5D Lens suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the the Aquatica zoom gear. I forget what the part number is. In fact, I never take it off my lens even when shooting topside! I can't comment on the difference between the glass and plastic dome since I haven't used both. I should point out that when using the 100mm macro lens, I don't have a the manual focus gear. I use the auto-focus. I also have the macromate lens from Backscatter. It is has the flip mount so that you can fold it up out of the way when you are not using it. The problem is that it has such a shallow DOF (only a few mm) that it is nearly impossible to get the auto-focus to lock. What I do instead is to use the camera option 4-1 to move the auto-focus to the * key. That way, I can essentially put the lens into fix focus mode. Then I "focus" by moving the whole camera in and out until the image in the viewfinder is sharp. This takes a bit of practice, but isn't really that hard. It is certainly less painful than waiting for the autofocus to lock.

I have been thinking of getting the manual focus ring, but it is so pricey that I have been toying with the idea of making my own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom