3mm shorty or full suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll agree with all the previous posters with a couple of caveats. If you get cold easily (as I do) or you are planning on multiple dives, I'd go with the full protection of at least a 3mm. Typically, if I am doing a lot of dives, I will wear a 3mm shorty over a 3mm farmer jane. Even if you don't usually get cold your core temperature will drop when doing mulitple dives. Also, if you are diving the wrecks, you will be going deeper where the temperatures are not qute as balmy as the +/- 84-86 degree waters of July in the Keys. Perhaps the best thing to do is to pack few options, if you have room. Have fun diving!

We dove Key West the second week of May. The water was right around 80. I wore a 3 mm shortie for the first day only and my wife was bathing suite only the whole week. Neither of us got cold. Unlike most folks, I prefer to dive without protection whenever possible. I’m somewhat :rolleyes: on the clumsy side and the more reasons I have to be aware of where my body is in relation to the reef, the better it is for both.

I'm going to Key Largo in 3 weeks and the water will probably about 85F. I dove last June in a 3/2 and that was more than enough. In fact, I'm thinking of what Tom suggested and going with a 1 mm full. And that's only to protect arms and legs. Even with the thermoclines, the water in July will be like taking a warm bath.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom