8.0 megapixels almost here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8 mg already out. Sony. My sister got hers about a month ago. Takes unbelievable pictures but shes a former pro so she really knows her craft.

gilligan

there reviews on reseller ratings is all that good, there have been a fair number of complaints in the past (Link) http://www.resellerratings.com/seller_info.pl?seller_id=2074

well consumers may fall for the trap but those who know what happens when you over pack a sensor will see straight through it. as for more posters being made, i can already do that with a 3 mp camera, but it takes alot of processing to do that with some expsensive software to do it. i dont think most users are going to spend that much money to make a poster from there image, if anything the might make a 8x10 from it. for example do you think a nikon 8mp or a sony 8mp could produce a image that is better then say a Canon 1D, 10D or the new 1D mk II straight out of the camera?.

FWIW

Tooth

plus also alot of the features being claimed on these cameras are in the realm of RAW files, but most people/consumers arent going to use these features as they dont or wont have the computer programs to use it (by average person i mean aunt sally or uncle joe who want to take pictures of the grand kids , and probably leave the camera in auto all the time)

FWIW

Tooth

Hello,

8 megs is nothing. look at the Canon 1Ds 11.1mp and kodak DCS pro 14n 13.8mp.

Ed

blacknet:
Hello,

Ed

At least the Canon works. As everyone stated more is not better, from all reviews the Kodak is very "noisy" and not worth it.

I suspect that within 24 months (or sooner) we are going to be well to the point of diminishing returns with regard to pixel counts. Whats the point of being able to shoot a 50Mb .RAW file when your PC will take forever to open it and editing will become slow as molasses unless you constantly update your system. Give me a 8-11Mb 35mm emulator DSLR (i.e. full frame equivelent) that does not fill the buffer and can handle realistic ISO values...did I mention at a reasonable price (under $1500.00 body)...thats more useful to creating good images and will bring digital closer to earning the word "photography"-v-imaging!

MosheDayan, PC's will get faster and CCD's will get bigger. I think a good analogy is what happened with LCD monitors. A few years ago you would pay $600-$700 for a 15 inch monitor. LCD monitors were hard to get through quality control. Or consider Leica cameras, they used to brag that they threw away more glass than Nikon used in a year.

One of these cameras is bound to have a superior lens which will reduce the problems associated with a small CCD.

blacknet:
Hello,

Ed

is that all?

i have seen pics of the new 41MP backs for the medium format cameras.

different league, but one day we could be shooting with the same in a normal camera body.

going back the the 8 megs and everyones moans, just because they use the same sensor doesn't mean that they are going to give same results.

the S2 and the D100 use the same sensor, but Nikon couldn't get TTL to work with it but Fuji did.

rather than tear strips off them, why not wait and see what comes out of the wash?

<Flame suit on>

ok i have problem with the marketing departments of all of the manufactures now, because of instead of improving the noise and compression algorithms, they have decided that competing in the my sensor has more pixels then yours is much better is much better.

the sad thing that most people dont get is that more pixels doesnt mean a better picture, only a bigger file size to eat up more card space, so on and so forth. plus most people dont even edit there images or store them and only take them to get 4x6's done or delete them.

i will bet a last nickel that all of these cameras coming out now with the 8 megapixel sensors will have the same noise issues as the sony 828, or other problems.

but anyways consumer cameras will never be able to compete with the DSLR's in sharpness and noise (or lack of) so it doesnt really matter to me.

my next camera will either be the Canon 10D replacement or the new 1D mk II :D

clive you are right: the med format back are a completely different league because the chips are twice the size of even the 1Ds and that the makers have even tighter QC in place so that the images are clean and crisp at higher iso's , but then again the price you pay for these is quite different and the same price as a car

FWIW

tooth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom