8.0 megapixels almost here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clive francis:
"the S2 and the D100 use the same sensor, but Nikon couldn't get TTL to work with it but Fuji did."

For the record the Fuji S2 and Nikon D100 "DO NOT !" use the same CCD, and TTL is not related to the CCD. TTL is determined by the measured reflectance off the "film" plane by a seperate sensor to trigger the flash shutoff. Fuji did the homework and came up with body that worked with standard TTL (Nikon dedicated) flash units. Nikon did not and forces you to upgrade even more of your equipment to keep up. Planned obsolences ?

"Or consider Leica cameras, they used to brag that they threw away more glass than Nikon used in a year........."

And look how expensive Leica's remain....

"One of these cameras is bound to have a superior lens which will reduce the problems associated with a small CCD"

The lens is not the issue. Stuffing too many pixels onto a tiny sub-APS sensor IS the problem. Whether it can be solved with a firmware revison remains to be seen. Hey...the cameras are just tools anyway....but...I fail to appreciate the need for anything beyond 11-13 MP when you can print that well beyond 8x14 with no appreciable loss to film. I still believe it becomes a point of diminishing returns for most photographers/imagers. Oh...I forgot to mention....I can shoot 4fps with my current SLR until I am out of film...can you do that with YOUR digital camera? Or do you get "buffer full" after a couple of shots? Hmmmm?
Oh....as a note for the huge medium format users I believe they require a laptop or other PC to be connected as the current portable media is still too small and slow for it to provide good throughput.

dyan

you must have been reading Dpreview tonight, as i just read that, but if there planning what i think they are lecia users are going to pay $$$$$ for that option on there camera.

but you are right you only need a 5mp to make a 8x10 at dpi rates equal to film on fuji frontier printers. you are correct on the lenses because most sensors and use the most out of them anyways, except maybe for the DSLRs , but thats above what most consumers will spend

as for larger MP sensors the only use i see in them is if you plan to do large prints or to do alot of cropping, but even that doesnt matter because of the advacned software on the market i can blow up a 3mp image to somthing like 8x its orginal size with out any loss of native sharpness (might mean a little more USM but not alot). on the SLRs that is so true, but i cant wait to see the buffer tests onthe new 1D mk II on how long it will take the buffer to unload full of images.

but who knows what the marketing wizards will think of next, oh i mean engineers

Tooth

Scubatooth:
dyan

i can blow up a 3mp image to somthing like 8x its orginal size with out any loss of native sharpness (might mean a little more USM but not alot)

Tooth

Lets see it ! Of course a 3 MB image doesn't have much resolution to begin with.

dave

i dont mean to start a flame or anything but a 3mp camera is good enough to do a 5x7 at 300 dpi which is industry standard for printing photos, and graphics work, any thing above that is wasted pixels(go look at the specs on a fuji frontier 390 print dpi rate is 305).

as for the GF or S-Spline image the file comes out to about several hundred mega bites, and sometimes closer to a 1 GB

the most i have ever used GF For was at school for a x30 starting with a 3 mp fuji 6900 image and it was a 5x interpolation(32768x24576, and a file size around 500+ MB) and then cropping and a USM pass and printed at 720 dpi (which is the native resoultion of the printer with out need of a raster image processor of the epson 9600) to make the print. for reference the image was of a group of actors in the colleges theater in the middle of a production "guys and dolls"

if you want a link on other ways interpolation software has bee used in real life look here.

http://www.interpolatethis.com/reallife1.html the guy was using a D60 set in high Jpeg mode and used S-Spline 2 to make the image that was going on a moving truck

FWIW

Tooth

In a related topic. Canon has released the new 8 MP Pro 1. The review I read promised a housing.

I'm hoping to see a shootout between the Canon, Sony, Nikon and Oly cameras sometime soon. Hopefully they've upgraded the lenses and imaging programs along with the pixel count.

Steve

http://www.interpolatethis.com/reallife1.html the guy was using a D60 set in high Jpeg mode and used S-Spline 2 to make the image that was going on a moving truck
How on earth did he end up with an 18MB JPEG file from a 6MP camera?

ReyerR. I dont know, i would think that if he took the high jpeg and converted it to a Tiff for working on the image in the interpolator and Photoshop. if i read right the ending file was 156 mb in jpeg and the working file was like 1 GB, before then finilized the file.

using figures from dpreview.com
high jpeg file is 2.5 MB, and when converted to tiff with no lzw compression would be around 18 mb. if its beyond that i have no question i may have to email the guy to find out.

friscuba one would hope that they improve the processing but the chips are like the sony they will all have excessive noise issues, the only saving grace for the canon is that it has L series(ie $$$ dollars for normal SLR lens) glass in the lense assembly, but then again the test will tell. and looking at Dprview.com lexar just released a 8GB CF card, thats one heck of a card but i would be scared to have a card like that.

FWIW

tooth

I went to the interpolatethis.com link he listed and followed all the links. I finally went to the home page (no direct link, just deleted the extraneous address info in the address bar) and they had a link to a free download on Cnet.com.

Their enlarging/pixel smoothing program does a great job. I don't know that the enlarged results produce the same photo quality that the original photo has, but it does effectively remove the pixellation on the blowups I tried. The files you end up with definitely can be significantly larger than the original picture if you increase the photo size or the pixels, or combination thereof.

ReyeR:
How on earth did he end up with an 18MB JPEG file from a 6MP camera?

I would think that if he took the high jpeg and converted it to a Tiff for working on the image in the interpolator and Photoshop.
Ok, that makes better sense - it's just the way he put it it sounded like he got an 18MB JPEG file out of his 6MP camera!
I compared the samples and the interpolation doesn't look too bad. Lots of JPEG artefacts though - one project that would have benefitted using RAW or TIFF.

Back
Top Bottom