7 foot hose and Snorkel problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your suggestion to 'clip the snorkel off' or "put the snorkel in a pocket" says to me the person talking about things they have not done is not me... How does it end up back on the mask again?

I am beginning to wonder if you are intentionally obtuse or simply unwilling to acknowledge your POV is not the only one. Again, to the video batman, between 2:15 and 2:20. That is how you do that.

I suppose you will argue the point somehow, even with video showing it.. that the snorkel will fall off or not stay attached when you take the mask off etc... but all I can say is, if my twelve year old daughter can do it, probably anyone can (though she is pretty talented) and she has long hair. If you can't figure out how to store a snorkel :idk: but to let you in on a secret: Some people buy folding snorkels, I buy $2 snorkels, put a $4 clip on and store it like a back up light. We call that a "Pro Tip".

[video=youtube;i7NmEO2-2Gk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7NmEO2-2Gk[/video]

Snorkels are not part of scuba diving by definition because they don't work underwater where scuba diving takes place.
Because SCUBA divers never spend any time on the surface. Oh, wait...

Put a snorkel in a pocket? How exactly does that work again?
Take snorkel off mask, roll up and put snorkel in pocket (or clip it to a suitable place on the rig). Duh.

How does it end up back on the mask again?
Take snorkel out of pocket, put mouthpiece in mouth, secure snorkel to or underneath mask strap. Duh.

What pocket is big enough to handle a snorkel that is stiff enough to use in current and waves?
Roll-up snorkel goes in suit pocket, stiff snorkel is attached to rig. Duh.

What snorkel keeper allows a snorkel to be attached to a mask on the head, and still doe not rip a women's hair out when the mask comes off? (I use just such a snorkel keeper when I leave my gear on the float/platform/boat and don't want to remove my mask because I am still in the water, but its not secure enough to keep the snorkel attached when it is not in the mouth.
Stick snorkel under mask strap. Duh.

Methinks someone is being intentionally obtuse.

Snorkels are not part of scuba diving by definition because they don't work underwater where scuba diving takes place.

Darn, missed this. Please explain the smb, whistle and hand pat on head to signal boat you are ok. Do you use those underwater or do they have no place in diving :wink:

Also, some divers regard the PADI OW/AOW cert as what it really is: a license to get airfills and start the real learning process.

Quite a few of my clubmates are PADI certified, simply because PADI is the world's largest agency and PADI shops use rather aggressive pricing and marketing. Then they join a club (just like my BSAC and CMAS certed clubmates) and start their real learning process. I wouldn't be able to tell which of my clubmates have PADI, CMAS or BSAC certs from their skills; the diver themself is a more significant variable for skills than the agency is. I have both CMAS and PADI certed clubmates I'd rather not buddy with, and I have both CMAS and PADI certed clubmates I'd love to buddy up with.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug
I've dived with some recent PADI OW grads who came out of class pretty squared away, and only needed bottom time to round out what they learned in class. It really does boil down to how the class is taught, and the students' ability to absorb what the instructor is teaching. The learning process is a continuum ... no matter how much you learn, there's always something you don't know. I'm delighted when someone can either show me something new or help me see something I thought I knew in a different light ... it's part of what keeps diving fresh and exciting ... and I'm especially delighted when the person showing me such things turns out to be a former student of mine. It's a perverse (and rather satisfying) version of "paying it forward" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Another video showing how a snorkel can be clipped off particularly at 1:35 and 2:54. Though the dive is compressed for video I actually did a longish surface swim back to my entry point, made a lot easier with the snorkel. Beats bushwacking in Bear country.

[video=youtube;L53TdKxrGkk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53TdKxrGkk[/video]

A snorkel's also useful for those who wish to self-don/doff a back-zip drysuit ... but it needs to be a simple J-snorkel. Comes in real handy after the dive if you really need to pee and your dive buddy's not available to help you with the zipper ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I prefer to do my surface swims on my back though on occasion I find facedown (with a snorkel) useful. But I do not need and often (more often than not) do not use a snorkel for surface swims, especially long ones.

The mask that I use predominantly for shore diving has a clip on it and the snorkel attaches to/detaches from that clip. The clip is no issue when not used. The snorkel is a folding/roll up type and it does stow in a pocket when carried. I have an extra XS Scuba pocket (WB101QA) on my harness. I stick it in there when not need completely out of the way. I think the snorkel is also an XS product.

XS Scuba SN650 Cargo

But, I am among the snorkel haters and will not have one on my mask for most diving including shore diving nor even carry one most of the time. They are just not that useful to me.

N

---------- Post added March 25th, 2015 at 07:34 PM ----------

A snorkel's also useful for those who wish to self-don/doff a back-zip drysuit ... but it needs to be a simple J-snorkel. Comes in real handy after the dive if you really need to pee and your dive buddy's not available to help you with the zipper ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

They also make excellent back scratchers, how could anyone not want something that useful dangling from their mask?

N

I asked my instructor if I could keep one on me and not on my mask. She agreed which was great bc I don't own a snorkel:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom