfully chosen to be suitable for more ambitious or challenging diving, should one ever decide to do that.

It's nice to be able to prevent things from causing panic by fixing them quickly when in a jam.

Nah... nice to have appropriate training and a gas plan so that there's no need to panic regardless of being able to fix a broken reg UW. :D

We've had to remove faceplates in the St. Lawrence river to get crap out of exhaust valves on stage regs. Its an interesting procedure in dry gloves and current. The CE and EN250 certs mandate that the faceplate cannot accidently be removed by the diver. This is why there is a pin in the Mares and Scubapro's and why there are little tabs on the Apeks covers that sort of lock them in place.

I have an A700, its a neat reg, works really well for ice diving being a metal bodied reg, buy you get similar breathing performance out of an S600, just not the cold water performance. I have to admit, I was attracted to the shiny cover and just had to get one.

For reals? Has anyone ever had that happen?

Do all threaded interfaces with only like .1 diameters of engagement (guess) in the EU need to be pinned to receive the CE mark?

Whether or not it really happens seems to rarely have anything to do with what CE standards demand. However I have seen a D400 fall apart underwater.

I can also be added to those that had to open up a 2nd stage underwater to fix things.

Whether or not it really happens seems to rarely have anything to do with what CE standards demand. However I have seen a D400 fall apart underwater.

Yah. Rainer lost a deco reg cover on a dive, but I'm doubting it actually backed out the threads. It probably hit something and broke off. *shrug*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom