5 dives in a day - 7 in a weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be more concerned about ascent rates, safety stop, gas selection (eanx) and SI.

+1 on gas selection. Use the highest percentage of O2 you can safely dive with (watch your MOD) and limit your exposure to as much Ni as possible.

dmoore---the dives in the GOM I'm referring to are all deep(square profile) dives, think my shallowest one was 83'--usually with current & sometimes with regulator 'losing current'.....To my knowledge, very few DCS cases reported on the Fling--you must have a 2.5 hour SI between each, max of 130' for 1st dive of the day then max of 100' for all other dives...They really watch out & care for you on the trip....Also, now that I'm 62, I do set my watch for 5 minute safety stops---just one of those 'getting older things'....lol....

All the above, and vitamin B...2 pops before the noon, keeps you pumping throughout the day!

Many good suggestions here. Hard to know what else to recommend without an ideas of what the dive profiles, etc., will be like. Since you have less than 25 dives, just be extra cautious about your ascent rates and safety stops.

Gallons of water, NITROX, and extra long safety stops (5 mins) with really really slow ascents. I stop for about 20-30 secs every 10-15 feet or so from the half stop up. This slows my ascent rate considerably. For energy, protein has helped me way more than carbs. Carbs cause the sugar ups then downs while proteins helps in the long haul.
And fruit for carbs + water + that sweet taste.

YMMV.
Just my 2 psi.

Another 60+ diver here

As others have mentioned good thermal protection as your body core temperature will be dropping by dive 5 if you don't (wear a hood as suggested), keep well hydrated and well nourished.

Make a deep stop (half your deepest depth for 1 minute) as well as adding an additional safety stops at 3M intervals for 1 minute from 12 or 15M until you reach the standard safety stop at 6M.

Recently I did the IANTD trimix course as it was one of the legal ways for me to obtain EAN50, which I regularly use for safety on deep NDL dives. What I did not bargain for was getting deeper (pardon the pun) into tech diving, but even on NDL dives I now include the additional stops so that they become second nature

Enjoy your trip

Last year I dived for 3 weeks around Sulawesi 4-5 times per day each day. Never felt tired, never skipped a dive. I was eating like a pig and drunk normal amount of water, nothing extreme.
I had no alcohol at all during that period or smoking though. I find that those two are a bad combination the night before. Finally, I did wear a hood during all my dives despite warm water temperatures.

So you will be fine but if at any time you feel disorientated or not up for a dive just sit it out. No need to push yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom