3442 High Pressure PST tanks and DOT exemption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmassey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello!

I have an opportunity to purchase 4 PST "high pressure" (3442) scuba tanks. I know that back in 2005 and 2007 there was a lot of anxiety (even panic) regarding the DOT Exemption on these tanks. However, I can't find *anything* since then regarding these tanks. Are these tanks still usable, and is there any reason to suspect that this might change in the future?

The person is waiting on my answer to sell them to someone else, so I'm hoping to get them an answer as soon as possible. Thank you *very* much for any help you might be able to give me!

They extended the DOT exemption for a few more years...

gimme a few minuets and I'll dig up a link to it for you.

EDIT: Found it.

DOT extended it till Jan 31, 2015.

so... if you haven't gotten them hydro'd by then, on midnight of Jan 31, 2015, they "turn into pumpkins again"

If you get them hydro'd in Jan2015, then they are good for use for 5 years until the next hydro is required (in 2020). So you better hope they get their exemption extended.

see http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/PHMSA/SPA_App/OfferDocuments/SP9791_2007060054.pdf

Thank you for any links you can give me. In 2007, it seemed that they would renew the exemption but that it would be for only 2 more years. There was talk of 4 more years, but that would only get us to 2011.

Given that there is *not* the anxiety that there was back in 2005 and 2007, I have a feeling that a longer-term solution was put in place. But before I drop many hundreds of dollars on these tanks, I'd *sure* like to know! :)

Thank you very much for the PDF! It seems that this is the standard exemption renewal for 4 years (from 2007 to 2011, and then from 2011 to 2015).

The need for an exemption renewal is true for *any* of the 3442 steel tanks made under an exemption (which, I believe, is *all* of the 3442 tanks, until DOT comes up with a new non-exemption standard for them, similar to 3AA or 3AL). The big problem was that there was fear that PST would go out of business and there would be no one to do the exemption.

Is PST back on solid footing? There have been some major changes for PST... PSI-PCI - Investors to buy tank-maker

I think it's worth the chance. But I've got a little bit more time before I make the call, so I'll take any more feedback I can get! :)

The tanks cease being DOT legal the minute the exemption expires, regardless of hydro status. so a last minute hydrotest is no guaranty of another 5 years.

Though I suspect that many shops will go on filling them regardless of exemption status as long as the hydros are good, so it may be worth trying.

It would be perfectly legal for a shop to do so.

Another thing we have learned from the near and actual expirations of exemptions is that the DOT really does not want any of the major exemptions to expire, since it will make huge amounts of extra work for them, so they will do their best to facilitate renewal.

If you get them hydro'd in Jan2015, then they are good for use for 5 years until the next hydro is required (in 2020).

Is PST back on solid footing? There have been some major changes for PST... PSI-PCI - Investors to buy tank-maker

I do not know who facilitated the recent extension but My understanding is that PST is not required to make it happen. Anyone can initiate the request. Granting is based on the absence of a reason not to do so. In other words, unless they start catastrophically failing and reports are on file renewal is mainly a slam dunk. The required testing was all done at original issue. Extension is based on no surprises.

Pete

Thank you all for the feedback. I went ahead and bought the tanks: two 80's and two 100's. Of course, three days after I bought them a LDS sent out an e-mail offering brand new tanks (with hydro and VIP, of course) for $239 and $259. The ones I bought will need both. In the end I will have paid less than that, but not too much less and with a lot more hassle (and that's assuming that they all pass hydro and I didn't buy expensive wind chimes...).

My guess is that the LDS tanks are the Genesis 3442's, which are spray zinc coated, not hot-dipped galvanized. The Worthington/XS Scuba tanks are still in the $350 range. The Faber tanks seem to be in between the two.

How long have the 3442 Genesis tanks been around? I looked at new steel tanks heavily about a year ago and I saw no mention of them. Are they new? It's a *very* attractive price!

Thank you all for the feedback. I went ahead and bought the tanks: two 80's and two 100's. Of course, three days after I bought them a LDS sent out an e-mail offering brand new tanks (with hydro and VIP, of course) for $239 and $259. The ones I bought will need both. In the end I will have paid less than that, but not too much less and with a lot more hassle (and that's assuming that they all pass hydro and I didn't buy expensive wind chimes...).

My guess is that the LDS tanks are the Genesis 3442's, which are spray zinc coated, not hot-dipped galvanized. The Worthington/XS Scuba tanks are still in the $350 range. The Faber tanks seem to be in between the two.

How long have the 3442 Genesis tanks been around? I looked at new steel tanks heavily about a year ago and I saw no mention of them. Are they new? It's a *very* attractive price!

a lot of the Genesis tanks are the "spun steel" tanks made by Asahi (in Japan). I'm not sure if Genesis is still getting them from it any more. If so, they were much heavier than most people want and some will say they have their own issues. Investigate before purchase.

XS Scuba just put out a dealer special on the Worthington X7-100 HP1003442psi. It should result in your dealer (LDS) getting a good deal on them which he can pass savings on to you. especially if he buys 6 of them for the shipping discount. *hint hint*

Wow. If those low prices are for Worthington tanks, I'm going to be really disappointed with my purchase. But good for everyone else who can take advantage of it!

mike_s, Any idea how much XS Scuba will be bringing the price down...I'm looking to get another set of doubles and the X7-HP100's are on the list ???.....Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom