633 divers collect over 1,500 pounds of trash at a Florida beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

АлександрД

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Guinness World Record for largest underwater cleanup set by 633 divers in Florida - CNN
190616142801-02-divers-guiness-world-record-exlarge-169.jpg

http://www.ladbible.com/news/inspirational-divers-break-world-record-with-ocean-clean-up-20190616

The 633-strong team of divers earned themselves a place in the record books by forming the largest mass underwater cleanup on Saturday.

Organised by the Dixie Divers in Florida, the group donned their aqualungs and picked up litter from the sea floor near the Deerfield Beach International Fishing Pier.

Arlington Pavan, the owner of the Dixie Divers facility, told the South Florida Sun Sentinel:"Oh, it's amazing to see everybody here, happy, just amazing.

"The last record took 24 hours and we did it in two hours, so it's amazing."

The 'last record' Pavel referred to belonged to the 614 divers, led by Ahmed Gabr, who jumped into the Red Sea to perform a clean-up in 2015 and claim the record... until now.

On Saturday, Guinness officiator Michael Empric arrived from New York to oversee the attempt and carry out a headcount.

Speaking to the South Florida Sun Sentinel, he explained: "I actually stood there and clicked off everyone as they got in the water... so we know immediately whether or not the record's been broken."

The divers entered the waters in groups and had to stay under the water for at least 15 minutes to meet the record's requirements, which they did.

Among the divers was 13-year-old Dahlia Bolin, who arrived from Illinois with her mum Rebecca to take part.

Describing one of her underwater finds - a metal sign with the words, 'boats must not come within 100 yards of pier' on - she said: "It was at the end of the pier about 20 feet down, just kind of buried in the sand. There's a lot of heavy weights for fishing line down there, but there's some really beautiful fish, mostly."

The weight of the rubbish cleared from the sea floor has not yet been revealed, however, the news outlet reports that a whopping 725kg of lead fishing weights was removed from the water.

Well done, guys.

9ed572a05d063da762f635480a77fd29.png

very cool..i was unable to make it but would be interested in who here did. Were you part of this world record?

Wow; impressive.

Guinness World Record for largest underwater cleanup set by 633 divers in Florida - CNN
View attachment 527447
http://www.ladbible.com/news/inspirational-divers-break-world-record-with-ocean-clean-up-20190616

The 633-strong team of divers earned themselves a place in the record books by forming the largest mass underwater cleanup on Saturday.

Organised by the Dixie Divers in Florida, the group donned their aqualungs and picked up litter from the sea floor near the Deerfield Beach International Fishing Pier.

Arlington Pavan, the owner of the Dixie Divers facility, told the South Florida Sun Sentinel:"Oh, it's amazing to see everybody here, happy, just amazing.

"The last record took 24 hours and we did it in two hours, so it's amazing."

The 'last record' Pavel referred to belonged to the 614 divers, led by Ahmed Gabr, who jumped into the Red Sea to perform a clean-up in 2015 and claim the record... until now.

On Saturday, Guinness officiator Michael Empric arrived from New York to oversee the attempt and carry out a headcount.

Speaking to the South Florida Sun Sentinel, he explained: "I actually stood there and clicked off everyone as they got in the water... so we know immediately whether or not the record's been broken."

The divers entered the waters in groups and had to stay under the water for at least 15 minutes to meet the record's requirements, which they did.

Among the divers was 13-year-old Dahlia Bolin, who arrived from Illinois with her mum Rebecca to take part.

Describing one of her underwater finds - a metal sign with the words, 'boats must not come within 100 yards of pier' on - she said: "It was at the end of the pier about 20 feet down, just kind of buried in the sand. There's a lot of heavy weights for fishing line down there, but there's some really beautiful fish, mostly."

The weight of the rubbish cleared from the sea floor has not yet been revealed, however, the news outlet reports that a whopping 725kg of lead fishing weights was removed from the water.

Well done, guys.

View attachment 527448
Yay!

I was going to take my daughter but she and my wife went diamond hunting in arkansas and got back the day before. I ended up diving palm beach that day instead. We did get in the guinness record last year with dixie divers so that was pretty neat. I think she was the youngest member, just turned 12 and got certified a week before. Last year most of the people doing clean up were just sight seeing, that pier is generally a no swim zone because of all the fishing. Last year was seriously disorganized, hopefully this one went a lot smoother!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom