(6/18/2005) Diver lost off Jupiter Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One more comment on the current here. My experience, it always runs faster on the surface. In the days before safety stops, you just followed the float line up, and the world was good. Now, you gotta have a DSMB.
If there was a current, safety stop or no, the diver could end up more than 1/4 mile away in a few minutes. Then how long before somebody notices he is missing

Splitlip:
Randy often dives, so he might have been in the water.
Don't know the details.
Well, we're all guilty of making assumptions based on the article, however, given that the quote is "Randy Jordan...last saw him surfacing" only one of two conditions could be true:

Either Randy was on the surface and 'saw him surfacing', e.g. Randy was on the boat, or else Randy was diving when he 'saw him surfacing', e.g. Randy was underwater.

I can't think of any other conditions under which Randy would "see him surfacing"...

Can you?

Doc Intrepid:
Well, we're all guilty of making assumptions based on the article, however, given that the quote is "Randy Jordan...last saw him surfacing" only one of two conditions could be true:

Either Randy was on the surface and 'saw him surfacing', e.g. Randy was on the boat, or else Randy was diving when he 'saw him surfacing', e.g. Randy was underwater.

I can't think of any other conditions under which Randy would "see him surfacing"...

Can you?
Agreed.

Splitlip:
Randy often dives, so he might have been in the water.
Don't know the details.

Agreed. I don't know the details either.

Joe

Doc Intrepid:

Can you?

My assumption was that the reporter got their facts wrong, or gave the wrong quote to the wrong person. I do not have any relevant information on this incident.

I do hope this turns out well (that they find the diver alive), but I am afraid the opposite will hold true.

Joe

Doc Intrepid:

Can you?

In the fantasy world of modern media Randy didn't even need to be there. In fact, Randy might not even exist. The really deadly assumption in all this is assuming that you can believe a single word of what you read.

R..

Diver0001:
In the fantasy world of modern media Randy didn't even need to be there. In fact, Randy might not even exist. The really deadly assumption in all this is assuming that you can believe a single word of what you read.

R..
Did you work for Dan Rather? :crafty:

Ok, sorry I asked a question. I didn't know if surfacing was leaving the bottom heading up or the act of head breaking the surface. I learned my lesson on this, I'll just read and wonder from now on. Sorry again for asking a question.

I made the decision a long time ago not to dive with JDC after diving with them on varying occasions. My experiences told me to stay away, and the experiences of others confirmed my decision.Some instructors I know went diving with JDC and was told to do a drift dive with no float. The Dive Master in the water had no float. They of course refused to dive and got into an argument with the captain. I do not no the details of this particular incident that happened with this diver but I do hope and pray that he will be found okay. The diver and his family will be in my prayers. There are other options in the Jupiter area for fun, SAFE diving.

i found this on the web also:

Scuba diver missing off Jupiter [General] - Matt Hoelscher - tiswango@yahoo.com @ 19:11:20
Scuba diver missing off Jupiter

By Michelle Sheldone
staff writer
June 19, 2005

JUPITER — A retired New York police officer failed to surface from a recreational scuba dive about four miles off Jupiter Inlet on Friday, prompting a 75 square-mile search that got under way at 10:40 a.m.

Frank Langon, 55, an advanced Nitrox certified diver vacationing in town, was enjoying a day on and under the water with two friends who work for the Palm Beach County Sheriff ’s Office.

Advertisement

He was on the first of a three-tank dive with the commercial vessel, “Republic 4,” in about 130 feet of water at a popular dive site known as the “Hole in the Wall.”

Randy Jordan, owner of Jupiter Dive Center, last saw him surfacing as he should have been, 30 minutes into the dive that began at 10:10 a.m.

“He was healthy, in good shape, in good mental health,” said Jordan.

Coast Guard Station Lake Worth Inlet search and rescue workers were assisted by the Palm Beach County and Martin County sheriffs' offices, Pam Beach County Ocean Rescue, the Jupiter Police Department and three commercial dive vessels.

Langon’s tank contained a Nitrox mix that allows for longer dives at particular depths, Jordan said. The Hole in the Wall is a reef that drops from about 125 to 155 feet of water, with a cavern that curves upward toward a huge opening. It’s considered an advanced dive that, because of its proximity to the Gulf Stream, is frequented by bull sharks.

Dan Brady, owner of the “Blue Tang” out of Blowing Rocks Marina that assisted in the search, said it’s a “safe dive,” particularly since Republic 4 divers weren’t spear fishing.

“Unless you’re spear fishing, (the sharks) wouldn’t bother you,” he said.

The bottom current was running north at about 2 to 3 knots, while the surf current was at 4 to 5 knots, and a “rip” on the water’s surface, signaling a hard-running current, was moving up the ledge in a near straight line.

Rescue workers searched the surface as far north as Port St. Lucie and dove various sites as tanks and time down allowed.

Charter captains at Seasport Marina likened the search to looking for a needle in a haystack.

Search and rescue air and sea units continued their search into the early evening.

“We’ll continue until we’re instructed to stop,” said Coast Guard spokesperson Sandra Bartlett.
TrackBack (0) PingBack (0)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom