7 foot hose and Snorkel problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snorkeling skills are a inherent part of OW training ... at least for the agency I've been teaching for since 2004 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No. Snorkels are a largely unnecessary part of the outdated syllabus. You may still be required to teach some skills but they are not part of the skill set needed for scuba diving, this is simply an observation that your chosen agency needs to get real. I am sure there are some very odd and unusual circumstances where one might possibly find a use for a snorkel whilst diving. If there are then why not have a speciality card for it? The training program could teach people how to deal with the entanglement hazard and other problems caused by carrying an item of equipment that you don't need in virtually every other diving scenario on the planet. If ever I needed a snorkel I would like to take this course - I admit to having no skills with this item whatsoever.

Like Bob I am required to teach snorkeling and skin diving skills before I can put people on scuba. I believe it is a valuable tool to develop and determine comfort in the water. Of course this is during an ow course that is 6-8 weeks in duration. Or more if necessary.

Like Bob I am required to teach snorkeling and skin diving skills before I can put people on scuba. I believe it is a valuable tool to develop and determine comfort in the water. Of course this is during an ow course that is 6-8 weeks in duration. Or more if necessary.

Interesting. I started out with PADI OW. It was 4 days. I don't much like snorkels or snorkelling. I'd rather sit on the beach than go snorkelling. I did a couple of hours snorkelling in Gran Canaria that I enjoyed but beyond that I can't think of any other occasion. PADI appear to me to be the main agency to need a snorkel. I don't think it really develops "comfort" in the water. It's a device to let you surface swim whilst looking downwards. In 20 odd years of diving I can't think of many times I needed to surface swim looking downwards. Maybe the PADI rescue course - searching for a lost diver. The visibility here in the UK means that this exercise is academic - anything over 5m (15 foot) deep and you wouldn't see the diver. In fact in 20 odd years of diving I have never worn or needed a snorkel outside of training.

beanojones:
1. Did you use a swivel (if so which kind)?

2. How did you handle the extra dangle when walking around on land? (I have had several people jump from standard gear to 36"/40"/42" underarm hose to extra long hose (5 ft), because the 36"/40"/42" hose ends up not sitting nicely in the way a 5 footer does when walking on land.)

On the 40" hose, we use a right angle adapter; on the regs with 36" primary hoses, we run the hose over the shoulder and tolerate the loop, since this is all just pool gear. Whichever, the primary hose has a boltsnap on it and is clipped off when not in use, so it hasn't been a problem on land, but again, "land" consists of the pool deck. I use a wrapped hose in open water, whether with classes or elsewhere.

No. Snorkels are a largely unnecessary part of the outdated syllabus. You may still be required to teach some skills but they are not part of the skill set needed for scuba diving, this is simply an observation that your chosen agency needs to get real.

In part you're correct ... skin diving skills are a carry-over from earlier times and gear. On the other hand, competence in scuba diving is as much about being comfortable in the water as it is about the skills taught in a modern scuba class ... and there's no better way to develop in-water comfort than spending time in nothing but mask, fins and snorkel. You learn a lot about breathing, relaxation, and proper finning technique ... which apply directly to what you'll be doing on scuba.

How much this benefits the student depends on the individual ... some people come to class already comfortable being in the water, while others have to put real effort into getting to that point. But in all cases, being comfortable in the water helps a student get more benefit out of the in-water part of the class. The reason it was dropped from the modern curriculum is primarily due to time and cost considerations ... but it's also the primary reason why we see so many certified divers flopping around like muppets in the water ... they never got comfortable being there in the first place. Those who do inevitably look more like they are supposed to look after having completed their training.

In this case, the snorkel isn't so much a safety tool as it is a learning tool ... but it's useful nonetheless ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In part you're correct ... skin diving skills are a carry-over from earlier times and gear. On the other hand, competence in scuba diving is as much about being comfortable in the water as it is about the skills taught in a modern scuba class ... and there's no better way to develop in-water comfort than spending time in nothing but mask, fins and snorkel. You learn a lot about breathing, relaxation, and proper finning technique ... which apply directly to what you'll be doing on scuba.

I think it is a great advantage to be comfortable in the water and if snorkelling helps some people achieve this then great. I can only speak for myself in that snorkelling doesn't make me feel at all comfortable and I would rather visit the dentist than go snorkelling. As a diver I am very comfortable in the water. Perhaps I am unusual - I am happy if this is the case. Nevertheless I still cannot see that snorkelling is a universal way to help people learn scuba diving.

What does one learn about breathing when snorkelling that crosses over to scuba? Snorkelling means the odd duck dive to go look at something interesting. You hold your breath to do that. When you submerge to commence a scuba dive you do not hold your breath. This seems to me to be building in a dumb habit therefore. Snorkelling is not good practice for the slow and deep breathing pattern that benefits you in scuba. As to finning technique - really? On the surface you will have a completely different finning style to underwater. Try frog kicking at the surface - your feet are out the water.

I'm not saying people shouldn't snorkel. If you enjoy this pastime why not. But it has nothing to do with scuba. It has nothing to do with scuba training.

This is a rather 'interesting' post from someone who appears, at least on the basis of logged dives, to have a considerable body of experience.
What does one learn about breathing when snorkelling that crosses over to scuba?
Uh, hmm, how about breathing entirely - inhalation and exhalation - through your mouth? Most people with reasonable upbringing are encouraged from a very early age to breath in and out through their nose. There are a number of physiologic reasons why 'nose breathing' as a general practice is encouraged. (The need to 'mouth breath' during vigorous exertion is another matter.) It may also be a matter of appearance - I cannot count the number of times my mother said to me, 'Close your mouth and breath through your nose. When you walk around with your mouth hanging open, you look stupid.' (And, I am sure that I did. Of course, in later professional life, I refrained from saying people / patients breathing through their open mouth looked stupid - I merely started referring to it as the 'O sign'.) For divers who were appropriately directed to 'nose breath', making the transition to mouth-breathing - more importantly, being able to control their breathing altogether - is at times a challenge. It is a transition for many divers to learn to breath entirely though their mouth. But, it is critical to scuba.
Snorkelling is not good practice for the slow and deep breathing pattern that benefits you in scuba.
You are kidding, right? If anything, it is excellent practice for deep breathing - you have to, or else you will retain CO2, by essentially rebreathing previously expired CO2. Requiring OW students to do their initial swim in mask, fins and snorkel (not allowing the 200 yd freestyle swim) is an excellent way for an instructor to identify students who may have potential issues latter in training.
As to finning technique - really? . . . Try frog kicking at the surface - your feet are out the water.
Again, you must be kidding. How did you learn to swim? How did you learn to use the frog kick. I learned the frog kick many years ago, while learning the breast stroke which, as I vaguely seem to recall, involved - ah, yes, swimming at the surface, I am sure that must be right. I am thankful I learned to do so. If you cannot frog kick at the surface without your feet coming out of the water, a reasonable question would be whether you actually know how to frog kick.
But it has nothing to do with scuba. It has nothing to do with scuba training.
No, that is simply wrong. It does.

Now, maybe there is a middle ground in all this. And, instead of making broad, negative generalizations about snorkels that are not necessarily true, or categorical statements that are simply unfounded, perhaps your specific experiences could be alternatively presented. If you said - in the context of the post that started this thread - that with certain gear configurations the use of a mask-mounted snorkel might be problematic, I would agree (as I already did in an earlier comment in this thread. If you were to say that, in certain diving environments - low viz conditions, for example - a snorkel may have very limited, if any, utility, I would be on board. If you say that trying to use a modified flutter kick at the surface is impractical, or that trying to surface swim with your legs bent 90 degrees at the knees, like they may be much of the time underwater, is ineffective, I could go along with that, as I suspect many of the posters in this thread would. I do happen to surface swim often, particularly when I use shore entries / exits. And, I may even use a second stage instead of a snorkel at times when I surface swim. But, none of those situations suggest that snorkelling has 'nothing to do' with scuba, or scuba training.

Last edited:
I think it is a great advantage to be comfortable in the water and if snorkelling helps some people achieve this then great. I can only speak for myself in that snorkelling doesn't make me feel at all comfortable and I would rather visit the dentist than go snorkelling. As a diver I am very comfortable in the water. Perhaps I am unusual - I am happy if this is the case.
As I said, how much it benefits the student depends on the individual.

Nevertheless I still cannot see that snorkelling is a universal way to help people learn scuba diving.
... there is no such thing as a universal way to help people learn scuba diving ... everyone has their own experiences, aptitude, and learning styles that they bring to the table. A competent instructor will discover what they are and use appropriate tools and approaches to help the student achieve the course objectives. Snorkeling skills can be an important part of that tool kit ... but it does depend on the student. I believe I said as much in my earlier post.

What does one learn about breathing when snorkelling that crosses over to scuba?
Mouth breathing ... believe it or not, some people have to work at it for a bit before they can manage it comfortably. And it's a good tool for learning about moderating your breathing cycle to manage CO2 buildup. There are also those who need to spend some time getting used to having their face in the water ... snorkeling is a great way to develop that comfort zone before handing them a regulator. For many, OW class is the first time in their lives they ever had to think about breathing at all ... having them on a snorkel is often an effective first step in getting them to the point where they're OK with a regulator.

Snorkelling means the odd duck dive to go look at something interesting. You hold your breath to do that. When you submerge to commence a scuba dive you do not hold your breath. This seems to me to be building in a dumb habit therefore. Snorkelling is not good practice for the slow and deep breathing pattern that benefits you in scuba.
... you're confusing snorkeling with free-diving. Snorkeling often occurs at the surface, where you breathe continuously while your face is submerged in the water. In OW class, this is how we begin teaching things like propulsion skills.

As to finning technique - really? On the surface you will have a completely different finning style to underwater. Try frog kicking at the surface - your feet are out the water.
Hmmm ... first off, there's more to finning technique than just the frog kick. Second off, I frog kick at the surface regularly. Third off, when I teach frog kicking to my students, we begin the process at the surface. Seems to me you have some technique issues you might want to work on.

I'm not saying people shouldn't snorkel. If you enjoy this pastime why not. But it has nothing to do with scuba. It has nothing to do with scuba training.

It's pretty obvious to me that you have never taught anyone how to scuba dive. Perhaps you should leave the lofty pronouncements about what is and isn't effective training technique to those of us who do ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

how about breathing entirely - inhalation and exhalation - through your mouth? .

If we are talking about devleoping breathing patterns, then we have to talk about breathing patterns. There is no similarity at all between how ones breathes from a regulator (fully exhaling, slow inhale) and breathing froma snorkel (keeping lung volume for buoyancy, sharp exhale to half lung volume). There is no benefit to and in fact there is a hazard to, exhaling beyond a certain point on a snorkel.

The problem with most people who think snorkels are useful is that they only use them in the kinds of conditions (pools, lakes, and similar conditions) that give them the false confidence to think that a snorkel would somehow be useful in bad surface conditions. They don't every have to learn the exaggerated breathing pattern that is necessary in rough conditions when the snorkel is always full of water. And then they go to the snorkel in an emergency and drown. The only time a snorkel should be in the mouth is in the 'only during Open Water Diver training" type situations of people having to wait on the surface for their turn.

If mouth only breathing is a useful skill to practice, then what possible benefit is there to practicing it the wrong way on a snorkel when practicing it the right way on scuba is available?

I love free diving. I even love free diving in a pool. It just has nothing other than a historical accident to do with scuba. In times before BCDs, this was not the case, because in those times people on scuba had to decend from the purpose positively buoyant, and handle being negatively buoyant underwater.

But the breathing pattern was still not even slightly close, just the constant ballast and wetsuits compression ideas.

I learned the frog kick many years ago, while learning the breast stroke which, as I vaguely seem to recall, involved - ah, yes, swimming at the surface, I am sure that must be right. I am thankful I learned to do so. If you cannot frog kick at the surface without your feet coming out of the water, a reasonable question would be whether you actually know how to frog kick.No, that is simply wrong. It does.

Why learn how to do something that is nothing like a kick with fins in order learn how to kick with fins? Why learn swimming out of trim which one must do in order for the fins to not leave the water on the surface? Why learn to how to half kick because otherwise the fins slap the surface.

You are begging for something to be learned badly just to justify a historical quirk.

In scuba, the only surface kicking that makes sense, power wise, is on the back because the full kick stroke can be done. I personally prefer (if I am stuck swimming on the surface) to ride belly down on the gear, sthe ticking my face in the water to check things out, and free diving down and back to the BCD raft. But these are both things that involved kicking wrong, and are just dealing with a less than ideal situation.

But, none of those situations suggest that snorkelling has 'nothing to do' with scuba, or scuba training.

Yes it does. It is amazing how long people put up with computers being laid out like TV (landscape mode) simply because of the historical hiccup of early computers having to use TV monitors. There were even people who like you managed to come up with endless back rationalizations for it being that way. The minute people (and not computer designers) become free to choose how to look at their computer screeens everyone and their mother voted to look at the in portrait mode. ANd now the vast majority of computer users used portrait mode almost exclusively, and only occasionally switch to landscape when say looking at a long form movie.

Now here's the fact: Standards require us to make students swim a distance. FOr most instructors, that means swimming them some distance in the pool. Which shows nothing. I do my MFS surface swims over a shallow section, and then a hook over deep water. I have had people who showed no previous nervousness decide that that was where they get leave the class, at that hook over deep water.

AT that moment, the snorkel can be justified, and I can also, after the swim, let people know that snorkeling a new dive site (not trundling along in scuba gear huffing through a snorkel, but actually snorkeling and free-diving) can be useful. I also tell them at that point to take off their snorkel and never wear on scuba, you know like their instrcutor is doing. And then I tell them they can't because there are silly skills like snorkel reg exhcange they still have to do, and some waiting on the surface they have to do.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2015 at 10:15 PM ----------

It's pretty obvious to me that you have never taught anyone how to scuba dive. Perhaps you should leave the lofty pronouncements about what is and isn't effective training technique to those of us who do ...

(It's weird when someone with significantly less experience tries to play the experience card on someone else. Why does anyone try and play it at all? There is always someone with more experience and knowledge out there, and playing it always makes the person playing it look bad, especially when used with the ever included "those of us" type phrases. There is probably only one person typing at your computer now, so why act like there are more of you there? "I" is always a better word. I have way, way, way, more experience than you (even if you get to include the us in there), and I agree with everything he is saying. Which makes him what, right, or wrong? Neither is my guess. Address his points. Avoid the as hominem.)

Or you could leave those pronoucements to people who teach diving full-time, for a living, rather than on the odd weekend.

In that case, he goes back to being right. The snorkel teaches nothing that scuba could not teach better, and only encourages bad habits that proper training has to then remove. (Other than perhaps the inital no-mask, snorkel only breathing exercise, which some people find useful. I just do it on scuba because this is scuba diving and bubbles will have to be dealt with all the time anyway.)

The snorkel a crutch for people who are worrying about paying for airfills when training people to use scuba. Or it's not.

The snorkel is a historical "human tail" that just happened to get attached to diving in its evolution. Or it's not.

The snorkel is something that people try and rationalize because we have not managed to get it out of scuba training yet. Or it is not.

The people who dive the most don't use snorkels because it's hard to tuck the mask into the fin pocket with a snorkel on it. And snorkel clips are death to long hair, and neoprene snorkel keepers wear out too fast on anything but the tiny bore snorkels, and those cause too much tubulence to breathe effectively from.

Wow, it goes on and on despite good posts from Bob. I snorkeled for decades prior to OW cert. Got a lot of great shells. Big chop on the ocean and you want to do a long surface swim out then descend without using tank gas. YES, you can swim on your back and continuously twist your head to see where you're going. Or, face down with snorkel use. Or, on back with snorkel use in the chop--YES, don't INHALE when a wave crests over you. I don't do any of this due to my being prone to cramping, so no long surface swims--nothing that I would be concerned with as far as using my reg for tank gas. So, sometimes I still keep a snorkel and recently, sometimes not. Who cares?

Back
Top Bottom