7 LED's light head review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron:
The problem is that no one makes a HID bulb for diving purposes, all of the bulbs used are designed for other things and happen used for dive lights too. If I remember correctly (and if I'm wrong, someone will no doubt correct me), BrightStar bulbs (the tough ones) are designed for cars and Welch-Allen (the fragile ones) are designed for medical/surgical lighting. I agree that LED bulbs are more attractive from a toughness standpoint but the BS bulbs are tough enough to whack the light against the wall as well. But, how much extra is the robustness worth when I'm not seeing people complain about broken BS bulbs?

Em, I was wondering why, the technology is not a new one, mercury lights, sodium lights are all around in Hwy, and I don't see people busy changing lights on Hwy all the time... I think quality is driven by the market... about WA light, I heard people like the color about it... do it has higher color temp or lower, comparing to BS? Or it's the bright/dark spot at the middle? Just wondered....

Do you know any 35W HID bulb for diving? I saw a DIY caniser light and wondered wha t the person has used.

alo100:
Em, I was wondering why, the technology is not a new one, mercury lights, sodium lights are all around in Hwy, and I don't see people busy changing lights on Hwy all the time... I think quality is driven by the market... about WA light, I heard people like the color about it... do it has higher color temp or lower, comparing to BS? Or it's the bright/dark spot at the middle? Just wondered....

Do you know any 35W HID bulb for diving? I saw a DIY caniser light and wondered wha t the person has used.
The technology isn't new but dive lights are a tiny piece of the HIDs that are currently sold. I imagine that the R&D that would be needed is more than the market would justify. I too have heard that the WA bulb produces better illumination but that doesn't help me when I've broken it. I went with the BS bulb.

I know Green Force has a 30w HID, I'm not sure what a DIY job might have used that's 35w.

Looks like a sweet light. Did someone say $1700 though? Ouch!

Where is a link that shows price and availability? I wasn't able to uncover one.

1700 was a mistake, I misread the euro symbol for a pound symbol. It's 950 euros for the lower end model, including the goodman handle, which works out to $1200.

Hmm. $1200 is a lot better, although you can get a 21+ watt HID for that. This is clearly brighter than a 10w HID, but I'd like to see how it compares to the 20-something watt HIDs that it is priced among.

One of the representative said to another guy in a forum about the light head has a socket that would fit for the battery pack made by another company (the person who is interested in the LED light has a canister already). He only has to pay for the light head. The company which is making the battery pack for the guy's canister can stay neutral, or they can also make another strong light head which can fit other popular brands. So I guess the tendency is battery pack is sperated from the light head, and ballast goes with a certain light head. As you make it detachable like lego (or object orientated for Compudude :wink: ), whenever you need to upgrade something you just buy that part. The manufacturers would look at the battery technology, light technology and make decisions.

Apart from that, I have a feeling that buying US$130 bulb once a while would deminish in the future. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom