7 Dives A Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yateoh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Guys,

I'll be doing some diving in Borneo at the end of this month. I've been to this resort twice already and what attracts me to this resort is that they provide unlimited dives from the dive centre and not to mention the marine life is amazing.

I'm flying in on 30/11/2011 and flying back to Kuala Lumpur on 4/12/2011.

30/11/2011 - Arrive Tawau Airport. Probably do 3 dives
1/12/2011 - Dive
2/12/2011 - Dive
3/12/2011 - Dive
4/12/2011 - Flight back to Kuala Lumpur at 1820

The resort provides 3 boat dives. I plan to do 7 dives a day as the reef is teem with abundant marine life and I'm into UW photography. Here's my planned diving schedule :

6am : 1 Shore Dive (10m-18m)
8am-Noon: 2 Boat Dives (20m)
1pm : 1 Shore Dive (10m-18m)
3pm : 1 Boat Dive (20m)
5pm : 1 Shore Dive (10m-18m)
7pm : 1 NIght Dive (10m-15m)

TOTAL = 7 DIVES

30/11/2011 - 3 Dives
1/12/2011 - 7 Dives
2/12/2011 - 7 Dives
3/12/2011 - 7 Dives
4/12/2011 - Flight back to Kuala Lumpur at 1820

TOTAL = 24 dives in 4 days

My last dive on the 3/12/2011 would be at 8pm and that leaves me about 26 hours before my flight. Question is : will I risk getting the bends with 24 dives if I stick to the depths written above?

Your advices are greatly appreciated.

You risk the bends every time you dive, pretty much, regardless of whether or not the dives in question get the okay from a set of tables, a computer simulation, or the readers of ScubaBoard. I would not undertake the risk of that series of dives.

You didn't say how long you were planning to stay down, or what mix you were diving on. Air or nitrox? That looks to be a pretty aggressive schedule - you might just get away with it with a reasonably strong nitrox blend (can you get 40% at the resort?) and keeping your dives short, but on plain air I think your cumulative nitrogen will get you in trouble. Particularly if your night dive on 3/12/2001 (the day before you fly) finished at around 8pm or so (not questioning your maths, but I make that to be 22.5 hours before your flight...).

If you seriously want to run a profile that aggressive, buy some deco planning software and run your proposed schedule (and mixes) through it.

Depth, time, SI ?

Use the planner on your computer or run the tables. Simply not enough information.

Want to have all dives on a 25' reef? No problem.

Your nitrogen loading from the previous day will probably get you on your computer model.

Didn't you learn 'dive planning' somewhere along the line? I'm surprised to see such a 'basic' question in the Advanced Forum.

Present a 'proper' plan for your dives, and I can give some more feedback...

Tips:

Plan the dives, dive the plan. Throw in some extra conservatism; nitrox, longer SI etc.

If using a computer, consider putting it into a more/most conservative mode.

Stay hydrated. Don't get drunk or hangover. Get lots of sleep each night. Refrain from strenuous exertion before, during and after dive.

I only know how to dive with Air and I plan to stay down for 40 minutes.
I just assumed anybody who wants to do 7 dives a day wants to maximize their bottom time. Five fifty-five-minute dives with longer surface intervals would be a safer, more efficient way to manage that. I wouldn't do that, either, without nitrox.

I seriously doubt this is manageable if boat dives are included, but could be manageable if all dives were from the jetty / shore. Boat trips take time to travel to and from the dive site, time for divers to exit and more time for divers to come back on board, plus the boats might not leave bang on schedule.

Follow Devon Diver's recommendations above and check your computer frequently.

Personally if I had to dive Mabul without going to Sipadan, I would have long 90 min+ dives from the jetty and perhaps fit in 2 boat dives.

That 6am dive though will be in your dreams, not likely to find any staff around at that time and the dive locker area is most likely still going to be locked up.

And I would think trying to keep that schedule you might find out its not much fun. I think I would look for less dives and maybe a little more bottom time. I am not much for that detailed of a plan some days i just might want to sleep in.

Cheers
Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom