5 Vehicles now firebombed on Cozumel? (4 were taxis)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepsea21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Things are getting a little "interesting". Did the local politician ever officially activate those state police that came to the island a few months ago? Somewhere I read that their activation had been tied up or delayed for financial reasons as the local politician wouldn't officially activate them or something.

Link with photos: https://www.poresto.net/ver_nota.php?zona=qroo&idSeccion=5&idTitulo=633110

Translated:

COZUMEL, March 15 .- Bombing five vehicles with Molotov cocktails, there were four taxis and one private, there are only two complaints in progress for these acts of vandalism committed at dawn.
Another atypical dawn took place in Cozumel, where there were no serious criminal acts, now the balance was five vehicles attacked with Molotov cocktails, four of these linked to the taxi service, and one particular, all were cases separately.
Regarding the units affiliated with the taxi drivers union "Adolfo López Mateos", its secretary general, Miguel Alonso Marrufo, announced "if they burned vehicles at dawn, one in particular, the 559, they threw a molotov bomb in front of the car set fire, a neighbor alerted the partner and managed to turn it off, but there was damage. The partner thought that it was a short circuit that caused the fire. Then he went to sleep and at around five in the morning these guys went by again and they threw another bomb on the side of the truck, but they turned it off again ", another of the affected taxis was 617.
Alonso Marrufo He related "I was told one was in the CTM colony and the other on the 10th of April. Another colleague inside his garage was set on fire, another taxi was thrown at the pump but it only came to the tire and the neighbors turned it off, and there is one more that is an individual who was also burned with a Molotov bomb. "
These four vans type Van of the taxi service were not in operation at the time of the attacks in different colonies, but parked in the particular premises of the operators who would use them this Thursday in the usual service.
The union leader complained that "the security issue is something very serious, it is overflowed, I do not know who they want to get this signal, but it already touched us taxi drivers and individuals."
Although there were attacks on these vehicles, the coordinator of the State Attorney General's Office, Aldo Orlando Chim Guerrero, reported that only two complaints were in the process of being received by the Prosecutor's Office. In one of the cases, the affected party said that around 05:40 hours there was a rumble outside his home, when he left he noticed that his Chevrolet Malibu model vehicle was being caught by the flames in the trunk and he does not know who caused that crime.
He added that the second complaint had to do with the damage to a taxi, produced with a Molotov bomb, without providing more details.
For his part, Néstor Iván Segundo Pérez, commander of the ministerial police, denied having any investigation order at 2:00 p.m., but considered that during the course of the day they would be receiving the service or offices from the Prosecutor's Office.
In none of the cases, the intervention of firemen was requested, since the owners extinguished the fire by their own means.

Another colleague inside his garage was set on fire, another taxi was thrown at the pump but it only came to the tire and the neighbors turned it off, and there is one more that is an individual who was also burned with a Molotov bomb. "
This translation makes it sound like the drivers were set on fire and taxis were thrown at water pumps before the neighbors shut them off. Thanks for sharing the link so I could make sense of it.

I followed the link to figure out if it was a weird translation issue, but I can't figure out what the bit about one of the attacks being in the Colonia CTM and the other being on the 10th of April is supposed to mean. Is 10th of April a Cozumel neighborhood? Or did one of these attacks happen in the future?

This translation makes it sound like the drivers were set on fire and taxis were thrown at water pumps before the neighbors shut them off. Thanks for sharing the link so I could make sense of it.

I followed the link to figure out if it was a weird translation issue, but I can't figure out what the bit about one of the attacks being in the Colonia CTM and the other being on the 10th of April is supposed to mean. Is 10th of April a Cozumel neighborhood? Or did one of these attacks happen in the future?
Hey,lighten up...it’s Mexico,Man...

This translation makes it sound like the drivers were set on fire and taxis were thrown at water pumps before the neighbors shut them off. Thanks for sharing the link so I could make sense of it. I followed the link to figure out if it was a weird translation issue, but I can't figure out what the bit about one of the attacks being in the Colonia CTM and the other being on the 10th of April is supposed to mean. Is 10th of April a Cozumel neighborhood? Or did one of these attacks happen in the future?

Got to love google translator! :clapping:

I'm going to assume you were saying that yes, this attack happened early next month. :)

I'm going to assume you were saying that yes, this attack happened early next month. :)

I think she was referring to the first question. I don't know what 10th of April signifies but it is common in Mexico to name roads based on special dates. Wouldn't surprise me if it extended to neighborhoods.

:facepalm:

Yes - I live in 10 de Abril, it is a neighborhood - back in the hood and is one of the more problematic neighborhoods - but this is a personal vendetta of some kind - same taxi driver owns all 4 taxi's - they often have several "placas" - licenses and have :employees" driving them

Back
Top Bottom