4500psi fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WD8CDH

Contributor
Reaction score
I am curious as to the availability of 4500psi fills across the country. Now that many SCUBA shops are filling paintball cylinders, I see 5000psi compressors a lot.

Out here on Long Island NY, half of the dive shops that I go to can fill to 4500psi. What is it like in other parts of the country?

We do them, most of the shops around here do not but they are learning.

I am curious as to the availability of 4500psi fills across the country. Now that many SCUBA shops are filling paintball cylinders, I see 5000psi compressors a lot.

Out here on Long Island NY, half of the dive shops that I go to can fill to 4500psi. What is it like in other parts of the country?

If you're considering having a SCUBA cylinder filled to 4500+ keep in mind considerations and dangers of such, like the rating on burst discs, potential wear on first stage HP seats and increasing chance of free flow, etc. etc. etc.

Not in your country but we do fill and I do use 300bar.
Hence my name.:D
Just gives you a bit of extra gas.
Ok you do need new tanks and (newer)DIN regs.

If you're considering having a SCUBA cylinder filled to 4500+ keep in mind considerations and dangers of such, like the rating on burst discs, potential wear on first stage HP seats and increasing chance of free flow, etc. etc. etc.
Hi Cave Diver.

I am not asking about OVER filling tanks beyond their rating. Just curious about how widespread the 4500psi capability is. I don't presently have any SCUBA tanks rated to 4500psi but I used to own a set of AGA 4400psi DOT 3AA tanks and a set of Russian titanium tanks that were rated for 550 bar (about 8000psi).

Last edited:
A touch off topic, I know a guy that had two Heiser 190's doubled together. They were rated at 4375 with a + stamp. That takes a 5000 psi compressor to fill. Of course, if you are familiar with the cylinder you know it takes a mighty big man to tote one of them. I have no idea how he carried two. :shocked2:

A touch off topic, I know a guy that had two Heiser 190's doubled together. They were rated at 4375 with a + stamp. That takes a 5000 psi compressor to fill. Of course, if you are familiar with the cylinder you know it takes a mighty big man to tote one of them. I have no idea how he carried two. :shocked2:
That's just sick. About 125 pounds negative full for the pair.:shocked2:

We keep our cascade tanks topped off at 4500 psi. Makes it real easy for me to get a good fill on my HP 3500 tanks.

I'm just curious: what kind of tank would you possibly take to a shop to fill to 4500 PSI?

These days, compressors are usually rated to 5000 PSI but that's for purposes of filling HP (e.g., 444CF @ 4500 PSI) bottles for banking air or nitrox. But you don't "fill" these at Scuba shops.

Back
Top Bottom