OM-1 vs Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ccurnick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently sold my TG-6 as well as my Sony A7Riii topside rig to purchase a better underwater system. I am currently deciding between the OM-1 and Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV. On the surface it looks like the specs are only marginally better on the OM-1. Ease of travel with the system is important to me. Video is not really that important, I primarily shoot macro/fish portraits.

Does anyone have experience with either? Or any recommendations on if the OM-1 is worth the higher price tag?

I have the original E-M10, Mark 1 as it were. Been using it u/w in a Nauticam housing since 2014. One advantage over the M1 is the built-in flash, for triggering a strobe. The M1 has phase+contrast detection focusing; the M10 has contrast only; the M1 will focus faster and better, which is really important.

On the surface it looks like the specs are only marginally better on the OM-1.

"Marginally better"? Are you serious? Did you read about the superior processor on the OM1, faster focusing, etc.?

Yeah I realized my ignorance and I am going with the OM-1. I’m leaning towards the AOI housing and the Olympus 60mm macro and Panasonic 8mm for lenses. Anyone have any suggestions on others to look at? I really like the increased working distance of the 90mm but I’m not entirely sure I want to deal with the extra bulk required at the moment.

I’m leaning towards the AOI housing
I am VERY partial to the Nauticam housings and accessories.

Olympus 60mm macro and Panasonic 8mm for lenses. Anyone have any suggestions on others to look at?

Perhaps the OLY 30mm is a better starter macro than the 60mm.

Also, take a look at the 12-40mm PRO II. It comes bundled with the OM1 camera at big savings.

I really like the increased working distance of the 90mm but I’m not entirely sure I want to deal with the extra bulk required at the moment.
Not sure of what your experience level is but this isn't a "starter" lens. I'd get the 30mm before I'd get the 90mm myself. I am going to be buying the 90mm as soon as I can afford it but I have extensive experience with the 60 and the 12-50mm lenses. I don't think that I'd go for the 90mm from the beginning.

I am VERY partial to the Nauticam housings and accessories.

Perhaps the OLY 30mm is a better starter macro than the 60mm.

Also, take a look at the 12-40mm PRO II. It comes bundled with the OM1 camera at big savings.

Not sure of what your experience level is but this isn't a "starter" lens. I'd get the 30mm before I'd get the 90mm myself. I am going to be buying the 90mm as soon as I can afford it but I have extensive experience with the 60 and the 12-50mm lenses. I don't think that I'd go for the 90mm from the beginning.
Agreed. I use the 30 and the 60 a lot, and used to use the 12-50 macro (macro setting was 43). Although the 90 would be fun, I think it would be very hard to use and would not be a starter lens. The 12-40 PRO with something like a WWL-1 would be fantastic.

I was looking at the 12-40 pro II as well but didn’t think having the 9” dome would be great to travel with. Might just get it for general use anyways in the bundle.

I also wasn’t looking at the nauticam housing for the same reason, but it’s difficult to gauge size without seeing them in person.

As far as experience goes I know my way around a camera topside. I shot macro photos on my Sony a7riii with the 90mm macro for years (technically underwater but in a fish tank 🤣). Not the most experienced underwater photographer by any means though.

The 12-40 works well in a 170mm dome; it's what I've used for years and it's a great option for those dives where you don't know what you're going to get. 170mm is a significant size difference compared to the 8" AOI dome, and enough of a difference to make a difference when traveling.

Agreed. I use the 30 and the 60 a lot, and used to use the 12-50 macro (macro setting was 43). Although the 90 would be fun, I think it would be very hard to use and would not be a starter lens. The 12-40 PRO with something like a WWL-1 would be fantastic.
The 12-40 isn’t listed as compatible with the WWL-1… is this actually the case or are the docs just not updated?

You and I agree on something???? Is the sun rising from the west or did hell freeze over? :p

used to use the 12-50 macro (macro setting was 43).

You don't use it anymore? Why?

The 12-40 PRO with something like a WWL-1 would be fantastic.
I can't find any reference to the WWL-1 being compatible with the 12-40mm lens. Did you mean to say the "WWL-1" or did you mean something else? I know that this 12-40mm is compatible with the ball busting home wrecker poor house driver WACP-1 but not the WWL-1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom