Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent image quality, more affordable than similar rigs, and compact enough for travelers and novice shooters - is this the new Best Bang For Your Buck in underwater photography? That’s a 10-4, good buddy!

Olympus-EPL-10-Promo.jpg
Meet the new contender for the best compact mirrorless underwater camera: The Olympus E-M10 IV and Backscatter E-M10 IV Octo Housing.

OLYMPUS-EM10IV-Thumbnail.jpg
Watch our complete video review of the Olympus E-M10 IV and Backscatter E-M10 IV Octo Housing.

An Even Better Bang For Your Buck​

The last few years have seen a major rise in the popularity of compact mirrorless cameras for underwater photography. The Olympus E-PL10 was our pick for the Best Bang For Your Buck when paired with the limited edition Backscatter E-PL10 Octo Housing because of how well it balanced performance, ease of use, and value. That camera has now been officially discontinued, so it’s time for something even better to come along: enter the Olympus E-M10 IV and Octo Housing Package.

Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Underwater Camera & Housing Review - [embed sexiest photo we can muster of this rig]
Say hello to our new overall favorite compact mirrorless camera system for underwater photography: The Olympus E-M10 IV and Backscatter E-M10 IV Octo Housing.

What’s upgraded with the E-M10 IV?​

• Image quality improved from 16 to 20 megapixels
  • Dedicated exposure controls: ISO, shutter speed, & aperture
  • More ergonomic shutter activation
  • Automatic TTL flash power with Backscatter Mini Flash 2 via LED flash trigger

The Olympus E-M10 IV can still be used like a point-and-shoot camera with external ‘wet’ conversion lenses or used like an SLR with dedicated wide angle and macro lenses and ports. Keep it simple and versatile, or go for the best image quality possible – the choice is up to you.

The camera and housing system includes everything you need to start shooting straight out of the box. The interchangeable ports and lenses make it easy to upgrade and configure your rig for any type of shot - from ultra wide angle down to super tight macro. The integrated LED flash trigger features automatic TTL flash power and High Speed Sync when used with Backscatter Mini Flash 2 making good lighting results easier to pull off and better looking than ever.

At $799.99 for the camera with lens and $699.00 for the housing, it’s easily the best bang for your buck in underwater photography - not to mention one of the coolest looking rigs around thanks to the custom ‘Octo’ tentacle print (a Backscatter limited edition).

The Backscatter E-M10 IV Octo Housing includes everything needed to start shooting underwater.

Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Underwater Camera & Housing Review - [embed cool photo: someone looking like a badass with this rig underwater]

Attachments

• Olympus-OM-D-E-M10-IV-Underwater-Review-Banner-V6.jpg
    Olympus-OM-D-E-M10-IV-Underwater-Review-Banner-V6.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 187
I have been shooting the EM-10 for about five years. I am looking to upgrade as I want better macro results. I am looking for input on the EM10 IV as compared to the EM1. I kindly ask for input based on real-life personal experience with both cameras. I know the sales jargon. I am looking for someone to share from experience of shooting with both.

Did you use any lights with these shots? I made the decision to jump in and get the pro lens setup and will be buying the lights next month. I won't be able to get in the water until Feb and figured to get the lenses first and practice and learn to use them on land and then get the lights and frame.

Did you use any lights with these shots? I made the decision to jump in and get the pro lens setup and will be buying the lights next month. I won't be able to get in the water until Feb and figured to get the lenses first and practice and learn to use them on land and then get the lights and frame.
No. Was snorkeling in Raja Ampat, so everything was close to the surface with ample natural light.

Back
Top Bottom