3 months in Roatan - what to bring vs buy there

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have 3-4 ATM's in West End but some don't accept Visa, some don't accept Mastercard and at any given time they can run out of cash or stop working. I found as long as I pulled money out before my reserves ran dry it was a non-issue. If the West End ones are acting up or are empty you can always save 30-40 lemps and take a cab into Coxen Hole and use the ones in Plaza Mar or Eldon's. Failing those you also have the airport.

The ATM at West Bay Mall only gives lemps but was always working when I was there for 2.5 weeks. The West End ATMs didn't work for me any of that time.

There was also an ATM at the cruise ship port in Coxen Hole that was open even if a cruise ship wasn't in. It gave out dollars. Its around from the bank.

But cash avoids the ATM and foreign transaction fees.

The ATM at West Bay Mall only gives lemps but was always working when I was there for 2.5 weeks. The West End ATMs didn't work for me any of that time.

There was also an ATM at the cruise ship port in Coxen Hole that was open even if a cruise ship wasn't in. It gave out dollars. Its around from the bank.

But cash avoids the ATM and foreign transaction fees.

I don't particularly care if I get dollars or lemps, they're both foreign currency to me, so I either pay to buy foreign currency and bring it with me, or I pay (probably a little bit more) to get it there from an ATM as I need it. I'll take note that they don't always work though.

How fantastic for you! Make sure if you do bring US dollars they are in pristine condition or they will not be accepted. On our last trip (April 2012) The Mega plaza mall stores and several other stores declined some bills due to small wears and tears.
Things we could not find FYI FWIW:
Nail clippers
9 volt batteries
The deep woods off (DEET) was $10 to $12 stock up from home if u r bug bite sensitive, I had to basically drip in it to survive the sand flies.
Really bring half as many clothes and twice as much cash! You can't go wrong with that plan.
Make sure you make at least one trip to Herby's Sports Bar at Pineapple Villas in French Harbour. If ur a sports fan u will really appreciate the memorabilia. It's like a little museum of sorts. The food is excellent too. I will be in Utila for 2 months Aug and September for DM and IDC! Go Pro, woohoo ><>

There's 2 ATM's at the airport - at either entrance/exit. They worked twice for our group. IIRC one was in English, the other Spanish.

Hi - first have fun with the DM program, I'm sure you will. Second, yes you are over thinking things! :)

You will be able to get what you need. You might not get the exact brands you want, so if you're fussy about that kind of thing then fill your bags up with the brand names you think are important. Yes, some US branded products will cost more on Roatan than in the US but if you're not fussy then don't buy those items, buy products made in CA which will be much cheaper.

ATMs here never hold really large amounts of cash so they run out quickly in busy tourist places and at weekends. On Utila they rarely make it to Sunday!

Thanks Rob... I'm getting ready to step out of my comfort zone in a lot of ways and while I'm really excited about it, I'm also nervous about it. In trying to avoid worrying about things I can't control when I get there, I'm over thinking the stuff I can control. I guess I'll just have to sit back, realize that what I can control is already under control and what I can't control doesn't happen for another month and a half so there's no reason to worry about it (yet).

Reactions: Doc
Don't pay any attention to RTBdiver's rudeness, you're asking perfectly reasonable questions. Just pack for a normal trip, if there's a product you really like that will make you miss home a little less, bring lots of it! Where are you doing your DM?

Don't pay any attention to RTBdiver's rudeness, you're asking perfectly reasonable questions. Just pack for a normal trip, if there's a product you really like that will make you miss home a little less, bring lots of it! Where are you doing your DM?

I guess this thread is just another example of how everybody's opinion is different about what "reasonable questions" are. I'm doing my DM with Coconut Tree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom