7mm wetsuit Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txgoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone have a rough estimate for the buoyancy of a large 7mm suit? I realize that it may be a bit different with each one, just curious for a ballpark figure to adjust by to get into the pool the first time.

Excited to extend my season.

I added 4 lbs with D6 7mm over Henderson 5mm suit in fresh water. With 7mm suit+3mm hood+3mm gloves I was a little light at 12 lbs on the tail end of dive but 14 was about right.

A common rule of thumb is about 10% of body weight in pounds as a starting point, usually another few pounds to adjust for individual innate buoyancy.

A common rule of thumb is about 10% of body weight in pounds as a starting point, usually another few pounds to adjust for individual innate buoyancy.
that is a bad and almost always too much weight "rule of thumb". In 25 years of teaching, from the cold of Canada to the warmth of the tropics.. I have hated that rule and seen it work to sell weights to students and overweight them greatly.

Start at 5% and do a proper weight check. Take buoyancy swing of whatever tank you are using into consideration (you can google those tables), make sure you can hold safety stop at ~300 psi. Then look at weight distribution. 80% of weight should be ditch-able, take the other 20% and try to position so that you are in trim. However, between proper weighting and trim, proper weighting is most key, get that nailed, then nail trim.

If it’s just the suit alone it averages about 18 to 22 lbs. to break neutral at 20-30 feet or so. But that’s adjustable depending on the type or cut of the suit, attached hood or bib or hooded vest, one piece or two piece.
I know this from freediving. I use a 7 mil attached hood beaver rail John/Jacket 2 piece freediving suit. I’m an XXL (60 cm) - 6’4” and around 230 lbs. smaller suits will use less weight.
From there you have to do the math regarding the added scuba gear/ BC/ tank, metal plate or not, steel or aluminum tank, etc.

that is a bad and almost always too much weight "rule of thumb". In 25 years of teaching, from the cold of Canada to the warmth of the tropics.. I have hated that rule and seen it work to sell weights to students and overweight them greatly.

Start at 5% and do a proper weight check. Take buoyancy swing of whatever tank you are using into consideration (you can google those tables), make sure you can hold safety stop at ~300 psi. Then look at weight distribution. 80% of weight should be ditch-able, take the other 20% and try to position so that you are in trim. However, between proper weighting and trim, proper weighting is most key, get that nailed, then nail trim.

the 80% ditch able, is that for 7mm or dry suit alone diving or would that include warm/3mm too?

If you're going up from a 5mm, maybe start by adding 2 lbs. and see where that gets you.

Eric was close. I ended up diving at 24lbs. That about doubles my weight diving the 5mm Henderson. BUT, I will also say that the D6 suit is built super nice. With the double cuffs and overall quality of the build, it doesn't surprise me after the fact. I suspect that I could drop 2-4 lbs with more time and attention. I did have to add a bit of air to the BC at depth. I suspect that I could dive a bit lighter and fin down to compress the suit a tad.

Water was 55 degrees. Did 44 minutes on dive one and felt wonderful. Climbing back into the suit after the SI was a bit miserable but that isn't the suit's fault. The second dive was equally nice once we got under water.

I was very pleased with the suit. The suit had the normal intrusion of water in the back. But because so little water is being exchanged, I noticed that my body was able to warm up the water on the inside of the suit much faster than it does in my 5mm. The only struggle with this suit is getting my feet out of the ankle seals. But the added warmth is so worth any hassle getting out of the suit. Would absolutely buy again. Oh, and my first time diving with thigh pockets. LOVE them!!!

Just did a fresh water/pool test with my new Bare Reactive 7mm in XLT (6-2” / 220lb)

My goal/measure was to float just below the surface upright and not moving with just snorkel sticking out and breathable. (So basically just over my mask)

No wet suit & no bcd/tank = 4lbs
7mm wet suit & no bcd/tank = 28lbs

24lbs buoyant give or take a 1lb

Used a weight belt at waist level

Just did a fresh water/pool test with my new Bare Reactive 7mm in XLT (6-2” / 220lb)

My goal/measure was to float just below the surface upright and not moving with just snorkel sticking out and breathable. (So basically just over my mask)

No wet suit & no bcd/tank = 4lbs
7mm wet suit & no bcd/tank = 28lbs

24lbs buoyant give or take a 1lb

Used a weight belt at waist level
Anecdotally, holy shizpoo

New D6 7mm size small, pair of empty AL80s 4lb

Back
Top Bottom