7 Dives A Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TOTAL = 24 dives in 4 days . . . Question is : will I risk getting the bends with 24 dives if I stick to the depths written above?
Sure. But, that doesn't mean you will have any problems. It doesn't mean you won't either. You won't know the actual risk - for YOU - until you do it. Sorry, but that's the best we can say. Have you done something like this before? How did you feel afterward?

I haven't done 7/day, but last year on a Bonaire trip I did 6/day for 4 days, two on the fifth day and flew 18 hours later. Did I have some shoulder / joint discomfort afterward? Yes. Was it nitrogen bubbles? Probably. Was it serious? No. That isn't a recommendation to do it, by the way.

Stay fit, rested, hydrated. Use nitrox to the extent possible, without overdoing your cumulative oxygen exposure. Think about whether you REALLY want to do 7 / day. Frankly, doing 6/day beat the h**l out of me, and this year I dropped back to 6 on one day, and four on the remaining days. Can you get the pictures you want with fewer dives/ day?

In any event, let us know how it goes.

Seems pretty aggressive ... when do you plan to eat?

Best I've managed on vacation was six dives in a day ... once in Roatan and once in Bonaire. And both times I just wasn't physically up for more than about three dives the following day ... and I was diving EAN32.

Once here at home I managed seven dives in a day. But I started my first dive at about 5 AM and ended my last dive about 8:15 PM ... and there was a big potluck barbeque going on in the parking lot during surface intervals. I slept real well that night ... and the next day too.

Perhaps you've got more stamina than I do (wouldn't surprise me ... I'm an old, fat dude) ... but the clock ticks at the same speed for us both, and I'm thinking you're not allowing sufficient recovery time between dives ... particularly if you're diving air.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Guys,

I'll be doing some diving in Borneo at the end of this month. I've been to this resort twice already and what attracts me to this resort is that they provide unlimited dives from the dive centre and not to mention the marine life is amazing.

I'm flying in on 30/11/2011 and flying back to Kuala Lumpur on 4/12/2011.

30/11/2011 - Arrive Tawau Airport. Probably do 3 dives
1/12/2011 - Dive
2/12/2011 - Dive
3/12/2011 - Dive
4/12/2011 - Flight back to Kuala Lumpur at 1820

The resort provides 3 boat dives. I plan to do 7 dives a day as the reef is teem with abundant marine life and I'm into UW photography. Here's my planned diving schedule :

6am : 1 Shore Dive (10m-18m)
8am-Noon: 2 Boat Dives (20m)
1pm : 1 Shore Dive (10m-18m)
3pm : 1 Boat Dive (20m)
5pm : 1 Shore Dive (10m-18m)
7pm : 1 NIght Dive (10m-15m)

TOTAL = 7 DIVES

30/11/2011 - 3 Dives
1/12/2011 - 7 Dives
2/12/2011 - 7 Dives
3/12/2011 - 7 Dives
4/12/2011 - Flight back to Kuala Lumpur at 1820

TOTAL = 24 dives in 4 days

My last dive on the 3/12/2011 would be at 8pm and that leaves me about 26 hours before my flight. Question is : will I risk getting the bends with 24 dives if I stick to the depths written above?

Your advices are greatly appreciated.

Since you have no Nitrox options, and don't seem to want to know too much about the science of this, just make every other dive to less than 20 feet ( an offgassing dive). So if you do a 60 foot boat dive in the morning, make the next dive, even if with a 60 foot bottom, a dive where you stay at 20 feet and concentrate on the surface fish, which can be intereting, and the long views along the seascape you are presented with at this perspective.....Clearly it will be better if you can be "dropped" in areas with shallower reef crowns for these shalloer dives, so that at 20 feet you are closer to the reef itself.

But since you don't know what you are doing with dive planning, you will need a decent Dive computer--something you would not need if your dive instructor had not short changed you on your dive education ----This may well have been agency related, as some agencies will bait people in with a bare bones Open water cert, with the Agency idea that once you get this, you will then be signed up for about 6 more courses, after which you will be good enough at diving to survive by yourself in a swimming pool......And at this level, you should be able to plan dives on a trip like you describe, while diving with a group that includes a good divemaster, and provided you have a decent buddy.

Personally I don't like the idea of any diver being reliant on his computer for dive planning, but as bad as that is, it is worlds better than having no planning tool at all other thann asking on scuba board!!!!!

You were right to ask here.... I am not putting you down...What I am slamming is the agency agenda that pushed high volume sign-ups of new students, and minimizes skills and costs of the initial class....AND leaves some newly certified divers thinking they are ready for a dive trip....

What's the motivation to drive that schedule? Are there that many sites that you need to get in 7 individual dives/day in order to see them all? If you're repeating sites, I'd suggest fewer, longer dives with longer surface intervals. Otherwise you're chasing a meaningless number (dives) and sacrificing a more meaningful one (bottom time).

Guys,

Thanks for the advices. I'll reduce my dives to 5 or 6 dives when I'm there. And will dive shallower too. Also, I'll rehydrate, eat and sleep well I have a Suunto D4i.

I'm actually to be blamed for the lack of knowledge skills. I reckon I have the experience, having dived solo a couple of times but admittedly, I go with the flow and that is wrong. Will double my effort in planning my dive trip rationally and realistically.

Keep it coming with the advises. Appreciate it. Will give you guys a dive report in December 2011.

Make sure your DAN insurance is current.

I have a Suunto D4i.

I'd recommend using some dive planning/simulation software, in advance. Have a look at 'DiveNav' and their 'Divepal' software... you can access them online and they are cheap.

Plug in the dives/profiles that you're interested in doing - and see how that's going to effect you in respect of your nitrogen/tissue loading.

Not only will that help you determine a prudent dive schedule - it'll also be of great educational value.

I've been on dive trips that have involved multiple, aggressive diving patterns for extended times... all recreational and well within limits. Assessing the dives afterwards, it was scary to see how my slow tissue compartments were the controlling factor after a few days. That's serious territory to tread in.

That is a big list for dive's..you might make two or maby three days but the Physical fatigue is going to take you down. I agree with all the above and bottom time would be better that a fat log book for a weeks worth of diving. And the possibility of really hurting yourself would not be wort it.

Looking at your time table all dive are 2 hours apart with suggested 40 bottom times. That leaves you with 100 min SI on all repetitive dives. After each dive you will have nitrogen "residue" left that can and will collect more nitrogen during the following dives that will lead to bubble growth. I am sure you understand the issue with bubble growth. IMO opinion the suggested SI are to short and will inrease your risk for DCS. Personally I would not follow your proposed dive plans.

This is why I love Scuba Board. Guy asks a question, gets lots of good answers basically all regarding safety and not taking too great a risk.

Y'all full on rock.:rocker::cheers::drummer:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom