3D Printing Experts in the House?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's sitting happily in my dovetail tray on the bench. Slainte!

1679062669978.png

Happy ending today...

I contacted UBC Engineering's 3D printing lab shortly after posting here. Their website implies printing services for students and UBC employees, but I applied anyway and stated I was an alumna (which I am) so got a reply within a couple of days.

Measurements were provided by me using my dial calipers and the student built the models with a bit of tolerance, 0.2mm, for the inner diameters.

I picked up the pieces today... the square tube is a smidge looser than the original 3, but it won't slide off so it's fine. The round ring was a bit snug, so I took all of a minute or two to file it up a bit, and it's now perfect.

The invoice hasn't arrived yet, but I know this entire project will have cost me less than digital calipers alone, never mind the learning curve of new software to build the models myself.

Yay :)

My digital calipers are one of the most used tools in my basement/garage shop. I find them indispensible. These are the ones I have been using for the past 12 years:

1680592777078.png

Also, I have been using our local public library to have a few things 3D printed. They charge $0.07 for each gram of filament used in the print, which makes their service much more affordable than any commercial shop in the area.

-Z

FWIW, I still have my vernier calipers from the 60s, and dial calipers from the eighties. I really love the digital ones though they don't seem to last as long.

I'm still using my old and trust Mitutoyo caliper. I believe that my dad bought it for my brother and me when we were in the technical school something like 1972. It's more or less 50 years old.
IMG_1550.JPG

100% agree with using Onshape. Should be dead easy to draw up those shapes. Don't expect there would be any "sprues" if 3D printed. A little filing will smooth it if you require that.

I'm still using my old and trust Mitutoyo caliper. I believe that my dad bought it for my brother and me when we were in the technical school something like 1972. It's more or less 50 years old.View attachment 777554
Hey emoreira, I have a question for you on a different topic. Could you message me. Since I’m new I can not send you a message.

Back
Top Bottom