3/8" HP hose swivel spool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guruboy

Divemaster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Any ideas where I can find a spool for an old 3/8" HP hose swivel?

The opening is about 1/8" diameter

Used to be the same SPGs so i would expect current swivels to work unless you have run into one before they were standardized.

For what it's worth, a lot of the early SPGs had the spool build into the SPG itself so you can't replace it. All of the old Seavue and early USD ones are that way, others are I am sure.

I have one like that but it fits fine in a modern HP hose.

Maybe a spool isn't what I need. It's an old Aqua Lung SPG and US Diver hose.

it was on a Conshelf XI reg and the SPG was just screwed down into the swivel of the hose.

Here are some pictures.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Compression seal. Interesting. So cut myself a copper washer then?

The HP spool you linked looks like my standard spools which doesn't fit.

Yep that is a standard gas fitting, NO washer or sealant of any kind is needed/used. I forgot about those, I have a few of them too. If you look inside the hose you will see a female taper that matches the male one on the gauge. Just screw them together and snug it down. It's been a while but seems like those do NOT rotate once tight so be sure to align it before snugging it down.

It is correct, that is a compression seal, not a swivel. The swivel connection was an adaptation using this same type of hose and it was introduced later by adding the spool.

The spool will not work with this cone in the pressure gauge side.

You do not need a washer or any other type of sealing device. Just clean both surfaces and tighten them together. You can adjust the preferred gauge orientation before the final tightening. Once tightening it, this end view type of gauge do not need to rotate.

The sealing is metal to metal and it is very reliable if both surfaces are clean. Do not use any lubricant or any type of sealing compound. The metal surfaces are soft and should create a good seal.

Personally, I like those rear port gauges and I wish they were still available for underwater use (SPG).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom