50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I remember correctly many years ago there were some studies on diving over 35 that basically said you have a 1 in 5 chance of a fatal heart attack if you're over that age and are just taking up SCUBA diving. Guess I'm safe since I started diving before 35 :) lol

So I went to a new doctor a couple weeks ago and he asked me if I ever had a stress test, I replied "Follow me around while on a dive". New England waters = cold, currents, bad vis and rocky, hilly climbs both in and out and long walks with gear on to and from the car (when I'm not diving off a boat).

Sea Hunt / Mike Nelson... Probably got me mentally prepped for diving.

Hope I'm still diving at 70..like some of you here. The brain is still in it's 20-30ish but the back is about 80 so I don't flip the tank over my head anymore but I can still out dive and out breath 20 year olds.

Good to see me and my buddies aren't alone.

lobsterman, I think that study must have been pretty old or otherwise compromised. As you say, diving is good exercise to keep you healthy. Personally, I don't plan on checking out with a heart attack for a number of years.

Free diving since 1953,scuba since 1956

Where do you live?
Panama City Beach,Florida

Where do you dive? Started in the NE and have been diving World wide since 1959,retired 2000 at age of 61 since then became a Gucci Diver,2000 Cocoas Island,2001 Red Sea,Channel Islands 2002,Bahamas 2003,since then Mostly Florida and Florida Keys.

Favorite dive shops?
Dudas Diving Duds,Cave Adventures,Dive Locker, the old underwater sports of New Jersey

Current certification?
NAUI Instuctor,UNCW temp diver,Platinum Pro 5000 1996

"Being 70+ Diver is easy, getting there may be a problem for some of you guys"

Last edited:
yea...I'm glad to see that I have plenty of years of diving ahead of me!! We're in our 50s and I just surpassed 200 dives this summer while in Grand Cayman!!

I also find it funny that this thread started 3 yrs ago!!

Favorite places...everywhere we've been: Flower Gardens, Cozumel, San Andres (Coloumbia), Bonaire, Grand Cayman, Kaui & The Big Island!

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?
I am 52 years young -- dive mostly in Monterey, certified in 1994 by a great instructor Ron Rose, favorite dive shop, Steve at Stan's Dive shop, Ginny at Any Water Sports, and Keith and Carol at Bamboo Reef they run great dive trips. I live in Gilroy Ca, certifications OW 1, OW 2, Rescue Diver, on my way to Divemaster and then instructor. I want that to be my retirement job. I am a teacher of the disabled now. Have been diving in Bonaire, Belize, Cozumel, Catalina Islands, going to Honduras. Live Life as an Adventure or just die!

I'm 66 and doing fine!

Where do you live? Columbia, MD
Where do you dive? All around the Caribbean
Favorite dive shop? Columbia Scuba
Current certification? AOW (will get my Master Diver from Mike Ange in a couple weeks!)

Michael

63 years young. Been cycling all my life it seems on my BMW 1973 1/2 75/5, live on a little piece of heaven, 60 acres with airport. Build and fly ultralights and sport planes. Know life on the ground, above the ground and now under the water. I love it!! Have 15 dives under my belt and waiting to do more. AOW. Going to Lake Martin, wind creek for labor day weekend. Old 76 winnie, tan, with a prop on the front if anyone is looking for me. Taking a tank and having a friend take me out in the boat to dive. Any good suggestions on location to dive? Would love to have someone come and show me around. Getting there on Thursday, staying till Monday? My friends told me I am crazy diving and with everything else that has happened to me, I guess I am -- but -- I am not suicidal. Gotta do things by the number less the earth smite thee. Looking to meet some of you fine folks in the future. Will take you diving on the Chattahoochie. Ted

Back
Top Bottom