40m without deep specialty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dose it really matter, no one cares padi just trying to get every cent out of you they can. Once you've got your ow dive cert going deeper than 60 feet is all about experience.

Thanks, I was under the impression that AOW certified you to 30m (the depth limit for the deep adventure dive) and you required the additional deep specialty to go to 40m.

I've obviously got certified and training dive limits mixed up.

If you want to go below 130' then do it if you feel you have the skills and equipment. Whether or not you have a deep cert specialty wouldn't sway me much one way or the other.

I'd just pass on one piece of advice that John Chatterton gave in a seminar that I thought was pretty solid: nobody has any business diving deeper than they can swim to the surface on one breath of air without a redundant gas supply.

Not many people can do a CESA from 40 metres. Best to carry a pony. Or doubles.

How many times has the question been asked about how deep you are "allowed" to go with this cert or that? It's up to the operator, maybe the captain and a DM or the people you will be diving with which determines how deep you can or should go. Like I said before, I dove the sand and entered a couple swim-through compartments on the Speigle Grove with a DM while having only 10 ocean dives logged. I went 165 feet with a DM on Cozumel when I had 25 dives. It depends a lot also on the diver and how he/she acts. Since then I have gone into ship "wrecks" a few times with other divers with overhead environment certifications though I don't have the cert myself. Same goes for a couple caves just to see if I'd like it. Didn't. Too much preparation and gear and not that much to see anyway. The ocean is it for me though the dives on the Oriskany a couple weeks ago might as well have been in the ocean had it not been for the pollution in the upper water.

PADI AOW certifies to 130 Ft (40 meters). Recommended 100 ft, Max 130 Ft is the wording if I remember correctly. The 2 required dives (out of 5) for AOW are deep and navigation. You have to have AOW for DM. I'm confused... If you have AOW, you are certified to 40 Meters.

Interestingly, the specs say that anything below 61 feet is "Deep" so you could take a "Deep" speciality and never go much (if any) beyond 20 meters (65 feet) or 25 meters for that matter and still earn your "Deep" cert if you were willing to pay the money for it.

Interestingly, the specs say that anything below 61 feet is "Deep" so you could take a "Deep" speciality and never go much (if any) beyond 20 meters (65 feet) or 25 meters for that matter and still earn your "Deep" cert if you were willing to pay the money for it.

When I did my Deep Diver cert my deepest dive on the course was 81 feet. The other dives were in the 70s somewhere.

I'm SSI certified.
OWD allows you to go only 15 meters (18 was previously, but owing to security issues, they decided to rise the level - reduce risks).
AOWD cert is automatically given after 24 dives and checking out 4 specialities. The checkout dives count in the 24 dives.
Those 4 specialities can be any that sum to Advanced and Deep diving is not a must (for example Nitrox or UWphoto are specilities that do not sum for Advanced).
Deep diving cert allows the diver to dive up to 40 meters (130 ft), though a recomendation is done to limit the first dives to 33 mts (100 ft).
Deep dive checkout involves 2 dives going beyond 15/18 mts.
My two check out deep dives were 19 meters and 22 meters. To make things more difficult for the check out, there was no bar at the security stop depth, no reserve tank if you suck all your tank, and the security stop was done finning looking the watch and the depth meter with the right hand, and the BC power inflator in the left hand.

I guess most of "it" depends on the operator you are going out with. If they are satisfied with your experience vs. cards then it's not an issue. I dove with a bunch of guys to deeper depths prior to getting my AOW cert, but they knew my experience and abilities, and knew that I could handle the dives (as did I)

The bottom line is if you have enough experience why do you need a specialty to do a particular dive that's still within the realm of "recreational" diving? I've never seen someone at a particular depth ask for my "diver's license" because I was below my "certified" depth, nor have I ever needed to prove to anyone afterwards that I have the certification to do the dive I just did!

If you are AOW and a DM, (and 100-199 dives) I'd say you have enough experience to go those extra few meters!

Thanks for the constructive reply, your profile shows member joined in 2006 but you don't seems to have grasped the point of the forum. Oh well.

"This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted"

This topic is to my knowledge not covered in the instructor manual nor the DM course and therefor 3.5million dives would not help me answer the question.

Sorry. Didn't mean to flame you. Just didn't make sense. Cave Bum wrote something like - PADI AOW certifies to 130 Ft (40 meters) You have to have AOW for DM. I'm confused...

I'm confused too. Not sure how you are DM without AOW (dont want to assume, just if that is the case). AOW is to 130ft. Besides, anyone can go to whatever depth they are comfortable with as others have posted.

Back
Top Bottom