3mm shorty for 27c-28c

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickoz

Contributor
Reaction score
My question to the people in the know is :
Will a 3mm shorty in 27c @ say 70msw do the trick or will it just cruch too much & be useless :06:

Rickoz:
My question to the people in the know is :
Will a 3mm shorty in 27c @ say 70msw do the trick or will it just cruch too much & be useless :06:

I have always used a 3mm steamer (ie long legs and arms) in water around this sort of temp. Wearing this suit I have noted as follows:

Fiji - 26C (July) coolish by the end of a long dive

Vanuatu - 29C (April) while some dived in shorts and T shirt most of us were feeling a little cool by the end of a long deco dive in a 3mm steamer

A steamer also has the advantage of protection against coral and stingers. I wouldn't be too worried about the suit crushing at depth - it has always been towards the end of a dive (ie shallow) that I have started to get cold.

Vanuatu is what i'm doing, but will be using trimix

Two weeks ago I was in Moreton Bay, the water was 27c doing non deco diving, all i was using was just a Aeroskin but no longer than 40mins, i was not cold on any of the dives.

Hi all i'm back from my trip. I dived my Aeroskin under suit only.
I'll give you some good & bad on just using a under suit.
THE GOOD Ok the water was 30c top to bottom, i never got cold even on the 90min dives & easy to move around.
THE BAD OK if my wing failed i could not swim up off the bottom (your dead :crossbone )
So will i ever use just a under suit when using twins & decos Na!

When I was in Coz in Jan, the temps were about 25-26C and I was fine the whole time in a full 3mm hyperstretch suit. Most of the diving was around 50-60ft, but even down to under 100ft there was no problem.

I tend to wear a 5mm full suit in 28c water.

To be honest i dont think i can ever envisage diving in a shorty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom