3rd (or is this the 4th) Annual Venice Beach Turkey Fry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken - I've narrowed the location down.... Look HERE and you'll see.. Zoom in till you can see the white pipes on the beach near the condo.

Oh.. hey.. we're not cooking children this year. It took weeks to clear things up with intergalactic childrens services post event last year to convince them that the pic of Ian eating a turkey leg was in fact a TURKEY leg. :)

Could you quantify "chilly" ?

Cbulla...What about manatee steaks?

Venice beach is a fossil hunt for sharks teeth in about 15ft of water … the water temp should be chilly and it has bad vis … sounds like a fun dive to me lol… I’ll dive with you
03.gif

Kim P
Hmmmm what to bring

Divergirl4u:
Venice beach is a fossil hunt for sharks teeth in about 15ft of water … the water temp should be chilly and it has bad vis … sounds like a fun dive to me lol… I’ll dive with you :wink:
Kim P
Hmmmm what to bring ....
Sounds good!! :yelclap: DH and I will probably 'swap off' diving so we can watch the little guys. Have you been fossil hunting before? From what I've read, it's a real art... I don't want a hundred, but two might be cool.

How come there are so many right here? Should I be concerned, lol? :sharks: I know these are fossils and not from last week, but still....

smatterchu:
Have you been fossil hunting before? From what I've read, it's a real art... I don't want a hundred, but two might be cool.

I don't know Kim's experience, but there will be lots of experienced fossil hunters there. We can switch buddy teams until folks are happy. If I don't find at least 100 on a dive, it's not a good day. Set your goals higher.......

smatterchu:
How come there are so many right here? Should I be concerned, lol? :sharks: I know these are fossils and not from last week, but still....

Be afraid, be very afraid! Actually, because it's in Florida. You'll find the same in any quarry, major building site or river/stream in the state. When sea level was much lower, before global warming ended the last ice age, there was a river running through the area we now dive off Venice. That river dug them up.

Walter:
I don't know Kim's experience, but there will be lots of experienced fossil hunters there. We can switch buddy teams until folks are happy. If I don't find at least 100 on a dive, it's not a good day. Set your goals higher.......

Be afraid, be very afraid! Actually, because it's in Florida. You'll find the same in any quarry, major building site or river/stream in the state. When sea level was much lower, before global warming ended the last ice age, there was a river running through the area we now dive off Venice. That river dug them up.

Very cool! Thanks!

Wow, I had no idea about the Venice area -- interesting!! I'm not originally from FL (who is, lol)....so that's news to me. Thanks!!

Walter:

I have only been once … I dove off of the condos we are meeting at (straight out from the pipes) we had no vis (3ft) except the bottom 2ft was crystal clear … so I just dropped down on my belly and I could see unlimited. There was a slight current that down running down the beach but not to bad with the shallow depth I was down 1 hour and 20 min and still had air in my tank. Today the water temp is 71 in a couple of weeks it should be colder so I will wear my full wetsuit with hood and should be fine.
I am suppose to go to Boca (work) sometime over the next couple of weeks … anyone interested in a wreck dive with Lady Go Diver let me know at divergilr4u@yahoo.com
Kim P

In regards to facilities at the beach - its whatever you want to bring yourself - cover, chairs, blankets, coolers, cooking stuff.

Its probalby only 100yds from the parking on the street to the area we use for the cookout and where the pipes are we dive out from.

If we could get a temp reading closer to the date, that might help for those of us who havent dove there lately.

gatogordo:
Could you quantify "chilly" ?

Cbulla...What about manatee steaks?

Venice beach is a fossil hunt for sharks teeth in about 15ft of water … the water temp should be chilly and it has bad vis … sounds like a fun dive to me lol… I’ll dive with you
03.gif

Kim P
Hmmmm what to bring

Chilly - upper 60's, lower 70's... T-shirt and speedo diving weather!

Yeah.. dive with me.. I've refined my pig-pen technique to something a little more radically different.. works out just as well and I don't work as hard. The half mile swim to the bone zone isn't so bad either.

smatterchu:
! I'm not originally from FL (who is, lol)....
Well, me, Sharkbaite.. Reefguy... :)

Thought I saw that someone was bringing a couple differant kinds of stuffing.... then put me down for bringing a big tub of my famious turkey gravy! Just gonna need a way to keep it warm.
Also please don't throw away the carcasses... I make great turkey soup too :D and would love to take them home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom