5060 problem with mode dial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bbarnes

Contributor
Reaction score
My husband dives using an Olympus 5060. On our trip to Saba and Statia last week it developed a problem. At the beginning of our 2nd day of diving he turned the camera on and it went as far telephoto as it could, would not change to 'My Mode' and would not activate the shutter. That evening we took it out of the housing, removed the battery, turned it on and off and could not get the mode dial to function. However, all of the other buttons (Quick view, AEL, OK etc) worked fine. He dove the rest of the trip with my old backup....grumbling of course. We got home yesterday, and just for kicks I turned the little sucker on and it seems to be operating normally. He was diving with fresh dessicants and there was no evidence of any flooding or damage. Has anyone had any similar experiences? We are due to go see the coral spawning in the Flower Gardens in August and I don't know whether to send the camera in to be looked at (It, of course, is out of warranty) or consider it a funky fluke and trust that it will continue to function normally. Any help would be appreciated.

The 5060 has been notorious for problems with the mode dial. You aren't the only one.

I had the same problem with my 5060 mode dial a few months ago and I just had it repaired at a local olympus service center. It was also out of warranty but the part they changed, the CMD unit (whatever that is) wasn't too expensive - only 1000 Philippine pesos or around 20 USD. Maybe yours can be easily fixed too.

Cathy

If you open and close the UW housing without pulling the plunger that locks into the mode-dial, the dial on the camera will be damaged and the problems you described will occur.

Time for a repair.

Yup , the old Mode dial problem !!! Oly replaced my camera 4 times before I was happy. It usually starts off as an intermittent problem , but eventually it becomes a permanent issue .

Not lifting the mode dial cup on the housing when opening and closing it can damage the camera , but two of my 5060's that Oly replaced never even made it into the housing .

I would send it in now .

Mine started acting up when in Hawaii - good thing wasthat I could get it to work most of the time - when got back home sent it in to Olympus to be repaired - I think it cost $167.00. No problems since

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom