OM-1 vs Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes it is nice -- especially for servicing -- to have all the components be from the same mfg. I know nothing of the Backscatter system, but have never heard of a problem with the Nauticam system. I buy from Reef Photo and Video (colocated with Nautiam USA), not Backscatter, so maybe that is why. The Backscatter system seems more complicated, and definitely costs more.
I talked to backscatter about this.... The benefit to their vacuum system is that you can test the housing without relying on the housings electronic systems, which may help troubleshoot if something goes wrong. For me, this wasn't worth the extra $, bulk and complexity. Just cataloging it here in case someone looks for it in the future.

You could use both, the Backscatter valve and the Nauticam green light if you like. The major disadvantage of the Backscatter system is that if you have a slow leak you only learn about it when a drop of water comes in, the Nauticam (or any other active system) can give you a warning about a slow leak.
Bill

You could use both, the Backscatter valve and the Nauticam green light if you like. The major disadvantage of the Backscatter system is that if you have a slow leak you only learn about it when a drop of water comes in, the Nauticam (or any other active system) can give you a warning about a slow leak.
Bill

So why is Backscatter pushing their system? What advantage does it offer to justify the higher cost and to choose it in pace of the Nauticam system?

I suspect the Backscatter margins are better than the margins they get selling Nauticam but it is only a suspicion. I am not sure it is higher cost though, since the electronics bits are included in the price of many housings.
Bill

The backscatter system is just a vacuum valve system, not a replacement for the leak detection system. The NA-OM1 housing doesnt come with a native vacuum valve. Both nauticam and backscatter sell them. The main difference is the backscatter system has a pressure guage you can attach to measure the negative pressue inside the housing.

Backscatter system: Backscatter AirLock Vacuum System with Manual Valve

Nauticam System: Nauticam M14 Vacuum Valve II System: Pushbutton Release

The leak detection still works with both of these.

I wasn't talking about leak detection, but about monitoring the vacuum over time. The NA-OM-1 housing has the electronics for vacuum monitoring built in but needs a valve. Either valve system Backscatter or Nauticam will work and the vacuum monitoring (and leak detection) should work with either.
Bill

I wasn't talking about leak detection, but about monitoring the vacuum over time. The NA-OM-1 housing has the electronics for vacuum monitoring built in but needs a valve. Either valve system Backscatter or Nauticam will work and the vacuum monitoring (and leak detection) should work with either.
Bill
Off topic but as a new nauticam owner, do these housings need desiccants?
I didnt see any mention of such in the enclosed manual
thnx

thnx
I’ve never used them. I like to button up the housing and pull a vacuum the night before, and try not to have it in air conditioning overnight, but either way I haven’t had any notable condensation issues.

thnx

I have always had desiccant in my camera housings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom