3mm or 5mm for Tropical Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In those temps a 5 mil is my choice if doing more than say 2 dives a day with little time to warm up in between. Cold is cumulative in it's effects on the body. While I'd be ok in a 3 for the first two dives on a hot day by dive 3, and especially 4 ,I'd be freezing unless it was in the 90's for air temps.

What shop doesn't let you try on a suit before you buy it? Not a shop I'd return to, that's for certain.

In a place where shops are abundant it would be wise to choose a diffrent shop. But here in the central part of the country there are only 2 shops within 60 miles of me and both are fairly limited in stock. and one does not have a pool to try things on. I think outside of these two shops there are not really any large shops to speak of that carry enough volume to make a difference for at least 100 miles or more from here.

My statement was more geared through experience in the local area. I am sure though in places where more competition is available there may be more flexible shops.

Also not sure if your implying try it on for size or try it on in the pool. Both here will let you try it on for size if they have them in stock. Other then that I have only got reviews from others which as we know are not always accurate and are 2nd hand information also of the shops and most people here just did not have good experiences in trying them out in to see warmth and so forth from what I have heard. Personaly I knew exactly what I was looking for and it helped out in selection. I guess so far Ive been lucky!

Man when it comes to investing into gear its hard to give advice though because whats good for me may not be good for you.

Indeed, this is so true; "cold" is different for everyone. Isn't nice to dive without a suit an feel the water? :D
But let's face it Mclougs, I think like most of us you do get cold easily and there is nothing worse than a dive where you are shivering. The only thing you can think about is to get out and warm again.
Therefore I would go for the 5/4mm. Most important when buying a suit is the fit and it sounds like the Scubapro are made for you :) And just get the hooded vest too if you are planning repetitive dives. It is a nice add-on for the night dive.

Enjoy!

Giving advise and getting advise is so hard, like mentioned before everyone has different likes and needs. The dive shops by me are limited to 2, and most dont carry 3mils for rental purposes. They only sell 3mils and rent 7mils for the quarry in pennsylvania. The shop i deal with wont let me use a 3mil in the pool which is supposed to be 80f, if i can find one that would in the new york area the scubapro small i tried on is a perfect fit and supposed to be warmer suit than most it would make my decision of 3m or 5mil easier. I can always buy a hooded vest for repetitive dives and night ones then. Just afraid of getting too thick a suit. Also have to take into consideration the compression issue over time suits loose some of their insulation at deeper depths and the seasons i vacation in. Thanks for everyones advise, im soaking it all in.

Hi, I'm in the market for a new suit. I live and dive in the southernmost part of the Caribbean (Trinidad & Tobago), my choice is based on two factors: time of year and depth. On any given day its a 3mm shorty but I'm now toying with the idea of a 3mm fullsuit or 5mm fullsuit. The 1st three and last three months of the year tends to be somewhat cooler water temperatures and it can change acutely with depth. I'm 6'2", 240lbs and seriously thinking of the 5mm. As someone indicated before this type of advice can be challenging since it comes down to personal comfort. I've seen some guys with swimwear who are quite comfortable where others need to have on at least a shorty. I prefer warm when in the water.:D Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom